Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability > Livestock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #91
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

For crying out loud! BunBun has more than my dog has.
What a Puff ha!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #92
Official Plant Nerd

Here's the new baby bunny I bought. We got her young enough that she's taming up really fast.... so much so that she started falling asleep in my lap when I went to take a photo of her. She'll be 100% silver in no time flat now that she's started to lose her baby coat.
--
Hey 4B> got any more updated photos of Sir Bunbun>>>?
Attached Thumbnails
An awwwwwwww day.-img_2709.jpg  
Old 07-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #93
Official Plant Nerd

Oh oh oh.... here's a photo of her mama. Her mama is a darker silver so I'm thinking she'll be a tad bit darker than the other does I have. Her Daddy was a lighter silver like our Lucy and Julio.
Attached Thumbnails
An awwwwwwww day.-img_2430.jpg  
Old 10-05-2013, 06:23 AM   #94
Official Plant Nerd

recurve> "I'm going to take you up on those pullets one of these days as so as I build a proper coop and I'm going to need to pick your brain about bunnies too!" For rabbits, We sorta got off on the baby thread so I’m moving this over here from here, http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/for...2041-baby.html. I've tried every meat breed out there in the past few years and anytime there's kids involved.... the only breed I personally would go with would be the Champagne d'Argent which... happens to be what I have that I can give to you for free!!! They're real laid back and easy going. Kids getting scratched or charged by a New Zealand or a California takes all the fun out of it and that’s what most people end up with since they’re so common. Champagne d'Argent rabbits are by far the most gentle-natured of the meat breeds and it’d be best if you could get it by 8 weeks so your kids could start handling it. I shipped in a new doe this summer. Her name is Lourdes and she's a real honey…. I’ll have to go take a photo of her and post it for you. I'll be breeding her for the 1st time next April so any babies she has would be ready by around August. Phoebie II and Lucy will be bred in January so definitely count on a bunnie from me. If your kids will want to show it, I'd need to know so I could try finding someone to tattoo it.
--
About the brain picking.... chickens are a lot more challenging than rabbits. Rabbits are easy peasy if they're off the ground and out of the sun and rain and snow.... they don't tolerate heat well and don't like getting wet. Really.... there's not much to pick brains over when it comes to rabbits other than making sure any bunny you get is free of "snuffles" so you don't end up stuck with it because the kids got attached to it. There really isn't much any of us can do for snuffles if we end up with a rabbit that has it other than go to the vet every time it shows signs. We got duped on the 1st rabbit we bought and were waaaaaaaay too attached to her by the time we figured out her little cold from supposedly being in and out of air conditioning wasn't exactly a little cold. We went the treatment route and ended up with a thousand $ + bunny after all was said and done and you DON'T want to end up like us. She did finally lose her symptoms but.... she was a carrier and keeping her totally stress free with our new dog Zoe and kids running in and out banging doors and separated from the others and incessant hand washing every time anyone touched her and disinfecting her hutch weekly was too much so we got her spayed and found her a new home.... as an "only" rabbit.... far far away from other rabbits. It really got to the point with my "garden gifts" running around here that keeping her was too risky to the other rabbits and no way no how did I ever want to do to somebody else what had been done to us so I let her go to a new home with little kids that love her to death!!! She lives in an air conditioned apartment where they couldn't have dogs or cats but were allowed to have a pet mouse, rat, gunea pig, rabbit, bird, or lizard.

Tags
awwwwwwww, baby babies, baby bunnies, birth, breeding stock, bunny, day, kits, rabbit