Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability > Livestock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2013, 07:09 PM   #1
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

chicken ~Five Chickens Found!

Gudgreef! We were driving along the Niagara River looking for ducks and what do we find? Chickens! They were huddled in front of a door to a small utility thing in the public park!

Can these birds fly? How did they get there? No houses nearby. It was very cold last night but it's 37 now, though maybe colder by the river.

We had nothing to transport chickens in and no where to put them in the condo.

Who do you call for chickens?

~Five Chickens Found!-p1670405.jpg

~Five Chickens Found!-p1670409.jpg
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:17 AM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

Ohhh.... pick that bantam australorp or maybe that adorable bantam barred rock and take it home.... a small chicken must be your destiny.... Finally.... a traveling buddy for the Cookiecat!!!
--
Just kidding. I can honestly say you wouldn't want a pet chicken in your condo and especially not 5.... even if they're small bantams. Chickens are major league feather and dust factories and beyond that... poop machines and.... their poops STINK big time!!!
--
I'd call the non-emergency line to the local police department. The cops will call animal control.... what animal control is going to do with them after they loop or net them is beyond me but let them figure it out. Most chickens fly well enough to get up into the safety of a tree at night but beyond that they're pretty much ground birds... they definitely run fast when chased. Judging by the door frame in the photo, the chickens you found look like bantams not large fowl chickens. Those are much smaller that what I've got so they're probably not going to deal with temps below freezing too well even though there's 5 of them to huddle together for warmth.
--
Chickens don't really travel far even if they get out of a run. Problem is everything likes chicken meat.... coyotes, raccoons, opossums, hawks, owls and when they do get out.... they usually don't last long. There's 5 of them... in the middle of nowhere so.... somebody probably dumped em. Some parents let little kids get chicks and bunnies for Easter while others buy those table top incubators for eggs without making arrangements for what survives the "educational" experience. The chicks... like puppies and kittens.... are cute when they're little... not so cute when they grow up. I think if was last year somebody left a box on my front door step and it had 2 RIR chickens in it. Really tame so they were some local kid's science fair or 4H project that grew up. No way was I keeping them... not a chance I'd mix somebody else's chickens in with mine. I called animal control direct. They picked em up and I have no clue what they did with them because nobody in their right mind who raises chickens would add "stray" chickens to their flock no matter how healthy they look.
--
Gotta run.... husband is booting me off the computer... he says it's time to take off. We've got to pick up a kid from college for winter break. His last final is this morning and we should be driving onto campus right about the time he's on his way home from his last exam if we leave right now!!!
Old 12-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #3

Hey, I'm just thinking what a coincidence it is that those chickens got dumped just as schools are going on winter break! I'm very suspicious...
Old 12-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #4
Alternate POM Judge

Aaww I hope they are ok. I would have taken them but too far.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #5

Those five were gone by today but I found out the SPCA got about twenty chickens yesterday. Very suspicious just when the schools are closing, don't you think?
Old 12-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #6
Alternate POM Judge

I've seen cats homeless when school closes. Chickens are a new one. Ugh!
Old 12-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #7
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Some people just don't think before they purchase.
They see those cute little fuzzy warm chicks and ducks, Whip out the cash thinking they'd be fun to have then when the reality of a long cold winter hits them in the face and with no place to house them..... What's person to do?
HEY! Lets give them a fling where hope fully someone finds them and takes them in...It's sad

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #8
Alternate POM Judge

My friend has been rescuing cats for years. First the cats abandoned at her apartment complex and today the many that find their way to her farm

Tags
chickens, found