Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability > Livestock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #11
Alternate POM Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
WHEW! At first I thought we'd be traveling across state with chickens AGAIN!Attachment 38335
Hava and equil you are too funny! Oh shucks no chickens! I have always wanted chickens. I have a large dog run in the back yard where they could be safe at night from foxes.
I have tons of chicken wire I could use to cover the top of the dog run. I could get the neighbor to build some housing for them. I have a dog. I would have to train him not to bother the chickens. Oh how exciting. I would like some chicken eggs. I will have to read about chickens. My Dad always wanted me to get chickens. His Dad had them. I think he said his Dad had bantams?

What's this about kittens? You picked up kittens along the way?
EllenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:47 AM   #12
Heron

Handsome!! Equil, do the blue orpingtons have as great of a personality as the buffs?
Old 09-28-2013, 08:03 PM   #13
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellenwright View Post
What's this about kittens? You picked up kittens along the way?
Uh huh! They traveled south with chickens in the car, and traveled back home with cats and birds.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #14
Alternate POM Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by biigblueyes View Post
Uh huh! They traveled south with chickens in the car, and traveled back home with cats and birds.
Too funny!
Old 09-29-2013, 08:22 AM   #15
Official Plant Nerd

kchd> Orpingtons in general are really docile birds like ameraucanas and australorps. The black orpingtons probably have the nicest personalities if I had to pick…. next would be the buffs and the blues and then the splashes but again…. all orpingtons are “family” type birds meaning they’re good around little kids and anyone can walk into their coop and they’re not gonna get “attacked” regardless of whether they’ve been worked with or not. Something I’ve noticed is that the blues are more “talkative”. It could just be the blues I have. I think the breeding lines… ie: American v. English and the individual bird play into the equation though too…. I got Pretty Boy Floyd when he was an older chick right about the time I started getting really sick so I just couldn’t work with him. He’d never been handled before even when he was a chick and I sure didn’t get the chance to work much with him and he can still be picked up by anyone… including kids. Being able to pick up every chicken is a good thing IMO…. things do go wrong from time to time and sour crop comes to mind. You posted photos of a friend… or maybe it was a relative who had a really nice backyard tractor for chickens and I think they had buffs….. right? The personality differences are negligible as far as what I’ve experienced so I guess what I’d caution anyone on would be to watch the breeding lines no matter which type of Orpington you get. Pretty Boy Floyd is HUGE. He’s gonna tower over any mature Buff Orpington male out there and that’s a lot of bird regardless of how docile he is and…. he’ll need to have a lot of hens to breed with because he’d do a number on them if there were only a handful in a run with him. He’s gonna top out around 14 lbs is my guess and that size bird just isn’t gonna fit in a little backyard tractor IMO. The height on that bird alone precludes him from being able to stretch out his neck and flap his wings when he’s crowing in most of the tractors I’ve seen for backyard hobbyists. 1 more little issue with the blacks and blues…. they’re a lot more expensive than the buffs and the English blacks and blues are even more expensive than the American blacks and blues so unless someone really has their heart set on a color that’s not that common…. I’d probably encourage them to go with buffs since they’re so readily available.
--
EW> I’ll admit I talked hava into a really cute little white parakeet with turquoise markings…. it had her name on it so…. in the car it went….. my bad. We did pick up kittens…. 3 of them but…. that was sort of a special deal because they were real clean kittens and I had new homes in mind for those babies before I got home because they had nice pink gums, healthy coats, and were overall the epitome of health. I just needed to get em all vetted before I said something to the people I wanted to take them… just to be sure. Believe it or not… we ended up keeping 1 of them. We kept the 1 that was cross-eyed. We thought what we were keeping was a male so we named it Logan then we found out it was a female and changed her name to Lola. Lola is my husband’s baby…. she can do no wrong! I should take photos of what she did to our dining room chairs and the arms of our sofas in the living room because I’d hear you screaming all the way up here in IL. Just so you know…. I hate little “thangs” but…. I don’t have it in me to leave any little “thangs” on their own which is why I’ve got a trap set up right now hoping to get my hands on a dumped off pregnant mom that had 5 babies in our shed. The babies look to be about 3 weeks old and if I can trap them all soon…. they’re young enough they can be tamed and adopted out. I’ve just got to get them all before I take off for Dappy’s house. So far they’re staying away from my traps. I’m tossing out tuna and scrambled eggs and anything else waiting for them to develop a taste for it. They look pretty wormy and so does the mom which means they’re ravenous so every last 1 of them will end up in a trap. The sooner the better so people can start working with them.
