Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability > Livestock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 06:01 PM   #21
Official Plant Nerd

I have an update on the Freedom Rangers for anyone thinking about them. As of today.... they're almost 8 wks old.... time flies. Best guess... they're well over 5 lbs each.... 3 are almost 6 lbs and that's about a 1 lb weight gain since the last time I weighed them about a week ago. I'd call this intense weight gain on par with the Cornish x chicks.
--
Only 2 are roosting. The rest seem too "beefy" to get up on the perch. My guess.... the largest of the chicks must have stopped roosting the day I left... its underside was caked in dried chicken poops so I brought it in and soaked it for a coupla minutes then washed it off with warm soapy water in the wash tub. I went back out and tossed pine shavings down on the floor of their pagoda hutch. That should help with the poops they're laying in over night since most of them aren't roosting any longer.
--
I noticed on Friday that 3 of the chicks were sitting down around the feeder to eat.... today.... I noticed more of them sitting down to eat.... this is the same thing I saw the Cornish x chicks doing. The black broilers stood up to eat and were considerably more active. Every time I go out to check on them.... the majority of them are laying down in the grass under the shade of a cherry tree. The chickens in my main run are always out and moving about doing chicken "things". I'm really not liking animals in this condition especially when the Freedom Rangers have a whole run of their own. I'm thinking I'll take them in for processing earlier than what I had originally planned on.
--
On the plus side.... they're not an aggressive bird and I haven't had to clip their flight wings in a few weeks. Another plus.... the temps hit almost 90 a few days in a row last week and I didn't lose any of the chicks to the heat but.... the run they're in is 50% shaded by a mature cherry tree and the rest of the run has the equivalent of 50% shade cloth over it. I doubt seriously if this is a breed for anyone down south unless they want the added expense of running fans on their birds and I'm beginning to question whether it wouldn't have been wiser for me to order them more toward the beginning of fall as opposed to in mid spring.... I doubt seriously if Freedom Rangers could handle the scorching heat that comes along with raising poultry in the midwest over the summer without protection from the sun and decent air circulation as in.... an outside run.
--
Now onto the Red Rangers.... they're 3 wks old tomorrow. The Red Rangers from Murray McMurray aren't as large as I remember the Freedom Rangers at the same age but.... at this age the Freedom Rangers were more active. The Red Rangers are at rest more than the Freedom Rangers. No mortality on any of them either and they're non-aggressive too. The Red Rangers might even be calmer than the Freedom Rangers which considering the Freedom Rangers are laying down most of the time.... is pretty calm.
--
Doozer> you were right but... I'm not going to mess this Ranger thread up by posting why in it so I'll find the other thread and post in that along with some photos. Show me a photo of your "nekid" necked turken. That has got to be 1 uuuuuuuuugly looking chicken!!!
Old 06-29-2013, 06:32 PM   #22
Official Plant Nerd

Here's photos of the Freedom Ranger chicks at 4 weeks of age. I'd just put them out in their own run. Normally I'd wait until 6 weeks but these chicks were fully feathered and huge and the temps outside were around 80 so I figured.... no time like the present to boot them out of the brooder I'd had them set up in out in the screened in porch. It was sorta funny watching them because they'd never "experienced" grass before. And... I know.... I need to add shingles to that pagoda coop.... it's on my list of things to do!!! At least at night when they're in there.... they stay dry if it rains and the mink can't get them!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Meat chickens... the rangers-img_2663.jpg   Meat chickens... the rangers-img_2664.jpg  
Old 06-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #23
Official Plant Nerd

Here's a photo from the day I got the Red Ranger, Dorking, and Barred Rock chicks. The Barred Rock and Dorking chicks were hatched on the 8th. The Red Ranger chicks were hatched on the 9th. Look at the size difference. The Dorkings are the smallest yet they hatched out 1st. The Red Ranger chicks are noticeably larger than the other breeds yet they weren't even 24 hrs old in that photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Meat chickens... the rangers-img_2666.jpg  
Old 01-10-2018, 04:52 PM   #24
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Meat chickens... the rangers-dscf9688.jpg
Eating goldfish?
Meat chickens... the rangers-dscf9689.jpg
Whoever heard of such a thing unless it was upon a dare!

Tisn't so! They are actually.... stuffed Chicken wings!
I just LOVE LOVE LOVE them....

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
chickens, meat, rangers