Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability > Livestock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #11
Official Plant Nerd

Well.... I guess if the daughter made that statement I'd be hanging around knitting while they processed any beef I had.... I'd tell a white lie or something like.... a room at my house is getting painted and I don't want a headache from the paint fumes or whatever.... I'd come up with something. Sorry but.... that's just flat out wrong skimming. If they want 10% of the meat in exchange for helping.... that's fine.... don't just take it. When my neighbor down the road helped me deal with 3 chickens that I wanted processed that I didn't have time to run up and sit and wait for.... I gave him 1 for his help.... it's the neighborly thing to do. If I'm paying for a service.... I want ALL my meat back or make other payment arrangements with me before I bring it in.... don't just take a fee AND skim.... that's called stealing in my book.
--
We buy our lamb from the guy down the road. I have no idea what age he butchers his sheep at but... we like it so we buy it. We don't like it with mint jelly though. I guess we never acquired the taste for that.
--
I used to just stay and read while I waited because they can't release the birds until they've been cooled to a set temperature. I usually wait until I can get the 1st appointment of the day which is at 7am so I'm in and out as quickly as possible but even bringing in small batches takes a whole morning. Now that I know how to knit, I'll probably knit then read then knit and read again. Who knows. I do stay though and not because where I go skims or mixes up batches because they don't.... I stay because of the cost of gas and it gives me a chance to catch up on my reading anyway.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #12
Heron

Equil; That is very interesting. Our butcher too is maybe half an hour away. Beef though has to stored at a certain temperature before it is eaten for about 28 days. We have never ever gotten a beef back in less than a month - ever - from any butcher. It softens it up. Everyone wanting fresh beef -- well all of it is a least 28 days old.

Yes, that statement by the Amish daughter was a bit off setting.
But at least we get most of our beef back.
I promise you - we came carrying our beef back from the other butcher and it was so little we got out the bathroom scales out and hold it in the tiny basket to see what we did get. 30 pounds or so - from a 800 pound calf was way over the top.

I think it is stealing too, but what can you do? Some times you just get stuck, but they cut their own throats in business when we all refuse to go back.

If you ever had mutton - you would want mint jelly with it. So you are getting it young enough that it does not have such a strong taste. I promise you - you would know it, and need mint jelly.

Did you know that mint jelly should be made from spearmint and not peppermint. I found that out too.

Is the price very high the way you buy your lamb?
Does it make very much?
Lamb is very expensive in Krogers. Mutton is not for sale anywhere - cause the American people are not hunger enough to eat it. And Yet, it contains more L-carnitine than even beef.
Our neighbor has bought himself some really high priced "MEAT" sheep. He culls any of his ewes that do not have twins and a lot of them have triplets. So far he is selling them for a guaranteed price of 300 dollars a piece to other breeders. He found this program when he went to a sheep class at the university. Those classes also link you up to other people which is another good reason to go to such things.

Our neighbor kind of tickled me, when he first got the sheep he was constantly telling us about not spraying around our electric fences since his sheep cost 300 dollars - uh - one heifer we paid for was 1000 dollars, and ur our bull 2000.

My other neighbor wants a partner to go in with him for bees. He wants us to go to some classes at the university with him. He is diabetic, and we are on a special diet so - I am not interested other than I think it would be fun to go and just learn.
liquidambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #13
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidambar View Post
30 pounds or so - from a 800 pound calf was way over the top.
Considering the dressing percentage for beef is 40 to 60 percent, depending on age and a number of other factors, you should have gotten 320 - 480 pounds. Not 30.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #14
Heron

Yeah, ain't that pitiful! Out right took it all. I guess he gave his extended family more than he realized. He is dead now - died six years ago.

I don't think he had any shame either. He was there at church ever Sunday, looked you right in the eye. However he always fell asleep during the preach'in. He would fall so deeply asleep that he would start to snore. His wife would punch him to make him wake up enough to at least not snore. She elbowed him really hard in the side once that it knocked the wind out of him. He woke up startled and mad, and gave her a really evil stare -yeap, she had made him mad.

