Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability > Livestock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 06:51 AM   #31
WG Facilitator

I was hoping you'd ask your vet. It obviously works for whatever breed she has, and I can't imagine that it could hurt. A free range chicken's diet is going to vary drastically depending on what bugs are swarming that week.

I don't have chicks yet, but I'd try it in a heartbeat . Using food to trigger a maternal instinct sounds appealing to me.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #32
Official Plant Nerd

My chicken and rabbit vet was a Missionary but I forgot where he was stationed. Somewhere in South or Central America. He's a pretty wild kinda guy who doesn't exactly fit the cookie cutter mold of a Missionary but he's been on the money for the most part with my chickens and rabbits and he's not a gouger on his pricing. I like him... I like him a lot. There's something earthy about him. I've got 2 questions for him already. 1 about rabies vaccines for people.... specifically monkey, a question about a rabbit I'm still having a problem with and now.... this question about chickens. I keep my list by the door so if I have to go in.... I can grab it.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:37 PM   #33
WG Facilitator

I'm glad you have a vet you can trust. And I'm not surprised that a Chicken Vet doesn't fit the usual mold. . .
Old 08-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #34
Official Plant Nerd

I still haven't been to the vet yet. I'll be going sometime in September.
--
Backing up to poopy butt.... I found some photos I'd meant to post of how easy it was taking care of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Better Hens and Gardens….-img_9086.jpg   Better Hens and Gardens….-img_9089.jpg  
Old 11-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #35
Official Plant Nerd

I've tweaked my process a little since I started raising day olds so this is more of an update for anyone thinking of "going for it" like EW and Dappy and recurve.
--
I've started layering paper towels over the wood shavings for pert near an entire week instead of only a few days. I just layer it and add more layers for about 7 days. In the area directly under the feeder and the light bulb.... I do sometimes roll up the paper towels and just remove them adding a fresh layer of paper towels because those areas become soiled the fastest. The reason for lengthening the amount of time I use the paper towels is a direct result of watching day olds exploring their environment by "sampling" poops and wood shavings for longer than I was comfortable with. I'd rather they "sample" crumbles and my offerings for the 1st week to get them off to a better start than poops and wood shavings. By the time I removed the paper towels at a week.... they definitely weren't interested in sampling much of anything except scrambled eggs that I put out for them and when shavings and poops did end up on the plate.... they picked around them opting for the flax seed and what ever else I decided to give them instead.
--
Next thing I've started doing differently is I'm leaving the marbles in the water for a longer period of time... about an extra week. I found that by leaving the marbles in the water.... they were less likely to plant both feet in the trough. They'll still stick 1 foot in the trough leaving 1 foot out but their little butts aren't always directly over the trough with 1 foot in and 1 foot out. Marbles are slippery and they're small enough that they shift around when a chick tries standing on them with both feet which makes the chicks lose their balance so they're not able to get their whole little bodies over the water they drink. They prefer solid ground... even if it's just 1 foot on solid ground and that's a good thing for me because the chicks standing half in and half out of the trough are only pooping directly into their own water 50% of the time... it depends on the angle they're standing whether their butts are over the water or not. Using marbles longer means I don't have to change the water as much the 1st 2 weeks. There were days where I had to change the water like 6 times and I couldn't keep up on days that I had to go to work. Once they've grown and the waterer can get elevated a little, there's no more need for the marbles.
--
I reverted back to the long trough crumbles feeder for a batch of over 30 chicks.... it was just too hard keeping up with the littler feeders. I did wedge some styrofoam in the crack at the end hoping nobody would get their foot stuck and also hoping they wouldn't peck at or try consuming something (the styrofoam) that they couldn't see. They didn't. I still prefer the smaller feeders.... it's just that on days when I had to go to work... I was afraid they'd run out of food and even very young chicks will start pecking at each other and anything they can peck at if they're hungry.
--
I use a basic light bulb the 1st week but now on larger batches of chicks.... say anything over 15... I'm switching to a red light at 1 week. I'd prefer to keep white light on day olds longer than a week because they'll get up and eat on and off throughout the night which means they gain weight faster than they would under a red light. I have no clue what happened but.... something happened and 1 chick ended up getting pecked bloody. I removed it to a smaller brooder and ended up having to remove 2 more chicks that ended up getting pecked. I cleaned the pecked spots with warm soapy water then added a dab of triple antibiotic ointment and the sores healed in no time flat. In white light chickens can see blood and they'll all start pecking at it. In red light.... they can't see the blood and are less likely to do damage to another chick. Problem is... the red bulbs are a lot more expensive than white bulbs.
--
Something of interest would be that the only chicks that were pecked on were the Red Rangers which were twice the size of the Dorking chicks they were in the brooder with. Dorkings are a heritage breed and the majority of their "instincts" are in tack.... not so I learned for either the Freedom or the Red Rangers. I'm just speculating here but.... I could have run them out of crumbles while I was at work and since the Rangers develop so much more quickly... the dorking chicks might have started pecking at loose tail fluff on the Rangers being replaced by tail feathers.
So.... if I could... I'd separate day old meat chicks like Freedom Rangers and Red Rangers and Black Broilers out from layer chicks because.... by 3 weeks.... they're twice the size of other chicks and if but for no other reason.... it made for adjusting the waterer and feeders a challenge when half were at 1 height and the other half were at another height.
--
biig> I did ask. He wasn't a proponent of drastic protein percentage changes in a layer's diet. He wasn't familiar with your DIL's method but said he wouldn't rule it out. He said I might have better luck if I added eggs to a nest box and waited to see if any of my birds showed an interest. I tried that using golf balls and commercial white eggs thinking that since my eggs were mostly brown or blue that I could swap the fakes out for the "real" thing that was fertile if I got a taker and had no luck then 1 day.... I ended up with not 1 but 2 broodies and the rest is history. Broodies are considerably less work than incubators.... that's for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Better Hens and Gardens….-img_2665.jpg   Better Hens and Gardens….-img_2669.jpg   Better Hens and Gardens….-img_2666.jpg   Better Hens and Gardens….-img_2667.jpg   Better Hens and Gardens….-img_2681.jpg  

