Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability > Livestock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 12:33 AM   #41
Heron

Thanks Doozerdoo;
Yeah; it has been two summers ago since I built it and my own brood (family has put up the water on a chain and food on bricks since the picture).

Feb 17. Well I went out today and looked her over. There was another chicken sitting right beside her (how could both of those get in that one little box???--I should have done something with her but I did not.

She had a lot more eggs under her than the original 6. Some were pushed back next to the egg door and were cold.

I made her a place in the metal building all by herself and took some of the eggs away.

I broke them open to see what was a going on. I found three with eyes on them, and not much else; and one was perfectly formed with feathers (oh dear) only very small-- not going to hatch out in a day or two or three that is for sure. I will be surprised if anything hatches out anytime soon.

There is another hen starting to brood too. Sigh, there is not enough chicken houses in the world???

I am going to build another this spring. I already bought the post for it, and floor for it.

I think I will put this new little broody hen in the metal building too; tomorrow if it is still sitting.

Good gosh these silkies are laying all over the place and broody to boot --

My mother only laughs at me.
liquidambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:26 AM   #42
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidambar View Post
I found the silkie hen has gone broody today.

I guess I am going to let her sit.

That is mighty early though.

They will be hatching out when-- 21 days. Today is Jan 28th.
They will hatch out Feb 17.
Will she be able to keep them warm enough?
Or will I have to fix her a place in the metal building?

I probably should go out there and take them eggs away from her shouldn't I?
I would wait another month, maybe two unless you can put a heat lamp in the coop with mama and babies. I let a broody hatch out several in October and they did fine, but that's. Cutting it close. I got friends who got there chicks in there basement under a heat lamp. Mine will be coming next week but there already a month old so not really going to worry, no lamp but there going to be in my house for a short time so I can love on them, and get them used to people, then off to moms and under a heat lamp until there fully feathered out.
I will be getting my own come then end of March and I will be dong the same, in the house for about a month until I socialize them some, then out in there own coop I will be putting in the pen ( a dog house with a door on it and a roost for them. I got a guy building me one long and narrow to fit into the pen door. He made me one already but it was to big, way to big lol, so it's going to my moms for her dog. It's a beauty, triple insulated with windows. Building a fence around the dog house to keep other birds away until there big enough. I love new birds!
Doozerdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:50 PM   #43
Heron

As you can see, I did not wait or unwait - I just let things go for the first hen.
We have been through this before - last year -- I never had so much trouble keeping eggs out from under a hen in my life. These silkies are tough! Last year March the 1st my husband tells me he hears chirping of a chick -- all I can say she must have hid that little thing under her wing.

Well I did something today

I went out today and got the second hen and put her in the metal building. I now have two, sitting.

I think this first little hen -- that has already set for 21 days right now is also the one that set all summer on some unfertilized eggs until they stank -- I guess she desires better. I don't know if she will get any chicks or not - the eggs were pretty cold, and I think I took the ones that she had warm out and broke them. She desires at least one babe.

We like new birds too, but it is getting kind of crowded. I have two roosters, maybe three that needs to go.

It was nice weather today and I put up my first 4 by 4 post for the chicken coop. Well, I did something toward it.

I have two dog houses for the babes, can the two hens cohabitate in the same pen? or am I going to have to separate the two hens and have two pens? At any rate -- I have a metal building with electricity and a heat lamp and two hens they claim they can keep their babes warm.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #44
Heron

My bird had cold eggs to, just wait a few extra days, like 4 as they hatch but are much later. I found this out the hard way. I had chicks in mine when I cracked the open, and wish I had waited like the folks told me to. They can get cold, but can still hatch, ( not always but a lot of the time. Your lucky, my broody died I need a new broody girl !
Old 02-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #45
Heron

Thanks Doozer; But they felt pretty cold to me!
I think I took all her warm ones, and did bad by them.

So it might take longer -- as you said -- so I will let her sit as long as she wants to set -She has food and water within a reach of her neck. And She is safe in the metal building - away from the rest of the hens that come by and drop off another egg and push the ones she had been sitting on out from under her.

As far as a broody hen -- if you are looking for one -- try a silkie!

They went broody three times last year.

As much as they like to sit on eggs, they should have taken over the world by now.

Except: They are sitting on polish eggs right now. Bigger sized egg, and that is what I am building the other chicken house for (the polish).

I have yet, to have a polish hen go broody, but she is a favorite of the roosters. So much so; I had to separate her from them.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:10 PM   #46
Heron

So howd it go" did you get any chicks? I have two broodies right now sitting on eggs, not sure about the first batch, she got off them to sit on other eggs. They were cold so we shall see in one week, today I put 9 under another broody, should be fun seeing what hey are, bred with an auracana rooster, a barred rock, a RIR a buff orphington , and asterlorps . Of course also a full blooded auracana . A fun mixture for sure lol. Just purchased my parents and son a coop today, we went 250 miles to pick it up. Holds ten/ twelve girls and next weekend we will be driving another 300 miles to pick them up. Wheaten ameracauna , copper marans cookoo marans and Easter eggers . Loving the eggs and loving seeing mama out there with chicks teaching them to forage.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #47
Heron

Oh Doozer doo; 300 miles? and 250 Miles, Wow.

I took pictures today . Taking a lot of pictures of different things --I finally took a little time to do it. Tonight I hope I will be able to get time to load up the pictures, and show you.

I had one go broody really early -- middle of Feb, and it was well below freezing. I put her in the metal building in a tub to hatch them.

She hatched out three, the rest of the eggs got too cold.

