Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability > Livestock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
Heron

promise Lib, best eating chicken?

Hey, i know its been a while but life as i knew it changed drastically so i have been away for a while. Anyways i know you eat your birds, so my question is what one bird was/ is the best tasting besides cornish.... Im putting eggs under my girls when they become broody and i had heard dorkings are good tasting. Now to find dorking eggs, and Americana eggs. Are these both good tasting? I want to have my broodies raise and care for them, then I'm having a local gal dress them for me. How old before they can be dressed, and what would you pay to have it done? Im a good chicken owner and know many things, but eating them. Now is a new one im willing to try
Doozerdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

I think the best tasting is Dorking.... albeit a little chewy though since they're pretty active birds and well.... they fly well... real well. 2nd best would be a toss up between a Freedom Ranger or a Red Ranger and that's only because they grow much faster than a Dorking and they're not nearly as active as dorkings so toward the end of their lives.... they just hang around eating and drinking and eating and drinking and sleeping and eating and drinking.
--
Ameraucana can be eaten and it tastes like chicken and all but they're not as big and beefy as an Orpington so I'd be inclined to slip Orpington or rangers under any hens you want to raise meat birds. Any breed that develops slowly and has a normal activity level is not exactly going to be tender like the over-processed Tyson chicken we've all grown accustomed to. They're still great for soups and stews.... they just won't be what you're used to if they're fried or broiled.
--
I pay around $3.25 per bird for processing and I have to drive over the border into WI to get to the processor because all of our local processors have been run out of business. I think the closest in IL that's still open and processing is about 3 hours away from me. Anywhooo... I would think that you'd be able to find somebody cheaper than what I've got to pay since you're in MT.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:38 AM   #3
Heron

Tyson does cornish cross dont they? And guess what? There is no processing plant here, heck its almost impossible to find anyone to process! So you think orphingtons are good eating? I do not want anything big, heck i figured if my hens hatched out even leghorns that would be ok to eat right? Im counting on some of your eggs this year ! I need to throw in some beauty into my flock, and good layers. Though im getting eggs from all ten hens, i added light ( led christmas lights on the ceiling) and there poping them out faster then i can get rid of them lol. Everyone in my family are eating or baking eggs.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:31 AM   #4
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doozerdoo View Post
heck its almost impossible to find anyone to process!
If you know anyone who hunts, ask them if they know of someone who cleans ducks, geese, etc. They'll probably clean any bird for cash. They're called "pickers" around here.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:53 AM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

Cornish x = white broiler and I'm pretty sure that's the only breed BigAg puts on our plates. Interestingly enough.... I was reading how Tyson bought up all the rights to Cornish x by buying out all the associated hatcheries or something along those lines so if we buy them... we're supporting BigAg.
--
I don't think you'd be happy with leg horns.... they're gonna be chewy and beyond that.... their temperament isn't the greatest. Orpingtons are "plumper" than other heritage breeds so I think the fat on them goes a long way to duplicating the meat of a "broiler" breed.
--
So far so good for counting on me for eggs. My Blue Orpington and my Black Ameraucana cockerels are not going at each other's throats. Thank God. I never want to go out to my chicken coop again to find blood splattered wallks like I did last year. I got rid of a really fantastic Orpington cockerel because of that and kept the Dorking that I was attached to that got bloodied only to have to give him away because after he got attacked.... he decided he didn't want to stay in the run and kept flying out. Those blasted dorkings fly well even with clipped wings and I can honestly say I'll probably never do them again because of that. They're really sweet birds but.... there's just no way to keep them safe with my set up.
--
Back to eggs.... if you want "purty" birds and "purty" blue eggs.... you'll want the Ameraucana. What I need to do is find cheap bubble wrap for sale. I found some at WalMart for like $17 but I hate spending $$$ there so you don't by any chance know anywhere else I could pick up cheap bubble wrap do you? Each egg I send you is going to have to be individually bubble wrapped and then placed in an ornament box with compartments before being wrapped in bubble wrap again before it gets shipped to you or you'll end up with 1 big smelly mess on your hands.
--
BTW.... my ameraucanas just started laying again. They're always the 1st to stop laying and the 1st to start laying again soon as the days start getting longer. My barred rocks should start laying next. They're excellent layers.... just like australorps are.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:57 AM   #6
Heron