--
You know how some people are impulse buyers? Well…. I’m not an impulse buyer but I am an impulse “collector” of little “thangs”. I can’t help myself. Anywhooo…. a few weeks ago I went to go look at a dairy goat on my way back from a county fair. They had 1 dairy cow and I kid you not….. there was a squished dead cat where their cow laid down for the night. My husband was speechless and his mouth and eyes were wide open. The cat must have lain down in the straw to take a nap and the rest is history. The cat was the mom to a bunch of calico and torti kittens. The woman showing me the goat was like totally embarrassed that she hadn’t seen the dead cat and picked it up by the tail… walked it out of the barn and…. nonchalantly tossed it over the fence. She said it was 1 of the nicer cats that had been “dumped” on her. She said she let them hang around because they were…. drum roll please…. good ratters. I kept my mouth shut because it was obvious she was letting em breed since there were literally cats crawling all over the place and kittens coming out of the wood work and I do mean literally coming out of the woodwork. I didn’t buy her goat because I just wasn’t comfortable with her farm hygiene…. too many cats running around that I’ve got no doubt weren’t getting any vet care so what does that say about her goats? Long and short…. we ended up leaving with 14 kittens of assorted ages including 3 litter mates to the 2 in the photo. Surprisingly, she let me take her future “ratters” because she said she had too many. Ya think? We lost count around 50. The saving grace for all of them was that she had little kids that played with and handled all the kittens so not a 1 of them was feral. I stuck em in my greenhouse overnight and dropped them ALL off at the shelter the next day…. they cut me a deal on what I paid to “relinquish” them by writing them all up as 1 litter. I guess things really are cheaper by the dozen or more. They’ll get deloused, de-wormed, checked for the routine stuff like FeLuke, FIP, Feline Aids then….. spayed and neutered and put up on the block for adoption. That’s 14 fewer felines out there breeding… spreading disease and….. gobbling up wildlife IMO.
Attached Thumbnails
My Pretty Boy Floyd!!!-img_3002.jpg  
Old 09-29-2013, 08:43 AM   #16
Alternate POM Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
kchd> Orpingtons in general are really docile birds like ameraucanas and australorps. The black orpingtons probably have the nicest personalities if I had to pick…. next would be the buffs and the blues and then the splashes but again…. all orpingtons are “family” type birds meaning they’re good around little kids and anyone can walk into their coop and they’re not gonna get “attacked” regardless of whether they’ve been worked with or not. Something I’ve noticed is that the blues are more “talkative”. It could just be the blues I have. I think the breeding lines… ie: American v. English and the individual bird play into the equation though too…. I got Pretty Boy Floyd when he was an older chick right about the time I started getting really sick so I just couldn’t work with him. He’d never been handled before even when he was a chick and I sure didn’t get the chance to work much with him and he can still be picked up by anyone… including kids. Being able to pick up every chicken is a good thing IMO…. things do go wrong from time to time and sour crop comes to mind. You posted photos of a friend… or maybe it was a relative who had a really nice backyard tractor for chickens and I think they had buffs….. right? The personality differences are negligible as far as what I’ve experienced so I guess what I’d caution anyone on would be to watch the breeding lines no matter which type of Orpington you get. Pretty Boy Floyd is HUGE. He’s gonna tower over any mature Buff Orpington male out there and that’s a lot of bird regardless of how docile he is and…. he’ll need to have a lot of hens to breed with because he’d do a number on them if there were only a handful in a run with him. He’s gonna top out around 14 lbs is my guess and that size bird just isn’t gonna fit in a little backyard tractor IMO. The height on that bird alone precludes him from being able to stretch out his neck and flap his wings when he’s crowing in most of the tractors I’ve seen for backyard hobbyists. 1 more little issue with the blacks and blues…. they’re a lot more expensive than the buffs and the English blacks and blues are even more expensive than the American blacks and blues so unless someone really has their heart set on a color that’s not that common…. I’d probably encourage them to go with buffs since they’re so readily available.
--
