Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability > Livestock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #31
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Do you guys realize that from your banter, chickens sound like a lot of work! How do you ever get away from home?
Lol chickens are easy for me, I have access to water right to the coop, I have an electric door opener and I can go any where leaving them out to free range as they put them selves tp bed lol. My chickens are well trained! I'm at work right now and my chickens are roaming free. I will be Mad if they eat my strawberry plants today!
Doozerdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #32
WG Facilitator

Equilibrium,

Inquiring minds want to know - how did you get the new title? Pantyhose Princess?!?!?!
Old 06-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #33
Official Plant Nerd

I found another plus to dorkings.... they're the only chicks I've ever had that LIKE eating slugs.
--
Sage> Just start ups are time consuming. After you get a good system going.... they don't take hardly any time at all. Getting away from home is a problem. Pretty much somebody has to stay behind or you've got to hire somebody to come and make sure they've got fresh water and ample food and that they're shut in at night if you aren't LUCKY enough to have an automatic chicken door. I think they could make it at least a week or so on their own if I had an automatic chicken door and owned 3 or 4 more waterers and feeders. From that respect.... they're low maintenance other than there'd be nobody around to collect eggs so those would all have to be pitched.
--
biig> I still haven't figured out how I got re-titled. I'm sure it had something to do with me using pantyhose to stake plants.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:39 PM   #34
WG Facilitator

heeheehee - yeah, I found a thread where Sage was giving you a hard time about pantyhose. . . . It's all Sage's fault!
Old 06-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #35
Official Plant Nerd

I knew something got my title and avatar changed. I'm gone almost all of next week so can you save me some time and gimmie the link to that thread you found? It's been killing me trying to figure out how I got that ghastly new avatar!!!
Old 06-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #36
Official Plant Nerd

I think I’ve got to rethink this breed. I’ve got their flight feathers neatly clipped and they can still fly. Incredible…. friggin incredible. I’m down to 6 female dorkings as of this afternoon. 1 flew up going after a cabbage moth of all things and got tangled in the fishing line but kept flapping her wings and broke free and ended up on the other side of the hog panels and off she went with me chasing after her. @#^$%&!!!! I have NEVER had a chicken with a clipped wing get out of the chicken run even before I added yards and yards and yards of zig zagged and criss crossed fishing line. They said dorkings were amazing fliers for such a heavy breed….. I clipped all of their flight wings and thought nothing else of it until… this afternoon.
--
I got a workout.... what I didn't get was the chicken though.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #37
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I knew something got my title and avatar changed. I'm gone almost all of next week so can you save me some time and gimmie the link to that thread you found? It's been killing me trying to figure out how I got that ghastly new avatar!!!
Would this be it? Hugelkultur: On Beyond Lasagna

My apologies to Sage - it was dapjwy who said

Quote:
What is it with you and pantyhose!?!? It's like pantyhose is your duct tape!
Old 06-21-2012, 10:18 AM   #38
Official Plant Nerd

Ah ha!!! It was Dappy who planted the "seed" that resulted in me getting gifted with a pile 'o panty hose under my name!!! I was wondering about that!!!
--
Update on the Dorking.... I got it back. It ended up in the mink trap I'd baited with corn, honey, and scrambled egg.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:48 PM   #39
Heron

wait, you had lots of dorkings what happened ? they all flew away ? I have got to go back and read the thread, or can you give me the low down lol.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #40
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Oopsie... I thought you were getting a mix. What's a Production Red? A Rhode Island Red???
--
I just learned there's a downside to dorkings.... they fly well... really well. Even with clipped wings they can fly well. Not a good thing if you're in an area where there's a lot of predators. This breed of bird would need to be in pens with bird netting or screening of some sort to contain them. I've never seen chickens this age with clipped flight wings able to get out of a pen. That's a bummer.... for me at least.
Production reds are like whites ( leghorns, they produce good amounts of eggs. watch closely they tend to be pickers and there for need much room. I have read stories of how they picked on every other breed but there own down to the skulls. of course I would have loved these birds, there real good layers!!

Tags
backyard chickens, breeds, chickens, chicks, cockerels, dorking, grey, grey dorking, hens, poultry, pullets, silver, silver grey dorking