Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability > Livestock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 09:13 PM   #21
WG Facilitator

Equilibrium, I'll try to get specifics for you. Daughter in law has chickens, and she was passing on info she got. It's something along the lines of give them high protein feed - I think it's for 10 days, and then completely shut off the protein. It's supposed to make them go broody. Let me check & report back to you.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:38 AM   #22
WG Facilitator

This is from my daughter-in-law:

Quote:
The lady who sold me my last chicks said she gives them a very high protein feed like turkey mash for 10 days and then takes it away and feeds them only chicken scratch for a few days and they go broody.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #23
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by biigblueyes View Post
This is from my daughter-in-law:
The lady was totally wrong, what will happen is they will go into a molt. feeding to high a protein will damage kidneys. there is no way to bring on a molt, some birds are prone to it then others, and many have been breed to not molt these days. this is why I wanted buff orphingtons, they are broody, or can be, i have 2 and only one is broody all the time ( three times in a year 4th time she got eggs ) she went broody and it took me a long time to get her out of it, once 3 weeks. this last time ( her fourth broody I finally gave her eggs, she just would not come out of the broody lol. you either have a chicken who is prone to broodyness or not. some folks I know have several and it drives them nuts as they stop laying for weeks. I sugest you get more buffs , grow them up and allow them to sit on there eggs longer durring the day, I was forever forgetting to get egs until evening and buffs tend to sit on them if there there. you will know you have a potential broody if she sits on her egg, and gathers others. mine did this for several days until she fought you to not get off them at all or you taking them.
messing with there feed to get them this way is not true, and could send them into a molt, and stop laying.
Doozerdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #24
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Ohhh Doooooooozer.... I came up with 1 plus to a brooder over a broody. My brooder can do 35 chicks at once!!! Nanner nanner nanner. The thought of 1 poor broody frantically trying to take care of 35 chicks sends me into fits of giggles because.... I don't know a broody out there that wouldn't try! She'd fail but... she'd try.
a friend just hatched out 16 chicks from her broody, and there doing awesome. the fact that a broody takes over fully is way better then a brooder who you have to care for and dote over lol, im never ever going to care for chicks again, this was the best and easiest. girl you need to buy some orphingtons, about 5 of them, there real broody girls. my friend had 3 go broody all at one lol, and set 36 eggs under them, all but 4 hatched.
sorry girl quality over quantity hee hee hee
Old 05-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #25
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBooBearBecky View Post
Equilibrium,
Thanks for creating this wonderful and most informative thread about baby chicks. Better Hens and Gardens is a fantastic title for it!!!

I enjoyed all the tips you posted, the step by step directions, the photos, and the links to various websites for chicken gear. Most of all I love hearing your chicken stories. Giggled like crazy when you said your baby chicks all scooted underneath you while squatting. That's the picture I will forever have in my head of you! LOL!!!

Doozerdoo-You have much to contribute under the chicken topic. It's nice to have members in our forum with real chicken raising experiences.

I would have give anything to see a photo of this........
Five stars for "Team Chicken" Equilibrium and Doozerdoo!
Thank you sweetie I have studied for 2 years before getting chcikens, Im still studying. If Im not knee in chicken books, Im in journals and on web sites. I found this was my nitch in life, to do chickens and with what room I have and such make sure my birds are healthy, happy. my family thinks Im obsessed, and yes I am lol.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #26
Heron

I hope I figured out how to attach photos still trying lol, here is my latest pullets. just a few of them, uploading more today.
Attached Thumbnails
Better Hens and Gardens….-dscf3084.jpg   Better Hens and Gardens….-dscf3094.jpg   Better Hens and Gardens….-dscf3092.jpg  
Old 05-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #27
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
OMG.... I was typing when you were typing and didn't even catch you'd posted. It's ok.... you can brag... I'd be bragging if I had 1 that's for sure. I'm happy for ya that you've got a broody. I just wish 1 of my 3 large fowl blue orpingtons would go broody but so far no luck and that's why I bought them. I had high hopes 1 would turn broody. No such luck yet. Silkies are too small for me and I don't know that they'd fare too well this far north without heat in our coop but you're 100% on the money.... they'll sit on brillo pads. Another breed that's supposedly guaranteed to go broody is a Sumatra but.... I've seen those and I think that'd be too much bird for us. They're flighty and sorta on the aloof and anti-social side.
--
About the black broilers.... they're a little bit slower to develop than the white broilers but they don't go down on their legs as fast. I'm thinking you're on the money again. The white broilers can be taken in at around 8-10 weeks. The blacks at about 10-12 weeks.
--
"My buff is done raising the babies, except for the night time sleeping on the roost with them under her wing, she has taught them well." Awwww. I have a funny story about some of the chicks we hatched last year. When we let them out into their run the 1st coupla times.... I stood back from them then squatted down to encourage them to move around. They bee lined it for me and I thought awwwww..... how cute.... they love me. They weren't bee lining to me.... they were bee lining to get underneath me. And underneath me they stayed until I stood up. It's a scary world out there when you're up against much older chickens!!!
oh man how adorable. your there mama !! I would have loved to see that
Old 05-26-2012, 01:27 PM   #28
Heron