Old 11-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #36
Alternate POM Judge

Oh they are so cute. It sounds like there is a lot to know about raising chickens. Is there any information on the web that you know of and recommend? Thank you so much for sharing equil.
EllenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:32 AM   #37
Official Plant Nerd

There's really no more to know about raising chickens than there is to say raising foals or puppies. I'd say the 1st step is getting out there right now and finding a vet that you'll be able to lean on if you have to. Not an avian vet that sees expensive exotic birds because they're not gonna be too happy about folk like us with $10 chickens sitting in their waiting rooms that have 10k parrots but a "real" poultry vet. Where you live.... it'll probably be easier finding 1 than where I live. I had to go across the border into another state to find mine.
--
I dunno if you realize it or not but.... spring is literally around the corner so I'd start looking for a used 150 gallon stock tank right now. If you can't find 1 to use as a brooder.... start looking for an old thick cardboard dishwasher or washing machine box. Those will work just as well as a stock tank and don't let anyone tell you any different.
--
The very best website was an Australian site called the Happy Hen House, Deleted Forum. It's gone.... it went ***poof***. But.... I saved all of their FAQs!!! I've got something like 18MB of data and I use it.... regularly because.... well.... I think this thread outlines why the FAQs the Aussies had blew away most of the FAQs we've got on US websites, The Happy Hen House site is shutting down.
--
I'm Eastern European and tend to hang with my "own"... many of whom.... grew up in the old USSR and like my family.... brought their "ways" with them to the US. I got a lot of help from my "community" but my community doesn't speak English too well and they're all my parents' ages and none of them are into computers so I can't "hook" you up with them or I would... maybe when you come visit me I'll take you "visiting" and you ask any questions you want and I'll translate? There's another community out there that Bulu turned me onto when I 1st started with chickens and had a problem that's loaded with common sense that you could for sure get help from, ChickenChatter.org. The folk over there are down to earth and have oodles of common sense.... like the Eastern Europeans do only all their members are fluent in English. There's no scientists like what we've got over here but.... there's hundreds of years of "experience" floating around at Chicken Chatter that you could tap into so that would be my 1st choice for you to go to for help. I had a hard time registering and ended up using Bulu's account and password. I'm registered now so if you have a problem over there getting your own account.... I can just give you my password until you figure out how to get your own account. What's really nice about the folk over there is that if they don't know the answer.... they won't pull an Indiana Jones on you making it up as they go.
--
There's a site you're going to stumble onto called Backyard Chickens.... don't even bother registering. Too many egos running around that site and way too many members paying to play if you know what I mean. I found them 1st and registered and ended up getting bombarded with offers and there were fights in the thread I started between "experts" who were supposedly trying to help me... they weren't.... they were establishing themselves as "experts" at each others' expense "marketing" to me. You won't get unbiased information from that site like you will from Chicken Chatter. Backyard Chickens is fully monetized.... the owners make $$$ of the "experts" they've got running around in their threads so they seem to take a hands off approach to what ever spews from the fingertips of their venders. Chicken Chatter has some ads but they don't have any venders that are allowed to roam around their threads posing as "experts" spreading misinformation that could lead to sales and.... dead chickens and the administrator of Chicken Chatter actually raises chickens so that's a big plus.
--
You can use me.... Doozer.... or biig in a pinch too. We're not all that "green" around the ears any more!!!
Old 11-30-2013, 12:50 PM   #38
Alternate POM Judge

Oh so you all have chickens? Biig does too? Hmm ill check around for a used stock tank or large box. The show I saw said raccoon's will chew through chicken wire. Is that true? I have a bunch of it and was planning on covering the top of my run with it. Thanks!
Old 11-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #39
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
Oh so you all have chickens? Biig does too?
I did - I brought them to my Dad when hubby left. I have a big place to take care of myself, and had to do a little downsizing.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #40
Alternate POM Judge

Oh I bet you miss your chickens blueyes. I'm thinking it will be a year before I get chickens. I would like to have a vegetable garden this year. I was also given 3 purple martin poles and gourds. I'm debating whether or not to keep them. I have so much to take care of too.

Tags
baby chicks, backyard, brooder, brooder set up, brooders, care, caring, chickens, chicks, day old chicks, feeding, gardens, gardens…, hens, hens and gardens, photos, poultry, setup, step by step, water