Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Landscape and Garden Design

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2010, 07:27 PM   #11
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

BooBoo,

Can you add some pictures of your current yard in this thread for contrast?

Thanks.

...oh, and can I add that hostas make me want to gag--especially the variegated kind...although I do see the beauty of the height and shape of the (green) leaves in some situations. I have so many HUGE ones that--maybe luckily, were not divided in many years (and hopefully not shared). I'm getting rid of them, but they keep trying to come back!
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:29 PM   #12
WG Operations, Facilitator

dapjwy,
You need my voracious deer to make salad out of your hostas. LOL!

Quote:
[dapjwy] BooBoo, Can you add some pictures of your current yard in this thread for contrast?
OK, some photos of my current landscaping for a comparison. It's definitely more natural and getting more native all the time. I've got a ways to go yet.

To truly appreciate the beauty of a natural landscape, look through nature's eyes.-dsc_0003.jpg To truly appreciate the beauty of a natural landscape, look through nature's eyes.-dsc_0031.jpg To truly appreciate the beauty of a natural landscape, look through nature's eyes.-img_1629.jpg To truly appreciate the beauty of a natural landscape, look through nature's eyes.-img_1775.jpg To truly appreciate the beauty of a natural landscape, look through nature's eyes.-img_1824.jpg
Old 07-18-2010, 09:44 PM   #13
WG Operations, Facilitator

A few more photos of my current landscaping.

To truly appreciate the beauty of a natural landscape, look through nature's eyes.-img_1924.jpg To truly appreciate the beauty of a natural landscape, look through nature's eyes.-img_1932.jpg To truly appreciate the beauty of a natural landscape, look through nature's eyes.-img_1940.jpg To truly appreciate the beauty of a natural landscape, look through nature's eyes.-img_2141.jpg To truly appreciate the beauty of a natural landscape, look through nature's eyes.-img_2180.jpg
Old 07-18-2010, 09:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBooBearBecky View Post
dapjwy,
You need my voracious deer to make salad out of your hostas. LOL!

OK, some photos of my current landscaping for a comparison. It's definitely more natural and getting more native all the time. I've got a ways to go yet.

Attachment 18262 Attachment 18263 Attachment 18264 Attachment 18265 Attachment 18266
The deer that visit my yard seem to munch on my plantings and not on those darn hostas. Mostly their trimming my blackgum trees that were put in two years ago as 2-3 year old bare root seedlings that they didn't seem very interested in before so I left them unprotected. Luckily they are only "pruning" them and not totaly destroying them

The first pic of the lone cub is excellent. I think you should post it in the photo contest. The flowerbed near the house is my favorite. I'm happy to hear that your place is becoming more native all the time.

Thank you for the pictures.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:55 PM   #15
Fox

Nice photos BooBooBearBecky! Anything with one of your bears in it is always a winner for me.

Quote:
The challenging part is how do we get more people to view landscaping through nature's eye. Most of the members here at Wildlife Gardeners understand the benefits of viewing a landscape through nature's eye, but how do we get more people to appreciate that view?
Education is certainly going to be a key, especially educating the young. Getting more people to read Bringing Nature Home and Noah's Garden would also go a long way to changing attitudes.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWisc View Post
...Getting more people to read Bringing Nature Home and Noah's Garden would also go a long way to changing attitudes.
I had a weird thought on my drive home today. I almost feel silly sharing it here, but your comment reminded me of it. The random thought that popped into my head: We should do a mass mailing of native plant books to random people. I dismissed the thought quickly because it would be cost prohibitive to say the least.

Maybe sharing a book like Noah's Garden or Bringing Nature Home with people we know are likely to have an interest, then asking them to pass it along to someone they know would make more sense.

I have yet to read Bringing Nature Home. I'm still trying to figure out if I should get it to read now (lying out in the hammock that I've yet to put up) or wait until winter.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:11 AM   #17
Official Plant Nerd

"I have yet to read Bringing Nature Home." Bad boy Bad boy.... whatch gonna do when they come for you... Bad boy Bad boy. I can send you my new copy to borrow if you want to go for it now.... without the hammock out yet.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:18 PM   #18
WG Contest Coordinator

Great article! I have had several notices from the township (of fools) telling me to cut my "grass" I have some native sedges around the oak trees in the back and the front used to be mostly unauthorized plants. I told them that I would cut the front but I refused to cut down the sedges, they only grow to about a foot tall anyway but the township has a rule of 6". Well, I took care of the front, I plowed it all up...
Old 07-22-2010, 07:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tineckbone View Post
Great article! I have had several notices from the township (of fools) telling me to cut my "grass" I have some native sedges around the oak trees in the back and the front used to be mostly unauthorized plants. I told them that I would cut the front but I refused to cut down the sedges, they only grow to about a foot tall anyway but the township has a rule of 6". Well, I took care of the front, I plowed it all up...
Aww, tineckbone, so sorry to hear that you have to deal with township regulations. : (
Old 07-22-2010, 08:01 PM   #20
WG Contest Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I had a weird thought on my drive home today. I almost feel silly sharing it here, but your comment reminded me of it. The random thought that popped into my head: We should do a mass mailing of native plant books to random people. I dismissed the thought quickly because it would be cost prohibitive to say the least.

Maybe sharing a book like Noah's Garden or Bringing Nature Home with people we know are likely to have an interest, then asking them to pass it along to someone they know would make more sense.

I have yet to read Bringing Nature Home. I'm still trying to figure out if I should get it to read now (lying out in the hammock that I've yet to put up) or wait until winter.

I will lend you my copy if you like. I could bring it when we all eventually meet for lunch.

Tags
beauty, ecosystem, eyes, landscape, landscaping, lawn alternatives, less lawn, low maintenance, low-maintenance, low-maintenance landscape, native plants, natives, natural, natural landscape, nature, plants, replacing lawn, through nature's eyes, wild landscape, wildflower garden, wildflower meadow, wildlife garden