Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Landscape and Garden Design

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 10:00 PM   #21
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Runmede, maybe you could add this information to bridget's thread on attracting moths:
http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/for...ur-garden.html

If you know of other host plants for moths, please share them with us there.
Map Search | Butterflies and Moths of North America
Here's a map search on Pennsylvania. The drop down list has counties. This will list the butterflies and moths that have been reported in your county. Click on the species for details. Host plants are part of the information when you click on a species.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:27 PM   #22
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runmede View Post
Map Search | Butterflies and Moths of North America
Here's a map search on Pennsylvania. The drop down list has counties. This will list the butterflies and moths that have been reported in your county. Click on the species for details. Host plants are part of the information when you click on a species.
Great. Thanks. I'll try to add it to that thread if you haven't already.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:16 AM   #23
Offical Silphium Abuser

LOVE the spicebush caterpillar photo. We have a nursery in the next county that has a sub-specialty in native shrubs and trees, so we're looking forward to a visit in the spring!
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:18 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
LOVE the spicebush caterpillar photo. We have a nursery in the next county that has a sub-specialty in native shrubs and trees, so we're looking forward to a visit in the spring!
Lucky you! I'm sure you'll have a great time exploring.

Unless I'm missing something closer, I normally have to drive an hour and a half to two and a half hours to get to a native plant nursery.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 01-09-2011, 03:30 PM   #25
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Lucky you! I'm sure you'll have a great time exploring. Unless I'm missing something closer, I normally have to drive an hour and a half to two and a half hours to get to a native plant nursery.
Native Plant Nursery or Nurseries - Pennsylvania, PA, South Carolina, SC, South Dakota, SD, Tennessee, TN, Texas, TX, Utah, UT, Vermont, VT, Virginia, VA

I often get seedlings from my local county soil conservation group. I pay a small price for the seedlings (trees, shrubs, and some times perennials--natives).

2011 Seedling Sale |
There are some natives in their list, but their ground cover is awful Pachysandra. I think there is a native Pachysandra.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:07 PM   #26
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
We drove over 2 hours to get to a native nursery to get the spicebushes and other natives. The caterpillar is so much fun to watch, but so many of them were eaten this summer. We both know that this is one of the reasons to plant natives, so that they will provide food for other animals, but we'd still get bummed out when we'd be watching one for days and then it'd disappear.

The cat spins silk from one side of a leaf to another. Then as the silk dries, the leaf folds around it! We have found that they rest inside leaves that they aren't eating. This makes perfect sense as birds look for leaves with holes in them.

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #27
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Quote:
Native Plant Nursery or Nurseries - Pennsylvania, PA, South Carolina, SC, South Dakota, SD, Tennessee, TN, Texas, TX, Utah, UT, Vermont, VT, Virginia, VA

I often get seedlings from my local county soil conservation group. I pay a small price for the seedlings (trees, shrubs, and some times perennials--natives).

2011 Seedling Sale |
There are some natives in their list, but their ground cover is awful Pachysandra. I think there is a native Pachysandra.
We buy from Pinelands and Earth First, but some of these are new to me. Thanks for sharing the site, Runmede!

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #28

Quote:

Thank you so much for the list. It looks a little more extensive than those I've found before--maybe new ones have just opened/been added. Unfortunately, based mostly on the area codes, none are very close to me. Oh well, it was worth a try. I will keep looking and I can drive and hour and a half and beyond until something closer becomes available. I do have one place probably 45 minutes away that has some native tree seedlings. I mentioned to the owner my interest in natives, so I hope I "planted a seed".

As for local groups, I'll look into that. It would be ideal if they were locally native seedlings. There is one group half an hour away that had a native plant sale, I got some sassafras from them among other things--however, they seem to get their stock from 2 1/2 hours away. At least it saves me that drive.

Yes, there is a native Pachysandra--I have not experience with it though.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:14 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
We drove over 2 hours to get to a native nursery to get the spicebushes and other natives...
If that is where I think it is, we should try to plan that you and John and Jeff and I can all meet there at the same time. I may start going to the one in NY because it may be more similar to my ecozone. Would you guys want to visit that one as well?

Quote:
The caterpillar is so much fun to watch, but so many of them were eaten this summer. We both know that this is one of the reasons to plant natives, so that they will provide food for other animals, but we'd still get bummed out when we'd be watching one for days and then it'd disappear...
I'm hoping that you get more caterpillars and more survive as your spicebush get bigger.

I remember being bummed last summer when the two Monarch cats disappeared, I wish I'd hunted more for the chrysalises, because, as you may remember I found them *after* they'd emerged. So, my disappearances had a happy ending. Is it possible some of yours could have made it or were they too small to be ready?

Quote:
The cat spins silk from one side of a leaf to another. Then as the silk dries, the leaf folds around it! We have found that they rest inside leaves that they aren't eating. This makes perfect sense as birds look for leaves with holes in them.
Now I know what to look for. Interesting that birds are intelligent enough to look for half eaten leaves. I do think many animals are more intelligent than many people give them credit for, but I do have to wonder if the caterpillars are smart enough to hide--or if it is instinct.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:49 PM   #30
Grub

Quote:
I got mine from a company called Ozark Wildflower Company. You have to weed through his list of plants because he also sells exotics. His plants are totally organic. I've gotten Pipevine, Spicebush, Milkweeds, Pawpaw, etc.
dogwooderitternet items - Get great deals on Home Garden items on eBay.com!
I just looked through Ron's ebay list. If you email him, he has more natives. dogwood@eritter.net He'll ship plants to your door.

Tags
deer, deer browse, deer repellants, deer resistant, deer resistant plants, deerresistant, eat, elderberry, fence, fenced, natives, protect, protection, prunus serotina, serviceberry, spicebush, wild black cherry