Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability > Livestock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default An awwwwwwww day.

I bred 2 rabbits about 31 days ago. I actually figured out I could breed them to deliver on my day off or.... pretty darn close. I've been having a field day running in and out of the house checking on the "progress". So far Mabel has 8 kits and Lucy has 3.
--
I've gotta be upfront.... some of these babies will be for human consumption. I'm planning on getting help figuring out which 1s are the picks of the litters.... those will be separated out from the mason jar camp rabbits. The picks of the litters are going to little 4H kids for FREE because I want to give them a leg up in the showring.... the same people with the $$$ buying up all the champions for their breeding stock win every year it seems so I'm thinking it's time for an upset!!! Ha ha ha.... I'm cheap but.... I will part with $$$ if I have to and I felt I had to. I snapped up 3 champion lines before anyone saw it coming... they're our pets now and.... they just happen to reproduce!!! I can't wait to see little kids in the showring with judges wondering where the H E double hockey stick some 6 year old got a rabbit like that. Our oldest is gonna be showing Julio or April in the meat class and I'm hoping he gets a ribbon for all his hard work!!!
--
Back outside so I can see if we've got any more babies!!!
Attached Thumbnails
An awwwwwwww day.-mabels-kits.jpg   An awwwwwwww day.-lucys-kits.jpg  
Old 04-20-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
Heron

Those are so tiny! Guinea pig babies are born like miniature adults, with hair and their eyes open. Are rabbits born without hair? Can they see anything yet when they are that little?
BeeWonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
A Bee's Best Friend

Awww is right lady, as much to you as to the bunny babies...

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
Pope

Those little ears are too much. I'd better stop before I start using baby talk!
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

No hair BeeW!!! That's the color of their skin you're seeing in the photos!!! They'll have hair within about 10 days and that's about when their eyes open up too!!! I didn't know guinea pigs came out the gate raring to go!!! Way cool!!!
--
Mabel's up to 10!!! That's pretty wild for a 1st pregnancy!!! I'm blown away. Lucy's up to 4 and I felt her belly and I'm not feeling any more lil walnuts in there so she might be done.
--
Gloria> You live close by me.... you do realize I'd give you 1 for your grandchildren if you want. The bunnies that are the good quality will be handled so it's not like by the time they would leave here that they'd be scratching the crap out of any kid trying to handle em. I'm finding our breed has a MUCH better temperament than the California rabbits. The New Zealand rabbits are so so but they're not as easy going as what we've got. They're Champagne D'argent babies so they'll be solid black for a while until they start changing over to the adult coat which is a lot like a silver fox. It's pretty wild.... they go from jet black to the most gorgeous light silver tipped coat with a dark silver muzzle all in under a year.
--
Hey Pope.... you can have 1 too!!! I'll personally deliver yours if you want the weekend of Sept 29th when I'm crashing your house. SURPRISE. I wanted to go to that lunatic tour last year and missed the thing.... that's not gonna happen this year!!! Prepare yourself!!! Guard your chocolate!!!
--
BTW.... I just found out I'm gonna have to clean my house before Sunday!!! Gag me. I didn't want to have to do that!!! Some people we've never met before have a Downs kid who they're driving down to see the babies since he's going to be getting 1 when it's old enough to be away from its mom. They want to take some photos so now I have to.... GASP... CHOKE.... clean my house since if they came in here right now their kid would probably trip on something and break his neck just walking through my kitchen!!! I have plants and potting soil and chicken stuff and who knows what else all over everywhere!!!
Old 04-20-2012, 05:30 PM   #6
Pope

Lib, I'll happily take the visit (it's going into my calendar, pronto) but will have to pass on the widdle bunny. It will be bigger than our dog by the time you arrive. Gotta go update my agenda!
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

Oopsie... I miscounted Mabel's kits. She's only got 9 which is still good. Pillsbury went out and counted them. He did something that made me laugh.... he put a divider in the nest box and moved them 1 by 1 from 1 side of the divider to the other side then back again as a recount. There's only 9. I watched. He said he did it that way because he kept losing count of how many there were in the clump of black bunnies all writhing around changing places.
--
Hedge> I'm coming. I was thinking of flying because it'd be cheaper than driving but I've found a few places I wanna stop at on the way down and back. I dunno how much the tickets cost but.... could you get em and let me know how much I owe you so we don't get shut out? That lunatic tour's really intereting to me. There's a few areas down by you with waterfalls I'd like to see too if you're game.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #8
WG Operations, Facilitator

Equilibrium-
Beautiful baby bunnies!!!
Old 04-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
Official Plant Nerd

Thank you thank you thank you!!! You want 1.... it's yours. It could be delivered in person if you want!!! You do realize me and hava are still hoping to crash your place this summer if you're feeling up to a visit and if neither of us has any cold or flu bugs don't you>>>? We know you can't travel far from home right about now and I think it goes without saying you can't risk visits from anyone "packin" a bug since you're on a transplant list so it'd come down to being a last minute thing but... we're crossing fingers and toes!!! I'm thinking you missed some replies in some other threads.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #10
WG Operations, Facilitator

Equilibrium, a last minute summer visit is ok by me!! Thanks for understanding my travel limitations right now. I would so love to meet you and hava or any wildlifegardeners members.

Holy cow easter bunny!!! A bunny for me???!!!! HUGS!! Yes, I would love to have a bunny. I would love him, and kiss him, and hug him, and name him bunbun and use his poo for garden fertilizier.

Tags
awwwwwwww, baby babies, baby bunnies, birth, breeding stock, bunny, day, kits, rabbit