So, really what is a price of beef for entertainment of that kind?.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #15
Official Plant Nerd

Do you have any of these out your way,

We don't eat a lot of beef so I couldn't even tell you what it's selling for these days. The last time we bought some we bought flank steak because it was the cheapest. I used it in a stir fry.
--
I'm sure I've had mutton before. I think it's just that none of us like mint jelly.
--
We split the lamb with another person. I think the total was $350 but... it's been over a year and I have no idea what we'll pay this fall what with the cost of feed going through the ceiling.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #16
Heron

They are talking about Wyoming in the video. I saw a documentary a few years back that had a mobile butcher going from farm to farm in Michigan. So I have seen something similar.
The whole thing in Michigan was to not have to transport the animal for slaughter, causing it additional stress. I am all for not causing the animal one second of fear or pain. They got them hung up in a temp freezer in their trailer and then rushed back to their shop to freeze it for the 28 days and then later cut it up and packaged it in their shop.

You have to let the chickens bleed out too?
You cut their heads off and let them hang for how long?

If you wring their necks, do you then cut their head off to let them bleed?
Old 06-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #17
Official Plant Nerd

I've read online before that these mobile services are supposedly excellent. I know zip nadda nothing about them but... if I was a small farmer, I'd try to find a mobile service.
--
My neighbor hammers 2 nails into a stump and chops their heads off with an axe. They're dead.... their bodies just don't know it so he just holds them down with his hand until they stop moving and they're pretty much bled out by then. The processor I go to uses cones. He places the chickens head down into the cones. After he's done slicing their throats with 1 quick motion, he just leaves them in the cones for a minute or so and they bleed out that way. I'm sure if they're killed by cervical dislocation.... wringing their necks with our hands to me.... we'd have to slice their necks to let them bleed out. Me.... I killed 1 of our pet chickens with a 22 and buried it in the back yard with our other pets.... check out post #14 here, http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/for...tml#post128121. If an animal is suffering and not long for this world.... I now know I can pull the trigger.... it it's healthy.... I still can't bring myself to kill it. You might want to read this thread but if you don't want to read the whole thing.... just read post #6 because that's the best description I've ever read online of cervical dislocation, Wringing necks?.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #18
Heron

Okay, if wringing a chicken's neck is taking it by the head and swirling it's body around - that is not what my grandmother did.
That sounds cruel and scares the bird. The only one that she scared that day was me.

Grandpa hung his up in a tree, pulled down their heads, took his time and he seemed almost gentle about it, and sliced their throats, The quietly bled out. I don't even remember them twitching afterwards.

It is amazing that they can get a chicken to grow and be ready to eat in only 8 to 12weeks. That is two to three months --- I can't imagine something gaining that much weight in that short of time!
Old 06-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #19
Official Plant Nerd

I didn't think your grandma was "wringing" their necks like that. When someone says wringing a neck.... I just assume they're talking about cervical dislocation and I shouldn't do that since it appears most people who use that term are really talking about literally "wringing" them as in.... taking them by the head and swirling their body around. Gag me.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:45 PM   #20
Heron

Loved this thread ! Laughed to. Glad you got the freedom rangers, I can get them down the road from me, but again can not find anyone to process with out paying a fortune.
I buy half a beef each year, pay 450.00 and whole lamb for mom and dad , paid 250.00
Just bought 10 free range organic chickens for my freezer and in the last week gave 6 roosters away, and 2 girls that annoyed me. One my broody who was beating on my wheaten non stop, she was three and she went by.
Got rid of my copper maran, she laid 3 eggs tops a week, ( was the only one to lay choclate eggs) and at 1 year old that's not cool with me.
My hatch outs all became roosters but 1 lol, a leg horn we call snow ball. I have 2 more 5 month olds, an olive egger who laid her first egg today, and a green layer ( wheaten ameracauna ) . Will be picking up 3 more birds in the next two weeks, 2 more RIR and a naked neck turken. I'm just waiting until there 4 months old to add to my crew.
I love seeing you girls birds, ad how you all talk about the breeds. I enjoyed this thread a lot
Doozerdoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chickens, meat, rangers