Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability > Livestock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2014, 04:31 PM   #121
Official Plant Nerd

That sucks. I wrapped them individually twice over so it's a bummer a few were broken and one was cracked. They should be able to handle getting tossed and even dropped at that stage. Sounds to me like somebody pitched the box in the bottom of a heap and it got compressed under the weight of other boxes. Maybe I should wrap them the way I did then stick the smaller box inside a larger box of styrofoam peanuts next time and just pay an extra $10 for shipping?
--
I'd put what ever you have that's not cracked under hens without waiting. I took the first 5 or 6 pure bred Ameraucana eggs (can't remember whether it was 5 or 6) and put them under a chicken as a test and got 4 chicks a few days ago and none of those candled that they were fertile. Same thing happened with the 12 mutt eggs I collected for a school.... nothing looked like it was fertile but the room mother put them in the incubator anyway so the kids would have some time with anything that hatched before school let out.... I just found out the janitor called her over the weekend because he heard peeping. She went in and there were 9 fluffy mutt chicks. They were using some sort of a kid-made candler out of an oatmeal box. I sent another batch of Ameraucana x Orpington or x Barred Rock up north a few days before I sent out your box and he doesn't candle until they've been in an incubator for 5 days or so and all he had to pitch were 3 eggs. is might have been tossed around too or maybe had some hairline fractures. I think I only sent him 10 eggs though since I wanted to start collecting for EllenW. If all goes well for him.... he'll get 7 chicks. I'll let you know if any of his hatch in about 2 weeks.
--
Don't worry.... we'll try again and I'll double box next time if you candle 5 days after they've been under a hen and don't see anything. I know what it's like to be lusting for something only to get it and it's trashed so.... I got ya covered babe!!!
Old 05-21-2014, 12:32 PM   #122
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
That sucks. I wrapped them individually twice over so it's a bummer a few were broken and one was cracked. They should be able to handle getting tossed and even dropped at that stage. Sounds to me like somebody pitched the box in the bottom of a heap and it got compressed under the weight of other boxes. Maybe I should wrap them the way I did then stick the smaller box inside a larger box of styrofoam peanuts next time and just pay an extra $10 for shipping?

-- you stacked them in the box but. They were not large end up so the cells broke.

I'd put what ever you have that's not cracked under hens without waiting. I took the first 5 or 6 pure bred Ameraucana eggs (can't remember whether it was 5 or 6) and put them under a chicken as a test and got 4 chicks a few days ago and none of those candled that they were fertile. Same thing happened with the 12 mutt eggs I collected for a school.... nothing looked like it was fertile but the room mother put them in the incubator anyway so the kids would have some time with anything that hatched before school let out.... I just found out the janitor called her over the weekend because he heard peeping. She went in and there were 9 fluffy mutt chicks. They were using some sort of a kid-made candler out of an oatmeal box. I sent another batch of Ameraucana x Orpington or x Barred Rock up north a few days before I sent out your box and he doesn't candle until they've been in an incubator for 5 days or so and all he had to pitch were 3 eggs. is might have been tossed around too or maybe had some hairline fractures. I think I only sent him 10 eggs though since I wanted to start collecting for EllenW. If all goes well for him.... he'll get 7 chicks. I'll let you know if any of his hatch in about 2 weeks.
--
Don't worry.... we'll try again and I'll double box next time if you candle 5 days after they've been under a hen and don't see anything. I know what it's like to be lusting for something only to get it and it's trashed so.... I got ya covered babe!!!
I candled, and i have the best candler, they were all bad. The air sacks were destroyed as they were shaken so badly and not set up, large end up . No air sacks what so ever.
Doozerdoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bath, behavior, broody, broody chicken, broody hen, chickens, chicks, dip, dipping, domestic chickens, eggs, hens, poultry, rooster, water