Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability > Livestock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #31
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellenwright View Post
Thank you. That is what I know as turk's cap lily. It is native, and one I'd like o grow. You are lucky to have it.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #32
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellenwright View Post
according to what I read they are native. They look like fancy day lilies.
Some are native....some are definitely not and will take over an entire area if left on their own.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Thank you. That is what I know as turk's cap lily. It is native, and one I'd like o grow. You are lucky to have it.
I believe that is the one she's wishing I could bring to her. Mine are not mature enough to divide yet and of a different variety now that I see what she's wanting. Mine are the Lilium michiganense (Michigan lily)

GUESS WHAT!
We've LOST the USDA plant database since the shutdown.

Old 10-05-2013, 03:54 AM   #34
Official Plant Nerd

EW> I read this the 1st time around and thought you were looking for ditch lilies and was like.... ewwwwwwww.... what does she want those for>>>>? I've got the Turk's Cap lily.... only a few. They're growing in the natural areas of my property.
--
hava> So far..... that is the ONLY thing I've noticed and.... I've got books for reference so I'll survive!!! I love books!!!! I love them even more now!!!
Old 10-05-2013, 06:18 AM   #35

Ditch lilies...THAT'S the name of the one I was speaking of that takes over !

Equill....
Some of the state or was it the national parks sites don't come in anymore either. Lucky we finished up on the researching of the trip when we did!

Old 10-05-2013, 06:56 AM   #36
Official Plant Nerd

They're called Chicago lilies and Tiger Day lilies too. Scientific name is Hemerocallis fulva. I think the best name for them is ditch lilies since they really can over run a place.
--
It makes sense that the national parks website would be down.... they want to make it look like everything's coming to a screeching halt when it's not. I read that pretty much everything was being classified "essential" and that only 25% of government "services" went down. Bet the IRS is alive and well hounding people. Good news.... all the chefs in the WH were considered essential and this was considered essential too Government 'Shut Down' Doesn't Prevent Opening of $2 Billion NSA Spy Center - informationliberation Sooooo.... throughout this so-called "shut down"..... we're still being kept "safe" because they're watching our computers and phones and i thingies and everything else they can monitor to keep us "safe" all the while our lands go even farther to H E double hocky sticks in a hand bag. Just think of how much restoration work we could do across our nation if just the NSA was shut down.... why we'd have had $10.8 BILLION $$$ alone to put toward clean up and things like ohhhhh.... WNS if that state of the art set up hadn't come into existence alone!!! That's TEN POINT EIGHT BILLION $$$ we coulda had to right ecological wrongs. OK... rant over. Seriously.... so far.... I haven't run into any sites that are down that I actually use regularly other than the USDA plants database and like I said.... I can get around using that site entirely if I just walk upstairs and hit the books.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
GUESS WHAT!
We've LOST the USDA plant database since the shutdown.
Yikes! Who woulda thought it would effect that!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 10-05-2013, 08:32 AM   #38

Boy, this thread has evolved....poor Pretty Boy Floyd got lost in the shuffle.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #39
Official Plant Nerd

Pretty Boy Floyd musta been getting vibes we were dissing him by straying off topic soooo.... he did something to get us back on track... I'm out there walking the dogs and I see him trying to hump Arthur. Poor Pretty Boy Floyd.... he won't have any chances of offspring if he keeps that up and poor Arthur for not being developed enough to stand out as a cockerel instead of a pullet.... he just didn't quite know what to do when PBF started making ga ga eyes and strutting his stuff around him!!!
Old 10-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Pretty Boy Floyd musta been getting vibes we were dissing him by straying off topic soooo.... he did something to get us back on track... I'm out there walking the dogs and I see him trying to hump Arthur. Poor Pretty Boy Floyd.... he won't have any chances of offspring if he keeps that up and poor Arthur for not being developed enough to stand out as a cockerel instead of a pullet.... he just didn't quite know what to do when PBF started making ga ga eyes and strutting his stuff around him!!!
Ahh...so that is why you call him "pretty boy". I think I'm offended, but I can't be sure.

Tags
boy, floyd, pretty