Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Landscape and Garden Design

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
Heron

Default Should I grow trumpet vine on the house?

I have trumpet vine ( (Campsis radicans) growing on a "trellis". Its on the East side of my house along the walk. The East side has one window but its on the other end of the house. I have vinyl siding. I'm willing to prune it to keep it under control.
I've read conflicting information. Some say its fine to grow vines up a house, other say the vine will grow under the siding.
Which is true?
Attached Thumbnails
Should I grow trumpet vine on the house?-flowers-005.jpg   Should I grow trumpet vine on the house?-raingarden-004.jpg  
Old 06-21-2009, 09:21 PM   #2
Salamander

Do yourself a favor Milkweed and move the Campsis radicans now. Grow it on a split rail fence where there are no other things it can get into. I have seen this vine take over telephone poles. It is an aggressive grower and should be planted with caution. And it can get under the siding. Then you really have problems.

Take care,
Frank
Porterbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:25 PM   #3
Unicellular Fungi

Aye yi yi. Porterbrook is right about the siding. I know it is hard work digging up a plant and moving it to a new spot. If you can move it away from your house you might want to seriously consider doing that. This plant has the potential of becomming one with your home. It might even creep through your windows to tuck you in bed at night.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:03 PM   #4
Fox

On the other hand, it can really put you 'in touch' with nature ...
Attached Thumbnails
Should I grow trumpet vine on the house?-trumpet-vine.jpg  
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:03 AM   #5
Heron

LOL
I would something to shade the sides of the house. It looks like its going a good job on that barn.:eek:
I'll pot it up for a friend. She has a huge lot/ small horse farm with rail fences. I'll tell her it attract hummingbirds.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:10 AM   #6
Big Fat juicy WORM

What about using something like jasmine Trachelospermum asiaticum?
They smell heavenly and I don't believe they're quite so er, overly friendly?
Old 06-23-2009, 08:58 AM   #7
Fox

If you are looking for a vine to provide shade, you might consider one of the Aristolochia:

Aristolochia macrophylla
Aristolochia tomentosa
There's a bonus with these two plants, you'd be providing the host plant for the Pipevine Swallowtail butterfly.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:11 AM   #8
Mentor

I thought Parthenocissus quinquefolia was supposed to be gentler on siding & brick that many other vines? I've had mixed success with it. In some conditions it grew rapidly and it others it took a long time to get established even under the same conditions I've seen it kicking butt in under natural conditions. For example, I had a 2 foot high pile of mulch on some concrete in partial shade and the vine grew like there was no tomorrow sprawling all over, yet I had others attached to a chain link fence in moist but not flooded soils that just grew a few leaves per year. At any rate, I never did anything this fancy but here's a propagation link or if that's too fancy burry some soil on top and come back with a shovel and some fill dirt. I know I also tried seeds but I don't remember if the seeds were eaten by something or if they came up.
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:13 AM   #9
WG Writer

Floridata: Campsis radicans

Here is some information on campsis radicans. Here it suckers freely and you wouldn't want to put it in an area where it the suckers couldn't be controlled by mowing. It is a valuable wildlife supporting plant in the right place.

You would not want it in an area of human traffic: it makes you itch like crazy!

WARNING
Quote:
: Its common name cow-itch vine refers to the plant's ability to produce a skin irritant. Contact may resulhttp://www.floridata.com/images/fdexclam.gift in redness, burning and itching in susceptible individuals. This plant may also become invasive when grown under optimal conditions.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:22 AM   #10
Mentor

I think the itching must depend on the person a good deal. I've been in tons of the stuff and never itched. Of course, I can say the same for posion ivy too. The vine did send up shoots in the yard but I just mowed them down. Wasn't a problem because the vine was sprawling over invasive species next to a mowed area (house was a rental so wasn't much I could do to fix it). I could see where you wouldn't want to put it in the middle of an established planting though. Later I attached some to a telephone pole and it did eventually get established and run up the pole. The power people occasionally wacked it back if I didn't beat them to it.
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grow, house, trumpet, vine