Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Landscape and Garden Design

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 04:56 AM   #1
Rock Star

Default Any ideas for tall blue or purple summer flowers?

Now is the time for many yellow native flowers to bloom.
Can anyone think of native blue or purple taller flowers that bloom with the yellows?
I have a whole clump of non native purple balloon flowers I'd like to replace with a native if I can find one.
Later I'll have large patches of purple asters and blue lobelia in the rain garden.
I do have a 2 nicely spreading patches of medium purple wild petunia now but they are lower.
Attached Thumbnails
Any ideas for tall blue or purple summer flowers?-img_2255.jpg  
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:36 AM   #2
Salamander

Two excellent choices are Liatris pycnostachya and Vernonia altissima. Each have beautiful purple flowers and are excellent for attracting butterflies.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:32 AM   #3
Offical Silphium Abuser

Liatris!
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:43 AM   #4
WG Fundraising Coordinator

I'm looking for the same thing, too many yellows! My purple coneflowers are still blooming so that helps. Verbena stricta, Hoary vervain is good for dry soil, Verbena hastata, Blue vervain for moist soils. Campanula americana, Tall Bellflower is good for shady places. If you don't mind the stick-tights, Desmodium canadense, Canada ticktrefoil is bushy and takes any kind of conditions. I wouldn't put it in a small garden though.

Agastache scrophulariifolia, Purple giant hyssop or Agastache foeniculum, Blue giant hyssop are possibilities. Monarda fistulosa is just about done here but may still be in full bloom where you are.

I'm adding more liatris next year and probably more Verbena and Echinacea. The Dalea purpurea is taking forever to grow but hopefully it will make a good front edge once it does.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:18 AM   #5
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Campanula americana was the only thing that came immediately to mind for anything blue...but I see linrose already suggested it.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:23 AM   #6
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Unsure if they are native or not...but these are the blues that are currently in blossom....
Perennial bachelor buttons, Jacobs ladder, baptisia, campanula-bluebells, clustered bellflower, morning glories, flax, chicory, russian sage, lobelia, Blue bottle gentian, Phacelia,

And these would be the purples....
Pincushion, Phlox, liatrus, Clematus, veronica, vervain-verbena hastata, larkspur, Echinacea, Delphinium

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:44 AM   #7
Rock Star

The interesting thing is a Vernonia noveboracensis ,NY Ironweed (rather then V.altissima Porterbrook suggested) is right at the garden behind this front narrow garden but, because it's very tall and the flowers are small and it is among the switch grass, it doesn't show much.

I will try to get my hands on some liatris, it will look good in the front with the Monarda fistulosa.
I think maybe some Campanula americana also.
I did have the verbena hastata but it disappeared this year, I might try it again or the vervain.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
If anyone has photos of these plants in your gardens I would like to see some.

havalotta, bachelor buttons. morning glories, flax, chicory and russian sage are considered invasive non natives for me.
The morning glory in particular is a problem for me and I'm the one who planted it!
Attached Thumbnails
Any ideas for tall blue or purple summer flowers?-img_2306.jpg   Any ideas for tall blue or purple summer flowers?-img_2286.jpg  
Old 07-31-2011, 09:24 AM   #8
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Strangely enough I have swamp milkweed which likes moist soil growing with Verbena stricta which likes dry soil and they are both doing OK. The liatris corms gets eaten by voles in the winter but this Liatris spicata I planted last year made it through, even though it looks so lonely. Actually there are two other spikes nearby but they didn't make it into the photo, they are tangled up with the cutleaf coneflower. I also grow Liatris aspera which I don't have a photo of, I just planted it this year.

I'm going to try Campanula americana next year too. Are you going to plant this fall or wait until next spring?
Attached Thumbnails
Any ideas for tall blue or purple summer flowers?-hoary-vervain-swamp-milkweed.jpg   Any ideas for tall blue or purple summer flowers?-lonely-liatris.jpg  
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:00 AM   #9
Rock Star

linrose, Thanks for the photos.
I think swamp milkweed is very tolerant of less moisture since I have it growing also in a drier area with butterfly weed where it self sowed.
Then again it might be more rain then usual and the soil is fast draining so both survive since I still have monkey flower that flowered and grew nicely until the recent hot, dry spell, among the little bluestem in the hot dry street garden.
The monkey flower recently put out new growth with just a little extra rain.

I think I'll add a little in the fall and the rest in the spring.
It depends on what I can find at the fall native plant sale at Bowman's Hill.
I have 1 large switch grass to move in the fall that I didn't get to in the spring since the fork I was using to dig out another switch grass cracked in the center. I'm replacing that with more little bluestem.
The switch grass looks quite out of place without the 2 other switch grasses to balance it.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:44 AM   #10
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-o-wisp View Post
...I still have monkey flower that flowered and grew nicely until the recent hot, dry spell, among the little bluestem in the hot dry street garden.
The monkey flower recently put out new growth with just a little extra rain.
It has been dry here as well...I did, however, see monkey flower blooming in a dry ditch along the side of the road I walk.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
altissima, baptisia, bellflower, blooming, blue, blue flowers, campanula americana, flowers, gentian, hoary vervain, ideas, liatris, menarda, native plants, natives, purple, purple flowers, pycnostachya, sage, summer, summer blooming, tall, verbena, verbena stricta, vernonia