here are the chicks sitting on the roost at 3 weeks, and on top of mama on the roost. also a picture of my very first egg, note the coloring from store bought and my little orange one. today my eggs are a beautiful orange color and large. they get romaine lettuce ( did you know this about romaine ? It is rich in vitamin A, vitamin K, folate, vitamin C, manganese, chromium, vitamin B1, vitamin B2 and the minerals like potassium, molybdenum, iron and phosphorus. Romaine is, thus, rich in so many vital elements for the body and is a highly nutritious food.I also give my chickens c antelope, yogurt, and blue berrys, they eat pumpkin, watermellon, squash and tomatoes. all this is given just before bed time, where I "bulk them up" meal worms ( dried and live) are given once a week, and black sunflower seeds with raisins and other seeds are given also once a week. there given a flock block to munch on in there pen when there not running around my yard. last nights treat... corn on the cob ( on sale big time) romaine, apple and a waffle I cooked and the kids did not eat lol. i usually never feed them all this stuff during the day, I want them to eat there calcium enriched foods first. ( pellets) so in the evenings they have there treats, then off to slumber land. I tend to think the goodies I give them at night help make there health much healthier. Also found a neat trick for those who get snow and no grass all winter. we freeze the grass!! we load it into a gallon size bag, and stack it in our extra freezer. its as green as ever coming out of the freezer. also squash zucchini, berries are frozen so they can have these treats in winter and Im not spending a fortune for it. during the summer and fall these go on sale big time, heck we bought so many pumpkins that my girls had the last one in March lol. I learned chickens love cabbage, so much so that when it was on sale i hung the whole head on a chain ( hook through it) and they ate the whole thing in 2 days. problem was my eggs began to taste funky . yep cabbage means funky tasting eggs, no more cabbage lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Better Hens and Gardens….-chicks024.jpg   Better Hens and Gardens….-chicks023.jpg   Better Hens and Gardens….-041.jpg  
Old 05-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #29
WG Operations, Facilitator

Doozerdo,
Thanks for sharing the photos of your happy feathered gals and your first egg!

The feeding tips you mentioned are helpful too. I'm writing all your tips down in case I decide to get a few chicks in the future.

Freezing fresh grass in a ziplock bag....wow, totally creative idea!
Old 05-27-2012, 05:35 AM   #30
Official Plant Nerd

biig> I'll ask my vet about it.... there could be something to it!!! Ya never know until ya ask!!!
--
Doozer- "the fact that a broody takes over fully is way better then a brooder who you have to care for and dote over lol, im never ever going to care for chicks again, this was the best and easiest. girl you need to buy some orphingtons, about 5 of them, there real broody girls. my friend had 3 go broody all at one lol, and set 36 eggs under them, all but 4 hatched." I bought 4 large fowl Blue English Orpingtons.... don't ask what I paid.... I've been desperate for a broody and a Silkie just wouldn't make it over here. The Coopers Hawk fed 1 to her nestlings. That leaves me 3 so I've still got a chance at a broody from 1 of them. They won't be a year old for a few months.... there's still hope.
--
I've got 2 stock tanks I use for chicks. The main stock tank I keep in the living room and the other stock tank is out on the screened in porch. When we hatched eggs from our incubator, we didn't get a lot.... some person in our house who will go unnamed couldn't resist the temptation of "peeking" inside the incubator. He kept opening up the incubator like 10x a day which was throwing off the temps and the humidity. Anywhooo.... we didn't get many chicks from that 1st hatch so they got a lot of "people" time. I used to squat inside the stock tank to give them treats and clean down the sides. They were used to our dogs barking but when my brother brought his over.... they'd run underneath me when they barked. I think that's how that dodging underneath me started. I don't really get in the stock tanks much anymore unless I'm sticking 1 leg in for balance when I'm picking em up to move em into the other stock tank or to move them from the stock tank out to the chicken tractor.
--
That's a really cute photo of the chicks on the mama and the photo of the eggs is really great. Our 1st eggs were really small too and the color of the yolks was vibrant. They were about the size of bantam eggs. Within a few months, ours were the size of the large eggs sold at grocery stores and some were the size of the jumbo eggs. All our large fowl chickens seemed to start out laying small eggs that were around 25-30g like what you photographed but in no time they were up over 50g.

Tags
baby chicks, backyard, brooder, brooder set up, brooders, care, caring, chickens, chicks, day old chicks, feeding, gardens, gardens…, hens, hens and gardens, photos, poultry, setup, step by step, water