Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability > Livestock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #41
Alternate POM Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I believe that is the one she's wishing I could bring to her. Mine are not mature enough to divide yet and of a different variety now that I see what she's wanting. Mine are the Lilium michiganense (Michigan lily)

GUESS WHAT!
We've LOST the USDA plant database since the shutdown.
Yes lillium michiganense is what I want. It all started when I was at my brothers girlfriends place who has a huge garden. She was telling me about her tiger lillies and. How much the butterflies like them. She said I will give you some. She is mia. She did bring me beautyberries when she picked me up to go to a party. Looks like we need another party so she will bring me lillies .
EllenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #42
Official Plant Nerd

Dappy> "Ahh...so that is why you call him "pretty boy". I think I'm offended, but I can't be sure." Yes.... be offended... be very offended!!! Pretty Boy Floyd moved onto Oprah after Arthur decided he'd have none of that and took off. Oprah took off too. Last I saw.... he was making ga ga eyes at Mildred. I had to go back inside since it started raining but I can tell you going after Mildred would be a mistake... he'll need to vastly improve his skills before he attempts to hump her.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #43
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Dappy> "Ahh...so that is why you call him "pretty boy". I think I'm offended, but I can't be sure." Yes.... be offended... be very offended!!! Pretty Boy Floyd moved onto Oprah after Arthur decided he'd have none of that and took off. Oprah took off too. Last I saw.... he was making ga ga eyes at Mildred. I had to go back inside since it started raining but I can tell you going after Mildred would be a mistake... he'll need to vastly improve his skills before he attempts to hump her.
Well, at least he seems to be figuring it out. Where there's a will there's a way. He'll figure it out one of see days. In the meantime hell have fun trying--asking as Mildred doesn't mess him up too much.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:51 PM   #44
Alternate POM Judge

Quote:
Too funny! You go Floyd! Ill get those fertilized eggs yet!
Old 10-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #45
Official Plant Nerd

He's well on his way to humping heaven after this weekend. I think he pegged Delilah and I saw him pegging Oprah and a few others!!! He sure is a big boy compared to them. Mildred still won't have anything to do with him. He struts his stuff and does his little dance around her and she runs him off. What's funny is that when she goes after him.... he runs from her because he knows she's gunning for his face and he's almost 3x her size. She's having a bad molt so she's 1 nasty no-nonsense old bird right about now!!!
--
Yes EW!!! It's looking like you'll have fertile Orpington eggs next year!!!
Old 10-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #46
Alternate POM Judge

Quote:
He's well on his way to humping heaven after this weekend. I think he pegged Delilah and I saw him pegging Oprah and a few others!!! He sure is a big boy compared to them. Mildred still won't have anything to do with him. He struts his stuff and does his little dance around her and she runs him off. What's funny is that when she goes after him.... he runs from her because he knows she's gunning for his face and he's almost 3x her size. She's having a bad molt so she's 1 nasty no-nonsense old bird right about now!!!
--
Yes EW!!! It's looking like you'll have fertile Orpington eggs next year!!!
That is so exciting! And they can be shipped? I will work on getting their home set up. I saw a really nice coop for sale on craigs list. I might see if it is there. I have a fenced back yard so they can b out during the day. Then I have a large dog run and lots of chicken wire so I can cover the top to keep predators out. I will put their housing in there and shut them in there at night. My Dad will be so excited. His Dad always had chickens.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #47
Heron

Omg that bird is amazing ! And you promised me eggs for 3 years! I'm calling them in come spring! I want some of those beauty's! Your chickens look amazing lib ! Right now I have lemon cuckoo orphingtons, 8 weeks now and huge for 8 weeks. Wish I had a rooster to get some for you but I have a guy I got them from, maybe he will send some to you if I ask. He is expensive, he charged me 20.00 for 4 eggs ! But your worth it if you want some!
Doozerdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #48
Official Plant Nerd

Just know that I've got a real bad record holding onto any of my roosters to spring.... waaaaaaay too many hawks. I can't seem to stop them from doing their rooster "thang" protecting the hens from hawks. I've done everything I can to mess with the hawks landing in that run but... a few get in and when they do.... my hens all run into a corner of the run but my roosters have been standing up and fighting and literally..... losing their heads. Good thing is I'll have 2 roosters going into spring next year so that hopefully will mean that 1 makes it and doesn't lose his head!!!
--
EW> Uh huh.... eggs can be shipped if they're bubble wrapped individually then wrapped in old towels and you watch the weather report to make sure there's no freezing temps on the horizon. They do need to be shipped priority though. It's all about spending time packing and the timing of when they're shipped. The only thing is.... if I lose a rooster when the hawks are actively seeking for food for their nestlings.... which is usually when I lose my roosters.... you may not get your choice of whether you want Orpington or Ameraucana eggs. And.... if I lose both.... I'd have to get chicks to you somehow someway!!! We can't have you going without now can we!!! As far as a coop.... just make sure it's got a chicken door that can be closed at night. Hawks are part of the day crew.... there's a night crew that includes mink and raccoons that like chicken meat as much as you and me do!!!
--
Doozer> ya.... he's turning out much better than what I expected and the really good news is he's a big "weenie". I don't know that he'd try to come up against a hawk right now. He might get "cockier" as he matures... he won't be a year old until next spring but right now.... he's spooked by his own shadow and tends to run from perceived threats. It's why I wanted this rooster and took him as an older chick... I tell you.... for as big as he is....he's totally henpecked by my older chickens and that's a good thing all factors considered. Same thing with the Amerauca cockerel I kept.... I kept the "weenie" not the best.... I'd like some fertile Ameraucana and Orpington eggs myself!!!!
--
What a sweetie you are offering to buy me Lemon Cuckoo Orpington eggs!!! I'm gonna take a pass because I'm running with the English Black and Blue Orpingtons that I'm attached to... they're pets. I just don't have enough runs to take on Lemon Cuckoos!!! They sure are purty though!!!

Tags
boy, floyd, pretty