Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability > Livestock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default The Happy Hen House site is shutting down

This Australian site is getting taken down in a coupla days. Their members were sharp and their FAQs were some of the best online, The Happy Hen House - ***FAQ / Frequently Asked Questions***. They sent anyone who had ever registered notification that April 30th would be their last day online so members could save what they wanted for reference. I had every intention of starting a folder and going through their FAQs 1 by 1 and saving anything I might need but…. I just don’t have the time. They were 1 of the only sites that got into meds….. lots of sites steer clear of that kind of info…. probably because of liability but…. this site didn’t and I found their info on the $$$ every time I’d print something off and take it into the vet with me. If you’re into chickens…. you might wanna do a fly by and save anything that might apply to your chickens because real soon…. the info’s gonna go **poof**…. something about the software not being supported anymore and the person who started the site just isn’t up to converting all the threads to a new format. What a shame. I wonder if it’s “legal” adding all their FAQs somewhere else…. like here.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

I'm surprised that some kind person or chicken keeper group didn't pop up to take it over.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
Salamander

I see it is already April 30th there. Not much time left.

The easy way to get everything is to copy the website. Unfortunately, you probably needed to start this endeavor a few days ago since I'm guessing there is not enough time left if it is a big site.

One piece of software that will do the job:
HTTrack Website Copier - Free Software Offline Browser (GNU GPL)

There are others. Google "copying websites."

I suggest you get the job going and hope you get what you want before they shut down.

Starting tomorrow, there are ways of using Google to download an old website but only works while the info is still in Google Cache.

The caterpillar does all the work but the butterfly gets all the publicity.

George Carlin
KC Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

With a little help from some friends..... I got all the FAQs and saved em in a file. I started at A.... another friend started saving at h and..... another friend worked backwards from z. Team work!!! If anyone wants em.... lemme know and I can copy em to a jump drive and mail em out. I can't put em on a CD because my CD thingie is broken and I'm not going to replace it. There were a lot of photos so the file size is pretty big.... almost 9 MB. That means all the FAQs will need a memory stick that's at least 10 MB.
--
KC> Eeesh.... I dunno if I could have copied the whole website even if I'd seen what you said.... it was really nice of you adding that but.... I'm not too computer smart. I doubt I could have pulled it off unless you were on the phone with me following along telling me exactly what to do and when to do it. I'm ok with software AFTER somebody shows me how to use it.... not so good on my own though.
--
Sage> I know what's in those FAQs.... lots of dosage info for drugs our FDA hasn't approved for poultry. I doubt seriously if any Americans would want the liability. Posting that kinda info might fly over in Australia.... it would be nuthin' but trouble here.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:57 PM   #5
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Oh, right...
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

Just bumping for anyone thinking about getting into chickens. I did save all the good "stuff" from the Happy Hen House. If anyone wants to send me a jump drive.... I can get 1 of the kids to move all the data onto it and send it out. It'd be like having a chicken encyclopedia at your fingertips!!!
--
Here's a sample of the kind of things I saved beyond their FAQs.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
WG Fundraising Coordinator

I just had to share this photo with you equil - don't you have silkies? One of our local community farmer's market vendors put up this photo on his facebook page, I love it! He did say they brought her in and warmed her up after that though so she's OK!

Rough Draft Farmstead. Two people, trying to live simply and sustainably on a small farm in Kentucky.
Attached Thumbnails
The Happy Hen House site is shutting down-silkie-snow.jpg  
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:36 PM   #8
Alternate POM Judge

Ok what is a jump drive? I saw a great program on Pbs about raising chickens but I need to learn a lot more.
EllenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #9
Official Plant Nerd

EW> a jump drive is a memory drive…. it’s looking like they’re called flash drives too. It sticks in the front of your tower and you can somehow move files onto it then drop it in the mail and send it off. They come in all different shapes and sizes. I had a bunch of them from trade shows but I’m out. I do have 1 around here somewhere that is in the shape of a chicken believe it or not and I’m gonna hold onto that 1. I think I could copy the whole file onto a CD but… my CD burner thingie hasn’t worked in years so the only way I can copy anything is by copying it onto jump drives. Here’s what they look like, Jump Drive - Hdwiki. They come in novelty shapes too like this pickle, Cool Memory Stick 8GB - Fresh Cucumber little soldiers, Queen’s Guard Driver USB Memory Stick | GeekAlerts, penguins, Affordable Treats: Penguin Memory Stick and who knows what other shapes they come in.
--
Linrose> Uh uh… no silkies for me. They’re cuter than the dickens but I’m too far north for bantams or smaller standard breeds. Ya know…. I just looooooove talking chicken!!! When are you gonna try a few. Now I’m gonna go check out your silkie in the tree website!!!
Old 12-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #10
Alternate POM Judge

Thank you equil. I saved the link on my ithingie. Now I can use that if I have trouble with the jump drive. Could you pm or email me your address? I will get a jump drive and mail it to you.
EllenW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chickens, faq, happy, hen, henhouse, house, poultry, shutting, site, web site, website