Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Landscape and Garden Design

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2011, 01:23 PM   #41
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Cool! The middle photo almost looks deer like with lots of vertebrae.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:48 PM   #42
WG Operations, Facilitator

Papercarver, OMG those artistic snags you made are so coooooool!!!! Wow! I love what you did with deadfall wood. Amazing!!!!
May I ask what is holding it all together? Is that rebar?
Old 09-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #43
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by papercarver View Post
I just installed this piece in a sculpture show in Newburyport, MA. It is sized for a small garden site (about 7 feet tall) and was inspired by the use of snags in my yard by birds and dragonflies for perching...

Great artful perch!!! I can see one in front of my feeders, someplace close to the pond. Great for birds and dragonflies!!! Nice job, carver!

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:05 PM   #44
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I like how you think--I like the "this is what I intended" idea. If I can do even SOME of what I have pictured, it will look more intentional.

I actually did consider creating a sign hanging from a "branch" (that I'd have to carve out)...but I usually don't like anything man made. I love your *idea* and I bet a lot of people would jump at the idea, but I may scrap my sign idea and keep it totally natural looking.
dapjwy,

Chainsaws are dangerous tools. No amount of art is worth losing a finger, an arm or a foot or whatever, from trying to use one if you are not already skilled with it high up on a snag. The instructions on them specifically tell you not to use them over your head, because you can overbalance. They are heavy. Your back, shoulders and arms will be sore from heavy weight held at weird angles, then vibrating.

Let it weather awhile. Nature will take care of it and it will look much better than what you could achieve trying to make it look "natural". Be one with your snag. Meditate on it. Consider all the possiblities long enough that moss starts to grow, the birds start to peck at it, the carpenter bees start to nest, the vines start growing all on their own. Plant a few shrubs by the base, perhaps. By then, you'll be happy with how it looks and you will have saved yourself a great deal of stress and possibly an injury.

Truly, speaking as someone who has worked emergency room shifts, it isn't worth the chance. If you insist on trying it, do it on scaffolding, wear your protective gear and absolutely have someone up there assisting you.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:12 PM   #45
Salamander

Quote:
I just installed this piece in a sculpture show in Newburyport, MA. It is sized for a small garden site (about 7 feet tall) and was inspired by the use of snags in my yard by birds and dragonflies for perching...
Wow, that is a unique piece! There is so much creativity in this group!
scarecrowsdrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:16 PM   #46
Salamander

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I'm finally taking the time to upload a picture or two. The drawings are some rough ideas I sketched out while playing cards with friends two weeks ago.
I like the first drawing best, too, Dap--- though both have a lot of character and I am looking forward to whatever you come up with!
scarecrowsdrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:59 PM   #47
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Congratulations on the car solution - I just went through this myself and I can ENTIRELY sympathize with how stressful it is to be figuring out how you're going to get to work, etc...
Thank you.

It was more stressful than I thought it would be...glad it is nearly over. Thankfully, we had some kind and generous friends helping us out.

Quote:
I think the idea of trading with a chainsaw artist is a TERRIFIC idea : although I have never carved with a chainsaw, I've done some carving and I seriously doubt that you will be able to get the detail that you would like (guessing from your sketches) unless you have a good deal of experience doing this kind of carving...

Rather than making your carving design as detailed as you have it, how about keeping the broader gestures and making it more abstract?
Although I'd like to do it myself, I think bartering would make more sense.

I agree that it would not have to be as detailed as I sketched...but I would want to make the top look more like a snag than a stump. As long as it looks more like a natural snag, I'll be happy.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:05 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrowsdrm View Post
I like the first drawing best, too, Dap--- though both have a lot of character and I am looking forward to whatever you come up with!

Thanks, scarecrowsdrm! That is the first one I doodled, I like it best too, but I think I'd like to modify it a little to have a horizontal "branch" near the top.

I hope it will work out some how. Even it it looks a lot more natural than it does now, I should be happy.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 09-15-2011, 08:16 PM   #49

I nearly missed several responses, but after switching modes and looking back, I think I read them all. Thank you all for the great comments.

I agree, havalotta the first seems best. Who knows what it will look like if it ever gets carved...but at least you know what I'm trying for.

Thanks again to everyone for your comments and input.

Quote:
WOW! That is pretty amazing looking. At first I thought it extended to the ground almost like a long winding fence. That is quite cool.

Great responses from everyone...I agree: *lots* of creativity here.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:34 AM   #50
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBooBearBecky View Post
Papercarver, OMG those artistic snags you made are so coooooool!!!! Wow! I love what you did with deadfall wood. Amazing!!!!
May I ask what is holding it all together? Is that rebar?
Thanks BBBBecky and everyone else for your kind comments!

Here's how I made the piece (in case any of you want to try it at home):

The base is a 6' length of driftwood buried about 8" into the ground (but with a 5/8" diameter rod of aluminum pipe mounted into it and sticking another 12" into the ground to keep it sturdy).

Stuck into the top of the base is an 18" tall piece of pitch pine snag (the driftwood and pine are stuck together by a 5/8" dowel peg, so the top can come off).

There is a 1/4" hole drilled through the pitch pine, through which a 5/16" length of steel rod has been run.

I cut different lengths of downed branches (courtesy of Hurricane Irene) and drilled 5/16" holes through their centers and strung them like beads on the steel rod. The is a small piece of duct tape wrapped around the tips of the rod to keep the branches from sliding off.

Admittedly it is not as useful as a *real* snag (no shelter), but I think it suits a small garden space and because the branches are already on their way to rotten (and many covered in lichen), they should be harboring an insect snack or two...

Tags
birds, carving, chainsaw, create, creating, creative, creativity, cutting, dead tree, habitat, hardwoods, pileated, sawing, snags, tree, tree snags, trees, wildlife, wood carving, woodpeckers