Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Landscape and Garden Design

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2020, 08:22 PM   #91
Grub

I love seeing the snag age! Since I’m new to the party, I didn’t have to wait 9 years to see the “after”. What animals have you seen taking advantage of the habitat you kept for them?
Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 09:54 PM   #92
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I love seeing the snag age! Since Iím new to the party, I didnít have to wait 9 years to see the ďafterĒ. What animals have you seen taking advantage of the habitat you kept for them?
~smile~

It is like binge watching a show that is many seasons in...instead of watching one season and waiting for the second to come out.

As for the snag itself, I think a pileated woodpecker was attacking the base a few months ago. I have finally seen some holes near the top, too...and meant to post about it:

It never occurred to me that my snag would be used by an invasive species--a European starling nested there last year. I didn't know how to discourage it--the hooe is way beat the top.

As for our property, we have had a pair of bluebirds nest here every year...a pair of Baltimore orioles have built a nest here several times that I know of. I have seen a bear here at least three times...once I would almost call an encounter (but it never seemed to see me). There is a right of way that led to a farmer's field below us...and leads through our property and up a dirt driveway into the wooded area across the street from us--I am sure it has been used as a wildlife corridor since before we bought the place (an old farmhouse that was built in 1875--at least the part before the additions).

The trail cam we had up caught a bobcat, foxes, racoons, and a porcupine--none of which I have seen myself. Of course there are deer.

Birds include the usual feeder birds, plus I have seen cedar waxwings, indigo bunting, hummingbirds, and more that I cannot think of at the moment.

Once, early on, I came around a bend in a mowed path I had created (I let the old lawn/field grow up...and mowed paths through it) and I saw several large birds that I couldn't identify...it didn't take me too long to realize that they were baby turkeys when I heard the mother calling to them to get away from that strange man!

I am sure there are plenty of things I am forgetting about.

If you are interested, you can check out my blog...I have not been very good about updating it for the past few years,but there are some newer posts.

Oh...and I have frogs that came to the pond I'm putting in...and once, after digging and filling the newest, larger pond...I heard a blue heron startle as I approached.

...anyway, thank you for making me think back and remember the various encounters I have had. ...And, thank you, Jack, for alerting me to the newest post.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 10:28 PM   #93
Grub

I do read your blog. I was actually asking about the wildlife that has come to the snag, but it’s nice to hear about all of it. I will go back to your blog and check out your new posts. I’m afraid I may sound like Jack as I want to see more about your pond. ��
Old 03-22-2020, 10:31 PM   #94
Grub

And back to the binge watching analogy...I remember binge reading one members amazing journey of transforming their yard into a native plant paradise. But then rather abruptly had to sell their home and was told that regular lawns would increase the property value. Something about getting so invested in this member’s story and then finding out it was ripped out broke my heart. I hope they were able to create a new paradise at their new home.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:29 AM   #95
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
~smile~

it is like binge watching a show that is many seasons in...instead of watching one season and waiting for the second to come out.

as for the snag itself, i think a pileated woodpecker was attacking the base a few months ago. I have finally seen some holes near the top, too...and meant to post about it:

It never occurred to me that my snag would be used by an invasive species--a european starling nested there last year. i didn't know how to discourage it--the hooe is way beat the top.
i remember reading a naturalist's report on his year's obsevations, and all of the reports came from a few square feet of land on his property. He wrote of every little critter that passed though that space,and in the end, it had turned into quite an adventure story considering it was about aroud 2 - 4 square feet of earth!!!

I think of your snag in the same way, dap. You could make daily close observations and learn quite a bit about the denizens of a snag and how they are interacting with one another and how they use the snag to subsist!!! Exciting!!!

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:16 PM   #96
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I do read your blog. I was actually asking about the wildlife that has come to the snag, but itís nice to hear about all of it. I will go back to your blog and check out your new posts. Iím afraid I may sound like Jack as I want to see more about your pond. ��
~smile~

Martha,

My blog is the closest thing I have to a journal...and I have been really bad about updating it over the past few years. I guess I don't think about people reading it.

My pond is in a transitional stage, let's just say.

I will try to post more about it.

When I built the first pond, I expected to create a "how to" (or at least a "how I did it")...I have taken pictures of the second phase (the larger pond)...but I still haven't gotten around to writing up anything of substance. I am still in the process of trying to disguise the liner. Lately, I have been moving a lot of large rocks from the far end of our property to the pond.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
birds, carving, chainsaw, create, creating, creative, creativity, cutting, dead tree, habitat, hardwoods, pileated, sawing, snags, tree, tree snags, trees, wildlife, wood carving, woodpeckers