Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Landscape and Garden Design

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2011, 10:13 AM   #31
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Great suggestion NEWisc!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:34 AM   #32
Fox

One more thought on your snag project. The carving part does not need to be elaborate. Conceptually you could look at the carving part as a finishing touch instead of a major undertaking. Think of how a simple border or a small sign completes a rustic prairie planting in a formal landscape. A small carving or a simple phrase carved in the trunk could be all that you need. It could be the element that says 'this is done', 'this is what I intended' 'this is what I want'.

An example of a simple carving could be a woodpecker with a grub in it's beak. An example of a simple phrase could be 'Got Snag?' 'Got Habitat?' or 'Bringing Nature Home'. I'm sure you can think of some better examples, but hopefully those will give you some ideas to make your project feel more manageable.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:47 PM   #33
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrowsdrm View Post
Snags have been one of my favorite things in our habitat and are great for the red-bellied woodpeckers.
I'd *love* to see some woodpeckers and other wildlife close up on the new snag...and get photos as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrowsdrm View Post

In the past we have had plenty of room for snags, but now I have a bunch more than I need, caused by the drought. The habitat now is, as my neighbor succinctly put it, a "fire hazard". We are doing the best we can, with areas kept open on our place, plus some new firebreaks I hope to have put in as soon as possible. It's a real tinderbox, but fortunately we are surrounded by open pastureland.
I'm so sorry to hear that you are losing so many trees. Sorry about the "fire hazard", but glad to know you are doing what you can to remedy that and still keep the wildlife value.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:00 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWisc View Post
Just a quick note to ease your mind about carving with a chainsaw 15' up. I've spent a lot of time behind a chainsaw (with the scars to prove it) and I wouldn't want to try carving off of a ladder either. Think scaffolding. It gives you a solid flat surface to stand on. You can usually rent scaffolding for a reasonable price from hardware or building supply stores; or if you know a contractor you might even be able to borrow some at no cost.
I was thinking of building a platform that I could attach directly to the tree so I'd feel secure. Thanks for the suggestion of *renting* scaffolding...I may end up trying that...although a friend made a suggestion to me during a phone conversation tonight: Perhaps I could barter with a chainsaw carver by offering him a huge chunk of the fallen trunk for a project he could sell in exchange for carving my design for me. (not sure I want to do that, but it is an option.)

Quote:
... if you really want to go crazy, by boring a few holes and some creative use of plumbing, you could use it for the water "source" of your pond/stream project. It could look like you were tapping a maple tree for maple syrup, except that the "maple sap" would be the water source for your water feature.
LOL! That brings an amusing image to my mind.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 09-14-2011, 09:07 PM   #35

Quote:
One more thought on your snag project. The carving part does not need to be elaborate. Conceptually you could look at the carving part as a finishing touch instead of a major undertaking. Think of how a simple border or a small sign completes a rustic prairie planting in a formal landscape. A small carving or a simple phrase carved in the trunk could be all that you need. It could be the element that says 'this is done', 'this is what I intended' 'this is what I want'.
I like how you think--I like the "this is what I intended" idea. If I can do even SOME of what I have pictured, it will look more intentional.

Quote:

An example of a simple carving could be a woodpecker with a grub in it's beak. An example of a simple phrase could be 'Got Snag?' 'Got Habitat?' or 'Bringing Nature Home'. I'm sure you can think of some better examples, but hopefully those will give you some ideas to make your project feel more manageable.
I actually did consider creating a sign hanging from a "branch" (that I'd have to carve out)...but I usually don't like anything man made. I love your *idea* and I bet a lot of people would jump at the idea, but I may scrap my sign idea and keep it totally natural looking.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:20 PM   #36
Salamander

Tree2

Quote:
I'm so sorry to hear that you are losing so many trees. Sorry about the "fire hazard", but glad to know you are doing what you can to remedy that and still keep the wildlife value.
Thanks for your support, Dap,--means a lot to me! Looks like you have some interesting "snag as art" projects of your own. Hope to see some pics when you come up with something in your creative explorations!
scarecrowsdrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:24 PM   #37

We finally got a car today...~whew~ ...the other car is still in the garage being fixed...but things are looking up.

I'm finally taking the time to upload a picture or two. The drawings are some rough ideas I sketched out while playing cards with friends two weeks ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Snags & how to create them-dsc02171.jpg   Snags & how to create them-dsc02173.jpg  
Old 09-14-2011, 09:42 PM   #38
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I'm going for it... You're going to get my first HO ever.
I'm liking the first drawing. The second one's a bit too busy. IMHO

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:32 AM   #39
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
We finally got a car today...~whew~ ...the other car is still in the garage being fixed...but things are looking up.

I'm finally taking the time to upload a picture or two. The drawings are some rough ideas I sketched out while playing cards with friends two weeks ago.
Congratulations on the car solution - I just went through this myself and I can ENTIRELY sympathize with how stressful it is to be figuring out how you're going to get to work, etc...

I think the idea of trading with a chainsaw artist is a TERRIFIC idea : although I have never carved with a chainsaw, I've done some carving and I seriously doubt that you will be able to get the detail that you would like (guessing from your sketches) unless you have a good deal of experience doing this kind of carving.

Also, what NEWisc said is absolutely dead on:

The carving part does not need to be elaborate. Conceptually you could look at the carving part as a finishing touch instead of a major undertaking...It could be the element that says 'this is done', 'this is what I intended' 'this is what I want'.

Rather than making your carving design as detailed as you have it, how about keeping the broader gestures and making it more abstract?
Old 09-15-2011, 11:45 AM   #40
Grub

Default garden sculpture inspired by snags

I just installed this piece in a sculpture show in Newburyport, MA. It is sized for a small garden site (about 7 feet tall) and was inspired by the use of snags in my yard by birds and dragonflies for perching...
Attached Thumbnails
Snags & how to create them-perch-1-email.jpg   Snags & how to create them-perch-2-email.jpg   Snags & how to create them-perch-3-email.jpg  

Tags
birds, carving, chainsaw, create, creating, creative, creativity, cutting, dead tree, habitat, hardwoods, pileated, sawing, snags, tree, tree snags, trees, wildlife, wood carving, woodpeckers