Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability > Livestock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 06:03 PM   #41
Heron

The answer to your question is andalusian or Andalusian mix. Very nice bird!
Doozerdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:27 PM   #42
Official Plant Nerd

"wait, you had lots of dorkings what happened ? they all flew away ?" The first day olds I received were dorkings. When I ordered that straight run, it'd been my intent to keep 5 of the females and then all the rest would go to freezer camp. I had a problem with delivery and those chicks got cold blasts of Chicago's finest when we had that cold snap the end of April and I lost about half of them. Of what was left, I ended up with 7 females. I separated out the males from the females with the males going into a new 16 x 16' run and the females going into a section of the chicken coop so they could get used to the older birds. Usually I put the younger birds we're keeping in a corner of the chicken coop for about a week or so to familiarize them with their new digs and then I let them have access to the whole coop and the run. I was told to do this so the chicks would know where they belonged at night. It does help. Anywhooo.... I'd read dorkings flew well but didn't think much about that since I'm a wing clipper over here... I mean.... what chicken can fly after all the flight feathers on the right wing have been clipped? What I learned about them is that they can still fly even with their flight feathers clipped. 1 of the females got out of the big run and freaked after she got out so she wouldn't come to me. I did end up getting her back the next morning. She musta been hungry so she went for some bait I'd put out for a mink believe it or not. She's back inside the coop until I figure out what to do about these dorkings to contain them. I've seen chickens with clipped wings make it 3 - 4' off the ground but not up and over a fence through a boatload of fishing line. That was a 1st.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #43
WG Facilitator

Maybe you shouldn't leave such yummy snacks lying around, just tempting those chicks to push the limits . . . .
Old 06-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #44
Official Plant Nerd

I think what happened was Mildred went after that chick to put it in its place and the chick chose flight and ended up on the other side of the hog panel. It was either Mildred or Norma. Norma is our black sex link and she tends to help maintain the pecking order. Ha ha ha.... I lucked out chossing the wrong mink bait!!!
Old 06-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #45
WG Facilitator

Bad luck for the mink, good luck for Norma. Got away from mean Mildred and got a tasty snack too.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #46
Official Plant Nerd

We haven't named any of the Dorking pullets yet..... we'll probably just recycle some names because we like the names we picked. Norma is the black sex link. She's 1 of the original "tester" chicks we got from Farm and Fleet. Norma can be a real stickler about the pecking order. Mildred just gets her pecks in then moves on but Norma will go back for a few more to get her point across. Norma's the meanie!!! I'm finding the black sex links aren't all that docile like the dorkings. She woulda been a real doozie if she hadn't been handled at such a young age.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #47
Heron

Your right, hence I decided against sex links when I was told by many people ,there on the aggressive side. I wanted them in the worst way, but did not want to contend with any aggression. But there suposed to be some big egg layers.
the pecking order can be a hassle, so far I have 3 different sized birds and the big girls like to pick on the pullets, the pullets like to pick on the chicks, and miss daisy is broody again and so is pecky lecky UGH
Old 06-24-2012, 11:26 PM   #48
Official Plant Nerd

Norma lays a monster egg. It's around 2.5 oz. It's on the darker side as far as brown eggs go so it always stands out. She's not aggressive toward people like some of the wyandottes were. She's aggressive toward anything beneath her in the pecking order. I honestly don't think they're the best choice of a breed for a mixed flock unless maybe you've got more than 1 of them so they can get all nasty with each other.
--
Our largest birds are the Blue English Orpingtons and interestingly enough.... they're all low man totem pole. Our 2 barred rocks rule the roosts followed by the black sex link.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #49
Heron

My buffs are low on the totem pole also, but are agressive towards the pullets, which I guess is a pecking order right now. and yeah, sex links are on the agressive side towards birds. they need a lot of space in a coop if a person was to have more then 1. there pretty much a farm bird with lots of open spaces and a very large coop. when they peck, they go for blood. I wanted the eggs, just did not want to deal with there problems.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:02 PM   #50
Official Plant Nerd

Orpingtons... like australorps....are a little bit too laid back.
--
We have a lot of space and Norma's still a snit. We didn't exactly pick her. She came as 1 of the "practice" chicks from Farm and Fleet before our eggs and our 1st day olds came in. We were told none of em would live. They all lived and so Norma stays put. She's a snit but.... she's our snit.

Tags
backyard chickens, breeds, chickens, chicks, cockerels, dorking, grey, grey dorking, hens, poultry, pullets, silver, silver grey dorking