Lib, i will send you the cash through paypal for the shipping and things you need to buy ok. Question, do you have barred rock roosters? I ask as i woul like a few, also want the orphington , and ameracauna you have . I get every color of the rainbow in eggs, browns, pinkish, green, blue and olive colored. Even a white egg and a whitish orange egg from of all chickend my leghorn mix
Attached Thumbnails
Lib, best eating chicken?-image.jpg  
Old 01-02-2014, 02:00 AM   #7
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by biigblueyes View Post
If you know anyone who hunts, ask them if they know of someone who cleans ducks, geese, etc. They'll probably clean any bird for cash. They're called "pickers" around here.
I dont know anyone , but i do have a gal who says she can do it this summer when and if i get roosters. Im hoping to have at least ten birds to dress this summer for my freezer.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:39 PM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

I don't want your $$$ honey!!! I don't take money for shipping from anyone... never have and I'm not starting with you!!! I'm not taking $$$ from you for packing materials either.... sheesh!!! The bubble wrap is like only 4 or 5 bucks at K-Mart and what's a few heat packs!!! My little flock is split between ameraucanas and orpingtons pretty even with a rooster for each of those breeds and then my barred rock hens that are pets. No barred rock rooster so I can't get you any pure bred eggs. Barred rocks are a dime a dozen though. It shouldn't be hard getting a rooster in that breed if you want 1. Just go to the 4H area at your county fair and I'm sure some kid will be selling a roo that's been handled a lot.
--
Just an FYI.... I had you down for Ameraucana hatching eggs.... the chickens that lay the sky blue eggs. I've got EW down for Orpington and a few neighbors want her hatching eggs if she isn't ready to start chickens this year so you'd have to wait till next year on Orpingtons since I'm only going to go through splitting my birds apart to get pure bred eggs 1x this year. It'd be too much on me doing that 2x in the same year but... if EW backs out of Orpington eggs and my neighbor backs out too... they're yours in addition to the Ameraucana eggs. Here's hoping if that happens you've got a lot of broody goils so you can spread the eggs out!!!
Old 01-30-2014, 01:51 PM   #9
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I don't want your $$$ honey!!! I don't take money for shipping from anyone... never have and I'm not starting with you!!! I'm not taking $$$ from you for packing materials either.... sheesh!!! The bubble wrap is like only 4 or 5 bucks at K-Mart and what's a few heat packs!!! My little flock is split between ameraucanas and orpingtons pretty even with a rooster for each of those breeds and then my barred rock hens that are pets. No barred rock rooster so I can't get you any pure bred eggs. Barred rocks are a dime a dozen though. It shouldn't be hard getting a rooster in that breed if you want 1. Just go to the 4H area at your county fair and I'm sure some kid will be selling a roo that's been handled a lot.
--
Just an FYI.... I had you down for Ameraucana hatching eggs.... the chickens that lay the sky blue eggs. I've got EW down for Orpington and a few neighbors want her hatching eggs if she isn't ready to start chickens this year so you'd have to wait till next year on Orpingtons since I'm only going to go through splitting my birds apart to get pure bred eggs 1x this year. It'd be too much on me doing 2x in the same year but... if EW backs out of Orpington eggs and my neighbor backs out too... they're yours in addition to the Ameraucana eggs. Here's hoping if that happens you've got a lot of broody goils so you can spread the eggs out!!!
Thats awesome, thank you so much sweetie! Im looking forward to your eggs ---- why? Cause im getting a brooder! I really want your Americauna so am working on having a brooder in the next month! When do you think you will have eggs to send?
Old 01-30-2014, 02:51 PM   #10
Alternate POM Judge

wait wait wait don't give away my eggs just yet.

Tags
chicken, eating, lib