Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability > Livestock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default My Pretty Boy Floyd!!!

This is the "little" Blue Orpington cockerel I got late last spring from a friend. Tee he he.... he's not so little anymore. You can get an idea of the height on him from the hog panel in the background and that 4th photo of him with a few full grown Orpington hens near him. He definitely has some height to him because those hens are big birds. Orpingtons in general are a big bird compared to other breeds of chicken and they're stocky too... perfect for the Upper Midwest. He's not so gangly looking anymore either!!! I never thought he'd amount to much of anything but he's looking a LOT better than I ever thought he would. I've decided to name him Pretty Boy Floyd because he's turning out sorta nice. He's not show quality but he sure is "handsome". He's almost 8 months old so he's got some growing to do and he'll fill in more but.... he's already over 10 lbs. I'm guessing from picking him up that he's got to be close to 12 lbs. His dad was about 14 lbs so he could end up getting a lot bigger than he is right now. Time will tell. Oh... and that last photo.... he'd had enough of getting his photo taken so he walked off. He's got a real nice fluffly Orpington butt doesn't he!!!
Attached Thumbnails
My Pretty Boy Floyd!!!-img_3043.jpg   My Pretty Boy Floyd!!!-img_3046.jpg   My Pretty Boy Floyd!!!-img_3051.jpg   My Pretty Boy Floyd!!!-img_3054.jpg   My Pretty Boy Floyd!!!-img_3058.jpg  

Old 09-23-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Very nice.

I like how you did your fence, too.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
Fox

pawprint

Handsome family of chickens you have raised, I'll bet they are lots of fun to have around.

ww
Old 09-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Wow! He is a pretty handsome boy!

What do you do with them in the winter?
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #5
Alternate POM Judge