They are wilder than all get out and I would like to know, WHY?
Considering I handled them all the time.
I would take them outside, it turned brutal cold and I had to catch them up and take them back inside. This was done almost on a regular bases. Many of a time when I got them back inside I heard happy chirps; glad to be out of the cold, and yet if I made a noise they stick their heads out from under their mother giving me this distrustful and disgusted look.

I put them out maybe a week ago, for good-- since their wild mother poops a lot and the water trough stinks soon after I changed it. Those wild little things have escaped their pen as well as the main pen and go where they like. Even the mother escaped her pen and for the last two nights she has coached them up in the main chicken house -- into a high nest box. I reached in to get an bunch of eggs in the nest box beside her and one chick screams out and runs out from under her into the very nest box I am trying to get eggs out of. I grabbed it and stuck it under the hen as she attacks my hand. I must say though - it was not much an attack. It was like some one tapping me with an eraser. She and the chicks so seems happy so -- I have decided she is pretty much on her own with them. I keep their pen opening just enough that only they can get in and eat that baby chick food.

I had two more go broody at the same time ---- about the middle of March. -- and it was still cold. I put them in the metal building too -- each one had it's own tub that the high protein cattle food comes in.

One day I walked in and one hen was standing over a bunch of cold eggs. She looked up at me and said ,"I quite, I am done! I don't want to do this anymore." I told her it was fine by me and took her back to the pen. The other hen though she kept at it and hatched out four about last week.

There is something so sweet about this one. This little hen is so trusting of me and her little chicks are just so sweet too. I put them outside in a dog house two days ago. She seems to really like her house -- and when I go to shut them up at night she is all ready in there, she has made a sweet little nest and has them under her. She also seems to be neater than the other hen.

I have yet another that started sitting last week. She kept insisting and I kept insisting that we not. I turned her upside down one day getting the eggs out from under her, and she just laid there with her legs sticking up and sounded like she was crying. This went on for a week and so I finally let her sit on 8 eggs. She is sitting hard, so I imagine I should not be taking pictures this morning or writing this -- but building a second chicken house.

Where are you Doozer? Has it finally turned warm?
Old 04-07-2013, 10:41 PM   #48
Heron

First two is the calm sweet one
Second two is the crazy hen - look at her head all threw up looking at me after I saved her little butt time and time again.
Attached Thumbnails
Broody Chickens-img_0552.jpg   Broody Chickens-img_0562.jpg   Broody Chickens-img_0576.jpg   Broody Chickens-img_0575.jpg  
Old 04-08-2013, 12:39 AM   #49
Heron

Oh my gosh there adorable! Those little girls make awesome broodies !
it's so fun letting these broodys do All the work for us lol. I'm in Montana and its cold tonight. Snowed 2 inches today. Got one set due saturday, can not wait to see what I have. These eggs are a total toss up. She has all kinds of different hens, barred rock, buffs RIR and so on. I'm looking forward to seeing the mix I get. The next batch is going to be funky to, all mixed with auracana . I hope it warms up by next weekend !
Old 05-18-2013, 09:36 AM   #50
Official Plant Nerd

Funny thing happened. 1 of my Black Ameraucana hens went broody. She sat on some Dorking eggs for about a week and then I went away for a weekend and came back and found her sitting in a different nest box on eggs that hadn't been collected while I was gone. She must have gotten off her eggs for a pee break and come back and mixed up which nest box she was sitting in. Anywhooo... the Dorking eggs were cold so I pitched em. I figured if I got 1 taker just by leaving some eggs out that I should try again. Soooo.... I waited a few days and collected 5 Dorking eggs and stuck em in another nest box and sure enough... by the end of the day I had another taker.... 1 of my Blue Ameraucana hens. She's been sitting on the eggs since the 6th or 7th.... I forget which day she started. A few days after she started sitting on the eggs she got off em to go get something to eat and for a potty break. She gets off her eggs and I watch as 1 of the Orpington hens takes over. She nestles herself on the eggs and poofs out like a Tom turkey. The Ameraucana hen comes back and finds the Orp sitting on her eggs so she gets in another nest box and poofs out like a Tom turkey. I though uh oh.... so I pulled the Orp off the Dorking eggs and put the Blue Ameraucana back on them and all was fine until a few days ago when she got off again for a break and the same Orpington hen tried to take over. This time there was a fight and the Orpington got it good in the comb. Blood splattered everywhere. I had to take her inside and clean her up and stick her in the chicken hospital for a while so the other chickens didn't peck at her. The 1st photo is my Blue Ameraucana hen sitting on the Dorking eggs. The 2nd photo is the Orpington hen trying to take over the egg another chicken just laid. I think I'm going to put her in the chicken prison (chicken tractor) for a while so there's some peace and quiet out there. I think if the Blue Ameraucana hen is really doing her job.... I might have chicks on the 27th or 28th of this month. She is down to 4 eggs from the original 5 I put out there. For some reason she kept pushing 1 particular egg out from underneath her. I was curious if she was booting the same egg so I put a little x on it and put it back under her. Sure enough.... the next day the same egg was over in the corner. I stuck it under her again in the middle of the other 4 and she booted it again so she must know something I don't. I pitched it.
--
Now.... the nest box she's in is on top. It's about 3.5' off the ground. A gal I go to a knitting group with said I shouldn't worry about that. She said the chicks will hatch and drop to the ground unharmed. I'm having a difficult time believing her but we're half way through the hatch and I'm afraid to move that tray down into a lower spot. Any ideas about what I should do?
Attached Thumbnails
Broody Chickens-img_2456.jpg   Broody Chickens-img_2453.jpg  

Tags
bath, behavior, broody, broody chicken, broody hen, chickens, chicks, dip, dipping, domestic chickens, eggs, hens, poultry, rooster, water