Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability > Livestock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #21
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

ALL my pets are spoiled rotten. My hubby should have it so good!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #22
Official Plant Nerd

I couldn’t take it anymore…. I took Bun Bun to the vet. This baby’s beyond bulky I tell you and I wasn’t into all this playing dead business. My vet looked at him and asked me, “How old is this rabbit?” I told him it was born on April 20th. He wanted to know if I wasn’t off a month or so and laughed. He examined the rabbit then said Bun Bun’s very healthy and obviously well fed and told me to stop giving it Miracle Gro. I laughed…. I feel muuuuuuch better. I guess he eats so much he has to “sleep it off”. Either that or Bun Bun’s deafer than a door nail and sleeping through getting picked up. The vet doesn’t think he’s deaf though. He just thinks he’s a chow hound in a growth spurt and that his litter mates will catch up. Your er…. uh…. not-so-boingy bonus-sized baby Bun Bun is gonna give you a “bounty” of colossal poops!!! He’s a twofer!!!
Attached Thumbnails
An awwwwwwww day.-img_8834.jpg  

Last edited by Equilibrium; 05-04-2012 at 12:21 PM. Reason: screw up.... grabbed wrong photo!!!
Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #23
WG Operations, Facilitator

OMG...chubby Bun-Bun is sooooooo cute!!! Am laughing my butt off because you took Bun-Bun to the vet for being fat!! ha ha ha! har har har!
Old 05-04-2012, 04:25 PM   #24
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

I'm afraid to post here for fear I'll then get a bunny sent to me!!!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #25
Heron

Even America's bunnies are suffering form childhood obesity these days!! To many McAlfalfa nuggets tisk tisk
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #26
Official Plant Nerd

4B> He's not chubby at all. It wasn't so much his size that made me bring him in.... it was more his lack of "boinginess" combined with his size if that makes sense. My vet's cool. Even he said it was a big bunny for its age so I'm not totally off my rocker.
--
Sage> No bunnies for you!!!! Only big black hand raised roosters for you.... ha ha ha!!! You need a multi-tasking travel friend for cookiecat!!!
--
recurve> "McAlfalfa nuggets".... ha ha ha.... no McAnything here!!! Only Timothy cubes for our bunnies and a tablespoon a day of treats like apple slices or what not!!! Bun Bun really isn't fat.... he's just a big boy with a healthy appetite!!!
Old 05-20-2012, 07:24 AM   #27
Grub

Posting to say great and entertaining thread, and so I get subsequent posts since I too am a bunny mom (tho no plans for breeding the pet house rabbit Holland Lop), but consider owning and breeding outdoors for food.

As my first Bokashi bucket ripens for mixing with soil/hay/bunny poop for composted soil production, I'm curious to learn how other bunny people are "harvesting" and using their bunny poop with their plants.
soundsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:49 AM   #28
Official Plant Nerd

We have "pet" rabbits too!!! The breed we've got has a low bone to meat ratio. The lops are pretty high.... better keep that 1 as a pet. Just teasing with ya but some breeds are definitely better for meat rabbits than others. For meat rabbits, you'd want to check into New Zealand, California, and Champagne d"Argent. Those are the rabbits with 30% or less bone. And.... outdoors up off the ground in elevated hutches in the shade is definitely best. They can't take heat at all. I put trays under our outdoor hutches so it makes it easier on me "harvesting" their poops. Those trays you can buy at home improvement stores work great. They're sold as discharge pans for washing machines.
--
Bunny poops don't need to be composted at all so you don't need to stick those in your bokashi bucket. Neither do goat poops. They're pretty much ready made fertilizer pellets so you can just "sprinkle" em around the bases of your plants or work em into the soil. I wish I woulda seen your reply before this weekend since I just used 4 5-gallon buckets of bunny poops in a brand new raised veggie bed and I coulda taken photos for you. I pretty much built a frame for the bed then put cardboard down to block weeds and grass from growing up into my food plants. I tossed in logs of buckthorn ontop of the cardboard then filled in with pine shavings and chicken poops I'd saved from the coop from over winter. I let it rain a few times so it'd all settle then added more pine shavings and poop around the logs. Chicken poops have to be composted for about a year so that's why those are way at the bottom. Next I added a layer of black dirt and bunnie poops and let it sit for a while. Then I added about 4" of sphagnum and let it sit for a while. Came back in with composted horse manure and another layer of black dirt and another layer of sphagnum and ran a tiller through it all to mix it up good. I scored some dead fish from a pet shop and worked those in too then topped it off with more bunny poops. Life is good when you've got "in house" fertilizer pellet producers!!!
--
4B> Here's lookin' at you babe!!! Guess who that is camped out in a food bowl chowing down? All the bunnies are eating timothy cubes and pellets now. You need to let me know what brand of pellets you're going to be buying so I can buy some and mix it in with what I've been feeding a coupla weeks before he goes home so we don't end up with the runs or anything. BTW.... Bunbun likes clover leaves better than dandelion leaves and turns his nose up at apple slices.
Attached Thumbnails
An awwwwwwww day.-img_8954.jpg  
Old 05-21-2012, 05:56 AM   #29
Grub

Thanks for the reply, Eq.

Was delighted to find that bunny droppings are "cold" and started grabbing some bunches with a big spoon to drop on top of the soil of the indoor garden.

Will be soon ready to mix the weekly litter box accumulation of hay/poops with Bokashi compost and soil, which should be easy to accomplish. Layer of poopy hay, layer of compost, topped with dirt (commercial garden soil now, seasonally-used potting mix later) is the plan, keeping in mind that this is indoors and my hope is not to have to lid the extant lidless 15-gallon container. We'll see.

Guess one question is whether the litter box hay, having had urine pass through it, will work OK in the above scenario. Seems most of the urine slips through to the unscreened bottom layer of ferret litter. I don't notice any ammonia smell during the week, only when I dump the box, so my guess is that it's probably all right.

Thanks for the recommendations for better bone/meat ratio breeds. The next step is to get serious with my landlord about my recent 'joke' that I'd raise rabbits out in the parking lot / garage and then arrange use of the table saw down stairs in his shop and collect plans for an outdoor hutch.

Oh, and learn a bit of carpentering.

Work's cut out for me in the rabbit endeavor. Clearly.
soundsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #30
WG Operations, Facilitator

bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
4B> Here's lookin' at you babe!!! Guess who that is camped out in a food bowl chowing down? All the bunnies are eating timothy cubes and pellets now. You need to let me know what brand of pellets you're going to be buying so I can buy some and mix it in with what I've been feeding a coupla weeks before he goes home so we don't end up with the runs or anything. BTW.... Bunbun likes clover leaves better than dandelion leaves and turns his nose up at apple slices.

Smooches & Hugs to Bun-Bun!!

What kind of food are you feeding Bun-Bun? I could just buy the same stuff you are using. I have a bag of clover seed I'm going to plant for Bun's Bun's desert.

Tags
awwwwwwww, baby babies, baby bunnies, birth, breeding stock, bunny, day, kits, rabbit