He's a beauty!
EllenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

Dappy> “I like how you did your fence, too.” It’s sturdy enough to keep out the coyotes, foxes, and stray dogs and with the chicken wire…. it keeps in little chicks so they don’t stray off and end up in the belly of a snake or raccoon or whatever. I’ve discovered there are a lot of critters out there that like chicken dinners as much as we do. The problem with my fencing choice for this area is that it’s not enough…. hawks and owls are in the local area so the best I could do was string fishing line over the top of my main run to deter them from killing every chicken I’ve got and the hog panels are only 4.5’ tall. Here’s what happens even with a fishing line “laced” top, see post #13, Some lessons learned about day olds..... Barring the fact that raptors can still sometimes “strike” through…. think about the strain on your back having to walk around in a chicken run changing water and picking fruit from the trees bent over like the hunchback of Notre Dame because of all the fishing line. There is no way anyone but a little kid can stand up right in that run. If I had to do it over again…. I’d make the run of 6’ chain link and I’d create posts throughout that could support panels of chicken wire to protect the chickens from overhead threats so at least I could stand upright in the run. As it is…. I did end up giving away my Dorking rooster and 3 Dorking hens and a few Dorking pullets. The rest of the dorkings ordered and raised this year are going to freezer camp because…. I give up trying to contain them…. they fly too well and when they get out of the run during the day…. they’re fair game for anything that wants to eat them. I religiously clipped their flight wings and they could still fly well enough to get up through my fishing line and out into the gardens to help themselves to whatever I was growing that tasted good to them where…. they were literally out in the open like sitting ducks. I work some pretty long days…. I had my neighbors stopping in when they could over the summer during the day. They netted a few and put them back in the run while I was gone. Even with help…. I still lost over 10 dorkings. They’re sweet docile birds…. they just need to be in a fully enclosed run is all. Like most birds…. they see well and they’ll find any gaps between strung fishing line and they’ll take off through them. So…. my fencing choice is great… as long as there’s no predators from above looking for a chicken meal. Problem is…. you wouldn’t know that until after you started raising chickens so like I said…. I’d go with a chain link fence next time around and connected smaller runs that could support “lids” instead of 1 large run.
--
ww> Thank you thank you thank you…. I really like the looks of the breeds we have too and they’ve got enough meat on their bones to handle our winters with protection. I love the fluffy bottoms of the orpingtons and the little muffs and beards on the ameraucanas. The ameraucanas lay the blue eggs. What’s even better than their looks is that every one of them can be picked up by just about anyone… even little kids…. well…. except for Floyd…. he’s already waaaaaaaaay too big for little kids to pick up. The other thing that’s “fun” about them is that anyone can walk in my run or coop without getting pegged. Our birds come right up to visitors just like they come right up to us so I get a lot of people coming to see the chickens…. not coming to see me. It’s pretty funny actually. Even my UPS man comes over here with his kids.
--
Speaking of having chickens around being fun… Pretty Boy Floyd is like a teen in the back of his mom’s van!!! He’s just coming into sexual maturity and he knows what he’s got but he hasn’t quite figured out how to go about using it yet so he’s into sneak attacks trying to get himself laid!!! It’s the funniest thing. He’ll wait until they’re pecking at treats or bending over to get a drink of water and…. that’s when he’ll try to mount them. So far…. he’s striking out… they’re onto him and they’re quicker than him but…. sooner or later he’ll start figuring out how to assert his dominance with the goils!!! I can’t wait for the somersault phase of his foray into roosterdom!!! After that…. the fun’s over until Arthur starts coming into sexual maturity and then it’ll start all over again.
--
Sage> Here’s what I have…. I’ve got Pretty Boy Floyd and his lovely ladies Claire and Vera that are blue orpingtons, Delilah that’s a dark splash Orpington, and Norma and Oprah that are black orpingtons. Then there’s my new little Ameraucana cockerel that’s just over 4 months old named Arthur. He’s from the same line that Herschel and Horace were from. Once he gets a little older and figures out he’s a rooster…. his lovely ladies will be Pearl and Opal that are blue ameraucanas then Ruthie, Edna, Esther, and Ethel that are black ameraucanas. I still have Mildred, she’s a barred rock. She’s pretty old now. I felt bad for her being the only barred rock out there so since they’re really great egg layers, I decided to keep a few that were ordered this spring. Actually…. things got a little crazy this year and I forgot I’d ordered them and decided not to cancel the order when I did remember. So, I’ve got 3 little barred rock hens set aside from that batch. I’ve named them Maxine, Myrtle, and Molly. We’ll have to see if I’ll be able to keep all 3 of them. When they were 1st given their own run….. Molly got spooked when a stray dog got in the yard and charged the run then ran around it barking. She flew up into the netting and got tangled in it. She hurt her neck and then dropped back down and hurt her leg. There are times when I could just scream. I have no idea why so many people think it’s ok leaving their dogs run all over everybody else’s properties. Anywhooo…. it was touch and go at 1st but then she did live with some babying and a move into our family room where she’s been recuperating for the last month or so. Only problem is she’s not as strong as the other 4 month olds and she’s definitely not as stable on her feet so I can’t put her in the main chicken run…. the other chickens would kill her…. chickens are like that…. they eliminate the weak in a flock. Long and short…. winter is closing in. We’ve already had a few nights where the temps dipped into the 30’s and the last few weeks they’ve regularly dipped down into the lower 40’s. She’s going to have to go into the main chicken run real soon so she’ll have access to the coop and the heat of the other birds. I’ve got a well built coop that’s fully insulated which is where I “keep” them over winter. Ideally, I should have 20 birds for the size coop I’ve got because of its size but…. try as I might…. that never happens because of predators. This year…. it was hawks and raccoons whittling away at my flock so I don’t have ideal numbers going into winter. I should be ok since I don’t let my birds out of the coop when the air temps drop below 20F. That helps maintain coop temps above freezing. I know other people let their birds out but…. I don’t. My coop is plenty big enough for that many birds so mine stay inside on the coldest days. Back to Molly…. she’s a young bird that’s not fully grown and will need to roost with the flock in the protection of the insulated coop over winter so I’m hoping for major improvement in her over the next few weeks or I’m going to have to give her away.
--
EW> thank you thank you thank you.... he is turning out to be rather dashing in his own way!!! I dunno if you’ve got a place for chickens or not but…. I’d be happy to send you fertile Orpington or Ameraucana or Barred Rock x Orpington/Ameraucana (mutts) eggs next year if…. big if…. all goes well and my Floyd and my Arthur don’t decide to get “cocky” taking on any hawks. To date, I’ve lost every rooster I’ve ever had to raptors except the Dorking rooster that I just ended up giving away along with several of his “ladies”.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #7
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
EW> thank you thank you thank you.... he is turning out to be rather dashing in his own way!!! I dunno if you’ve got a place for chickens or not but…. I’d be happy to send you fertile Orpington or Ameraucana or Barred Rock x Orpington/Ameraucana (mutts) eggs next year if…. big if…. all goes well and my Floyd and my Arthur don’t decide to get “cocky” taking on any hawks. To date, I’ve lost every rooster I’ve ever had to raptors except the Dorking rooster that I just ended up giving away along with several of his “ladies”.
WHEW! At first I thought we'd be traveling across state with chickens AGAIN!Name:  I don't think so.gif
Views: 45
Size:  821 Bytes

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

Uh uh.... no chickens this time. I learned my lesson. If EW was within a day or 2 of us taking off.... I woulda offered her some free chicks but no way no how do I want to get stuck in a car with chickens for that long!!! It didn't get hot on us until about half way down to biig's so at least it was somewhat bearable but.... what if we get an Indian Summer the week we went to leave for Dappy's and got stuck with chickens until we hit the Lancaster area? Egads.... we'd have to bring clothespins for our noses or something. I have to admit.... chickens sure can stink up a whole car!!! Come to think of it.... the kittens' poops were pretty bad on the way back too!!!
Old 09-27-2013, 03:30 PM   #9
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

And you're going in a smaller car!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:47 PM   #10
WG Facilitator

Mr. Floyd is a handsome fella!

Tags
boy, floyd, pretty