Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability > Livestock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 03:37 AM   #1
Heron

Default Winter work on the coop... Keeping hens feet safe

Lib, here is a picture of my roosts covered by carpet. Stapled on and easy to remove and redo

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=205874489570015&l=92b8d8f4bc
Attached Thumbnails
Winter work on the coop... Keeping hens feet safe-1010844_205874369570027_1634327790_n.jpg  

Last edited by TheLorax; 01-05-2014 at 11:12 AM. Reason: addition of supporting picture
Doozerdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:41 AM   #2
Heron

Thought i would add a few more pictures,

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=205874369570027&l=0ae29ef678

The eggs im getting .. And im getting bang up eggs. Im using led christmas lights , one strand and there laying like mad!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=240081176149346&l=9428d31dcd
Attached Thumbnails
Winter work on the coop... Keeping hens feet safe-1012225_205874489570015_1318636913_n.jpg   Winter work on the coop... Keeping hens feet safe-1003555_240081176149346_2030702341_n.jpg  

Last edited by TheLorax; 01-05-2014 at 11:15 AM. Reason: addition of supporting pictures
Old 01-06-2014, 05:14 AM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

My babies crap all over their 2 x 4 roost. I have to scrape their poops off with a paint scraper tool. I can't believe how clean your carpeted 2 x 4 is. I was watching the weather and freaking out before I called you. I've got my little "Ruthie" who is the size of a bantam out there and she's a pet like Phyllis and Mildred and a few of the others are. I almost brought her in the house when I saw -27 forecasted for this coming Tuesday night but.... I added another heat lamp yesterday and spread out 2 more bags of chips and shavings on the floor in the coop then added more bales of straw around the outside of the coop like a skirt and called it a day what with your comments about large fowl being good down to -40 in an insulated coop with deep litter. I'll admit.... I'll probably break down tomorrow. I don't know if I can sleep knowing Ruthie would be out there at her peanut size.
--
My ameraucanas started laying already and now the barred rocks are laying. I'm getting about a carton and a half every 2 days. They started laying sporadically after Christmas but within 3 days of me sticking a 250W heat lamp out there.... they really started laying. Last Friday.... I added another heat lamp. Yesterday.... I got 13 eggs from 16 hens and it's only the beginning of January so lighting definitely plays into the equation.
--
I like the color of those green eggs. I never get any eggs that color. I get a range of cream and tan to a darker brown and light blue eggs but no greens. The eggs you'll get from the Ameraucana eggs I'll be sending you will all be the color of the 2 sky blue eggs in the top of your egg crate.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:29 AM   #4
Alternate POM Judge

This is good info to keep in mind as I work on getting ready for chickens. Let us know how things go with your chickens in this cold equil.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:58 AM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

Doozer PROMISED me they'd be fine since all my birds are large fowl not bantams so I'm resisting the urge to bring my little Ruthie inside the house. She should know since she's out in Montana.... think of that movie 'Fargo' when you think of her since where she lives has weather that gets colder than it does in Fargo ND. Anywhooo.... I'm particularly attached to a few of my chickens and Ruthie is 1 of them. I went out and did a "feet and beak" check and didn't trip over the heavy duty extension cord we ran out to the coop so that's a good thing. So far so good. It got a little colder than they said it would last night but they revised the weather report for today and tonight and supposedly we're only going to dip down to -23. The windows in my coop are all argon gas filled and I've got drifts of snow up against 2 sides of the coop so that helps too. Snow is really a great insulator!!! I'm lucky we got so much snow in the last week or so all factors considered.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:49 PM   #6
Heron

Im glad all is well, i know how you feel my girls are my famly lol. Those green eggs are actually olive eggs, from my olive egger ( maran / ameracana ) i have two laying that color. And yep lights help with eggs big time, i get lots of eggs. I laughed about the poop on the roosts, kine never ever poop on them. I love the two by 4 as the girls can sit on there feet to keep them warm. And mine are clean , no poop. We are only in the single digets right jow, 21 being the high they say, but not et, and it was 9 below last night. Colder tonight . Girls are doing well, just make sure there have a nice treat to sleep on like oatmeal or warm left overs. Full crops help them to stay warer as it works through there systems at night.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:44 PM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

My coop is on skids and I've got bales of straw around the bottom of it and I'm still running with the "deep litter" and so far so good. It was -18 last night and today the highs only hit -14 and they're still holding their own. They're eating 2x the amount they'd normally consume though and that's fine by me. Tonight's gonna be another doozie but tomorrow it's supposed to warm up a bit. I've been checking my babies before I go to work and soon as I come home and then again before I go to bed and today I flat out stayed home and took a day off because of my chickens and no problems with their feet even with the whole coop on skids but.... I have been running 2 heat lamps off an extension cord I ran out there. The only bad thing that happened is that the upper most tips of Pretty Boy Floyd's comb are black meaning even though I never let him out of the coop any day the temps have dropped below 24.... it got so cold in the coop what with all the negative double digit weather we've been having that he's lost about 1/4" off the tips of his comb to frost bite. I called the vet and asked if I needed to bring him in and he said no. I guess I chalk that up to being cosmetic.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:07 PM   #8
Heron

Make sure to put a coating of some form on there combs , vasoline, or bag balm. Your coop must get real cold. We has 40 b for several days and my girls did not have any problems. Can not wait untl spring!

Tags
coop, feet, hens, keeping, safe, winter, work