Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Landscape and Garden Design

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2010, 08:13 AM   #31
WG Fundraising Coordinator

I think the ragwort I have is Small's ragwort (aka Southern Ragwort, Appalachian ragwort), also known botanically as Senecio smallii, Senecio anonymus and Packera anonyma. It's a common upland species in this area, unlike most of the senecios like S. aureus (golden ragwort) that are moisture loving plants.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:19 PM   #32
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
I think the ragwort I have is Small's ragwort (aka Southern Ragwort, Appalachian ragwort), also known botanically as Senecio smallii, Senecio anonymus and Packera anonyma. It's a common upland species in this area, unlike most of the senecios like S. aureus (golden ragwort) that are moisture loving plants.

Cool. Ragwort is such a great golden yellow. You are lucky to have an upland species.

Glad you have the right location for your A. tuberosa. Let us know if you can get it to grow in your project area as well.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:22 PM   #33

Garden update. I'm 3 for 6 on the butterfly weed right now. Next time I'll probably keep them in the pots longer before planting them out, they were so tiny. Everything else is doing quite well. The rabbits are browsing on the asters as usual but I think they'll rebound. We've had sufficient rain and combined with the deep mulch I haven't had to water at all.

I have Ozark coneflower in there which of course is only native to the Ozarks but I love it and so do the butterflies so there it is. Also Tennessee coneflower which is only native to three counties in Tennessee but they are just over the border near Nashville and are endangered so in they went too. There are also some cultivars like Aster 'Purple Dome' because I needed a short aster that tolerates moisture and I love New England aster but not its habit so in they went. This is by no means a purist native garden but it was not intended to be. A few plants are local genotypes, some are from Tennessee, and some are from Prairie Nursery, sort of a mixed bag.

I finally mapped out what I have planted so far. I realized I'm heavy on the coneflowers and sunflowers. I wanted some things that establish quickly and provide blooms the first season. I have a lot of empty spaces so I'm adding downy phlox, purple prairie clover and meadow blazing star and some more prairie dropseed. I think I need a few more cool season forbs too.

I plotted out the bed in AutoCad and exported it to Illustrator to add the color then made a JPEG out of it. I had to chop it into three sections to fit it in an acceptable web page size. The bed is 8 feet by 92 feet. Hope this is readable. I'll need to update it after the new plants go in next week.
Attached Thumbnails
New pocket prairie garden project-prairie-bed-section-1.jpg   New pocket prairie garden project-prairie-bed-section-2.jpg   New pocket prairie garden project-prairie-bed-section-3.jpg  
Old 06-02-2010, 04:27 PM   #34

Thanks, linrose, for keeping us posted. I love the AutoCad graphic which really illustrates what you are creating.

I'm glad most everything is doing so well.

What about adding daisy fleabane (Erigeron sp.) to fill in some of the bare spots?

Quote:
Garden update. I'm 3 for 6 on the butterfly weed right now. Next time I'll probably keep them in the pots longer before planting them out, they were so tiny. Everything else is doing quite well. The rabbits are browsing on the asters as usual but I think they'll rebound. We've had sufficient rain and combined with the deep mulch I haven't had to water at all.

I have Ozark coneflower in there which of course is only native to the Ozarks but I love it and so do the butterflies so there it is. Also Tennessee coneflower which is only native to three counties in Tennessee but they are just over the border near Nashville and are endangered so in they went too. There are also some cultivars like Aster 'Purple Dome' because I needed a short aster that tolerates moisture and I love New England aster but not its habit so in they went. This is by no means a purist native garden but it was not intended to be. A few plants are local genotypes, some are from Tennessee, and some are from Prairie Nursery, sort of a mixed bag.

I finally mapped out what I have planted so far. I realized I'm heavy on the coneflowers and sunflowers. I wanted some things that establish quickly and provide blooms the first season. I have a lot of empty spaces so I'm adding downy phlox, purple prairie clover and meadow blazing star and some more prairie dropseed. I think I need a few more cool season forbs too.

I plotted out the bed in AutoCad and exported it to Illustrator to add the color then made a JPEG out of it. I had to chop it into three sections to fit it in an acceptable web page size. The bed is 8 feet by 92 feet. Hope this is readable. I'll need to update it after the new plants go in next week.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:16 PM   #35
WG Operations, Facilitator

linrose-
That's really neat how you mapped out your native pocket prairie garden. Great planning!

Thanks for sharing all your plant variety ideas too.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:43 AM   #36

Well, I didn't really plan it all out completely, I just sort of grouped by size, tall, medium and short and by sun preference, full sun and part shade tolerant. The middle section gets some morning shade from an oak tree nearby so I needed some shade tolerant plants there. Then I just started planting keeping in mind color distribution as I went. There are mostly yellows and purples so I tried to get a pretty good mix with the grasses sprinkled evenly throughout. I spaced most plants around 2 feet apart except for narrow growers like liatris. I just took a stick and marked out 2 feet, 18" and 1 foot with a red marker on it as a general guide then dug holes with a trowel working from back to front. Then I finally went out a couple of days ago and mapped them where they ended up being planted. Not the most ideal way to go about it but it worked out for the most part.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:55 PM   #37

linrose,

I was out walking my paths and saw the small patch of blue-eyed grass that I noticed last year. (I'm hoping to spread them.) It made me think of your meadow--I think you said in an earlier post that you wanted to fill in some bare spots. Two things came to mind: the blue-eyed grass and pussytoes. I'm not sure if either are appropriate for your pocket prairie.

...oh yeah, how about bluets, too?
Old 06-04-2010, 09:00 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
linrose,

I was out walking my paths and saw the small patch of blue-eyed grass that I noticed last year. (I'm hoping to spread them.) It made me think of your meadow--I think you said in an earlier post that you wanted to fill in some bare spots. Two things came to mind: the blue-eyed grass and pussytoes. I'm not sure if either are appropriate for your pocket prairie.

...oh yeah, how about bluets, too?

Oh, and add daisy fleabane (Erigeron sp.) to the list! That was another I thought of that day--or did I already post that earlier?
Old 06-05-2010, 12:17 PM   #39

Yes you did mention daisy fleabane. It's all over the field so it will probably find its way in naturally. I did plant blue-eyed grass last year but it didn't return. Perhaps I'll try it again it is so pretty.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:19 PM   #40

Quote:
Yes you did mention daisy fleabane. It's all over the field so it will probably find its way in naturally. I did plant blue-eyed grass last year but it didn't return. Perhaps I'll try it again it is so pretty.

~sigh~ I guess, I'm getting old! ...or maybe I thought I'd posted that suggestion on another thread.

Glad you have some Erigeron already. My first year here, I would mow around the few plants I saw in the yard. I let them go to seed, and the second year there were more. Last year, I collected seed and put it where I want it. In case you don't want to wait, you could sprinkle the seed in your bare spots. Some of mine are already making seeds! I'm thinking they might have a couple of generations each summer, but I'm not sure.

Good luck with the blue-eyed grass--if you try again.

Tags
garden, garden project, native plants, pocket, pocket prairie, pocket prairie garden, prairie, prairie garden project, prairie plants, prairie restoration, project, restoration, restoration projects, wildflowers