Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Landscape and Garden Design

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2009, 01:26 PM   #11
WG Staff

MrILoveTheAnts, may we please use one of you bee block photo at the site?
Old 08-26-2009, 04:45 PM   #12
1st Place Winner Winner Butterfly/Moth Contest & Official Ant Man

Yes go right ahead.
MrILoveTheAnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:07 PM   #13

Alright this is probably the garden that needs more help. In my defense though the lighting was awful. The sunflowers were not yet blooming at the time but could easily be viewed from the front yard, and did attract lots of gold finches.

The Vitex I removed only hours ago and replaced with Hydrangea paniculata, which also isn't native but looks a hell of a lot nicer and as far as I know is not invasive. I'm planting Asters around it tomorrow.

Next to the blue shed I have Liatris, and Hyssop well established. White Turtle Head (pictured below) and Trillium decipiens were also growing but not very established. I'm actually surprised one of the three Trilliums flowered and that they tolerated full sun for the whole year. I hope to have both of them spread readily.

The red Lobelia is growing next to a messy aster. I love the aster because of how many bees it attracts but the Lobelia I'm not a huge fan of. I might replant this elsewhere.

The Eastern Redbud I got as a sapling from the Arbor Day Foundation. I hope to see it flowering next year but who can say. I also think it's a host plant to one of our Giant Silk Moths but I'm not certain which one.

Under the Sunflowers was an odd mix of cherry tomato plants that came up on their own, (apparently they can reseed, neat) and some Impatients which became lost in all the foliage. Next year I'll be growing vegetables here and it should hopefully look nicer. Sunflowers are in my normal rotation of crops though, and actually come up wildly in all the gardens. One of the tallest sunflowers that came up was actually a wild one that I transplanted. Here. Compared with one that randomly came up by our bird feeder that's only 6 inches tall. Here.

The stone walk way is unfinished and something my parents wanted. As you can see pictured below it's a haven for weeds. When mowed it looks okay but needs to be weeded out. Any ideas besides Round Up?

Along the fence was a lot of Japanese Honeysuckle that I used Round Up on and greatly killed it. I cut the vines as low as I could and put the nozzle right inside the stem. A single squirt is all I use and I did this along the fence. I hope to kill it completely before I plant vegetables there next year.

The Seven Son Tree I also want to keep. It actually has caterpillars on it nibbling on the leaves, which is always neat to see on a nonnative. It's basically a smaller Crape Myrtle. Next to it for some reason I planted a rose which smells nice.... and on the other side for some reason I planted a nonnative cherry tree that gets to be 60 feet tall. Now that I think about the cherry tree I might want to get rid of it for being so close to the house.

Thoughts? Ideas? Plant Suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
My Garden-sunflowerpatch2.jpg   My Garden-whiteturtlehead2.jpg   My Garden-tomatoeweeds.jpg   My Garden-weedscopy.jpg   My Garden-trilliumred.jpg  

Old 08-27-2009, 12:17 AM   #14
Official Plant Nerd

You can come and visit me any time. You're a stick gardener. You're sticking plants where ever you have space. That is exactly how I garden. I have to think about this but I'm leaning toward packing in anything that's a locally native pollen or nextar plant that you can get your hands on in threes. One plant that I grow on purpose that isn't native is a peony. I've liked the way the ants crawl all over them since I was a kid. It's mesmerizing watching them work the peonies. What's the deal with that plant if you know?
Old 08-27-2009, 12:35 AM   #15

Peonies, I don't know exactly what the answer is but I know what you're talking about. The flower buds are coated with sap or nectar that the ants love. Most new growth on plants is covered in something that ants appreciate.

If the ants aren't stealing nectar from the opened flowers then this is a beneficial relationship for the plant usually. Though their effectiveness varies tend to harass, and sometimes prey upon, other insects that are likely eating the host plant.

If the ants are stealing nectar from the opened flowers though then they're going to far. They're preventing the plant from getting pollinated.

Another plant growing near my blue shed is Asclepias curassavica which is tropical in origin. And very likely an annual this far north. So I'll have to either pot it up for the winter (which is hard to do with Asclepias) and or save the seeds. The thing is though Tapinoma sessile are able to run across the milky surface of the plant and get the nectar. So I'm getting very little in the way of pollination. And I've only seen ants working the flowers.
Attached Thumbnails
My Garden-antsmilkweed.jpg  
Old 08-27-2009, 12:46 AM   #16
Official Plant Nerd

Are you ever outside at night? Are you interested in host species for moths?
Old 08-27-2009, 01:21 AM   #17

The larger silk moths I like. As for the dime a dozen brown moths ... I suppose if the caterpillar is showy, like the Red Hooded Owlet.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:27 PM   #18
Official Plant Nerd

Hey!!! Did you know you're a celebrity? One of your photos is showing for the Insects and Arachnids forum!
Old 08-30-2009, 02:30 PM   #19

Yes, I think it was Staff who asked if they could use one. I said yes.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:56 PM   #20
WG Facilitator

I see that you can take cuttings from Asclepias curassavica, but I dont' find specific instructions. Sorry. . .

Tags
garden