Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability > Livestock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2014, 09:48 PM   #1
Heron

Default Reviving ,thriving ,being born chickens!

Its been a year, spring is coming and its time to rethink the coops and the chickens.... Anyone got eggs in the brooder or has hens setting yet? How about chicks you may have picked up?
This year we decided to try Sagitta chickens , so we picked up a few and are raising them in the brooder until its warm enough out side. These are crossed
RIR,AND NEW HAMPSHIRE CHICKENS CROSSED WITH A WHITE CORNISH HEN
I only got a few, we have girls that go broody several times a year so we decided not to get much of anything new as we will have enough chicks soon enough. All my girls faired well, lost a three year old ( egg bound) but the others never had any problems, no frozen combs, all was well through out the severe cold temps.
Im anxious to hear how others are dong, and what new chicks,or chickens they got, and updates on there coops its SPRING I FEEL LIKE DANCING,!
Doozerdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:20 PM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

Everyone was well and accounted for until spring. I've lost quite a few to hawks in the last month. They're nesting... they're hungry. They're navigating in around the fishing line by swooping in by the entrance then literally chasing after my chickens on foot. I've got my Ameraucana rooster cooped up inside until the hawks are done raising their young. Not much more I can do. There's no way to protect the chickens because the run is around fruiting trees.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:30 PM   #3
Heron

Sorry to hear that Lb , im looking forward to babies hatching here son, and we went ahead and went for a few sagetta birds to add to the mix. There crosses and supposed to be awesome egg layers. I want eggs, so on order to get eggs i cross breed my birds and find i get an egg from them every day lest one day a week, we are sitting pretty here lol. Hows life treating you? Hope you and the family are fine, its been a while, i have had lots going on, been at the hospital a lot in the last months. Missing our talks, im off to bed. Been a log day !
Old 05-17-2014, 10:12 AM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

Ha ha ha.... "Hows life treating you?"...about as good as it treats everyone else!!!
--
This morning when I woke up I found that 3.5 of the 5 eggs I'd put under a chicken had hatched. The 4th chick should be completely out of its egg by the time I go back out there. I have no clue whether the 5th egg will hatch or not.... time will tell. This was my "tester" batch of eggs just to make sure Arthur was doing his "thang" before I started sending eggs out. Looks like he was doing his "thang"!!!! What's interesting is that so far.... the 3.5 I've seen all look to be black Ameraucana. Here's hoping you get all black. I like the black ameraucanas the best.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:44 PM   #5
Heron

Im expecting 4 chicks to hatch this next week, candled them noght before last. There part aracona and mixed barnyard lol.

Tags
born, chickens, reviving, thriving