EW> I’ll admit I talked hava into a really cute little white parakeet with turquoise markings…. it had her name on it so…. in the car it went….. my bad. We did pick up kittens…. 3 of them but…. that was sort of a special deal because they were real clean kittens and I had new homes in mind for those babies before I got home because they had nice pink gums, healthy coats, and were overall the epitome of health. I just needed to get em all vetted before I said something to the people I wanted to take them… just to be sure. Believe it or not… we ended up keeping 1 of them. We kept the 1 that was cross-eyed. We thought what we were keeping was a male so we named it Logan then we found out it was a female and changed her name to Lola. Lola is my husband’s baby…. she can do no wrong! I should take photos of what she did to our dining room chairs and the arms of our sofas in the living room because I’d hear you screaming all the way up here in IL. Just so you know…. I hate little “thangs” but…. I don’t have it in me to leave any little “thangs” on their own which is why I’ve got a trap set up right now hoping to get my hands on a dumped off pregnant mom that had 5 babies in our shed. The babies look to be about 3 weeks old and if I can trap them all soon…. they’re young enough they can be tamed and adopted out. I’ve just got to get them all before I take off for Dappy’s house. So far they’re staying away from my traps. I’m tossing out tuna and scrambled eggs and anything else waiting for them to develop a taste for it. They look pretty wormy and so does the mom which means they’re ravenous so every last 1 of them will end up in a trap. The sooner the better so people can start working with them.
--
You know how some people are impulse buyers? Well…. I’m not an impulse buyer but I am an impulse “collector” of little “thangs”. I can’t help myself. Anywhooo…. a few weeks ago I went to go look at a dairy goat on my way back from a county fair. They had 1 dairy cow and I kid you not….. there was a squished dead cat where their cow laid down for the night. My husband was speechless and his mouth and eyes were wide open. The cat must have lain down in the straw to take a nap and the rest is history. The cat was the mom to a bunch of calico and torti kittens. The woman showing me the goat was like totally embarrassed that she hadn’t seen the dead cat and picked it up by the tail… walked it out of the barn and…. nonchalantly tossed it over the fence. She said it was 1 of the nicer cats that had been “dumped” on her. She said she let them hang around because they were…. drum roll please…. good ratters. I kept my mouth shut because it was obvious she was letting em breed since there were literally cats crawling all over the place and kittens coming out of the wood work and I do mean literally coming out of the woodwork. I didn’t buy her goat because I just wasn’t comfortable with her farm hygiene…. too many cats running around that I’ve got no doubt weren’t getting any vet care so what does that say about her goats? Long and short…. we ended up leaving with 14 kittens of assorted ages including 3 litter mates to the 2 in the photo. Surprisingly, she let me take her future “ratters” because she said she had too many. Ya think? We lost count around 50. The saving grace for all of them was that she had little kids that played with and handled all the kittens so not a 1 of them was feral. I stuck em in my greenhouse overnight and dropped them ALL off at the shelter the next day…. they cut me a deal on what I paid to “relinquish” them by writing them all up as 1 litter. I guess things really are cheaper by the dozen or more. They’ll get deloused, de-wormed, checked for the routine stuff like FeLuke, FIP, Feline Aids then….. spayed and neutered and put up on the block for adoption. That’s 14 fewer felines out there breeding… spreading disease and….. gobbling up wildlife IMO.
Bless you for saving all those kittens. I hate it when people just let them keep breeding. We had a feral mom in the area that had 2 litters a year. We could not trap her. That is why my neighbor has 9 cats. The mom finally died giving birth. My angel cat showed up at my friends house hairless. Karen thought she was a rat. She nursed angel back to health and in the meantime she had kittens. The vet had to deliver the kittens. I took angel and a kitten named Pudgie. Pudgie was the runt and it turns out she has an enlarged heart and undersized liver.
I am a board of director for Delaware Audubon Society. The state of Delaware wanted to provide funding to cat shelters for TNR (trap neuter release) . Delaware Audubon Society is fighting that. Just like WG 's we do not agree with free roaming cats. They kill lots of wildlife. I love cats but I think thy need to be kept indoors.

Last edited by EllenW; 09-29-2013 at 11:44 AM. Reason: add more
Old 09-29-2013, 12:06 PM   #17
Alternate POM Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
WHEW! At first I thought we'd be traveling across state with chickens AGAIN!Attachment 38335
How about traveling across state with tiger lillies? My friend offered me some but I don't know if that will happen. I ordered some white turtlehead and buttterfly weed recently. They were so expensive and so tiny!
Old 09-29-2013, 08:56 PM   #18
WG Facilitator

hahaha - you know how to negotiate! Hit them up for chickens, then settle for quiet, non-smelly flower bulbs!
Old 09-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #19
Alternate POM Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by biigblueyes View Post
hahaha - you know how to negotiate! Hit them up for chickens, then settle for quiet, non-smelly flower bulbs!
Sounds like a good idea to me!
Old 10-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #20
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Tiger lilies ha? I've a boatload of plants I could have shared with you but....
My tiger lilies (In their first years growth) aren't large enough to divide just yet.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boy, floyd, pretty