Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Landscape and Garden Design

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2016, 07:00 PM   #31
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

linrose,

I agree with you and Ellen; I have been trying to plant things with views from the windows in mind. Down the road, I hope to still be able to walk the yard, but I hope to have views from each window to enjoy the scenery as well as the wildlife it draws in. Even now, I look out the windows a lot in the winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
jack, I've noticed you don't post as much as you used to, I miss you! And dap, your last post sounds so solemn, you've been the most active participant on the forum by far so please keep on encouraging all of us in our endeavors.
I was very active. I hope to post a bit more often...I'd like to see this site continue to be active and a great source of information for others who find us.

I just want to do my part.

Don't take me too seriously, linrose, I guess I'm just in that frame of mind right now. I care a lot about this site, and I want to see it be all it can be.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:00 PM   #32
Offical Silphium Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Yes, once it was legal, we eloped!

Thank you. I still beam when someone congratulates us.

I was married in my heart to him from the beginning, but it just feels great to have legal protections and recognition. (~20 years together, married for 2.)
I have begun training as a wedding officiant with our minister and will be participating in my first wedding on Saturday--the two young women who bought my "widowhood house." I "warned" them that the last three women (all widowed or divorced) who had lived in that house had ended up getting married......

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:31 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
I have begun training as a wedding officiant with our minister and will be participating in my first wedding on Saturday--the two young women who bought my "widowhood house." I "warned" them that the last three women (all widowed or divorced) who had lived in that house had ended up getting married......
~smile~

Good for you.

...and good for them!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 09-16-2016, 11:18 PM   #34
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Well it looks like I started something unexpected here and I love it! Now that we know how old everyone is - next is selfies (just kidding!) Some things are best left a mystery!
HA Found it..... Have fun!

http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/for...-who-will.html

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:35 PM   #35
Offical Silphium Abuser

Off the subject, but this photo from today's wedding makes me happy. These ladies have been the junior members of our neighborhood women's group for the last nine years and are much loved. Their fathers came from New York and Florida to walk them to the wedding gazebo.
Attached Thumbnails
Knowing when to say when, or becoming older and wiser?-2.jpg  

Old 09-18-2016, 09:34 AM   #36
Salamander

Said I would never join Facebook. Then I went to 30 year high school reunion in 2010. Only way I was going to see the pictures was to join Facebook, so I did. For a while, I kept up with what old friends were doing. Then Mothapalooza started. That is when I found out about Facebook groups. Now I don't keep up much with what friends are doing because I spend my time in nature groups.

That said, I think forums are way better than Facebook. Facebook is all about today. What happened yesterday, quickly disappears and trying to find it can be impossible. Facebook's search function stinks. Trying to scroll back through months and months of posts eventually overwhelms your brower's abilities, it crashes, and you have to start over.

While I'm typing this, I'm getting beeped over on a mothing group. For the zillionith time, we are talking about "deadly" hickory tiger caterpillars again. It is like we have never done it before because I cannot just point them to the thread that covers all the angles of the story. I had a post where I linked the research, debunked Snopes, and told what I saw when I had the caterpillars under the microscope. It is lost in the Facebook blackhole.

The caterpillar does all the work but the butterfly gets all the publicity.

George Carlin
KC Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:26 AM   #37
Alternate POM Judge

Quote:
Yes I have noticed the dwindling members here, it is understandable however. I have missed many of them but am hoping we can keep this going for the foreseeable future, I think we have a good thing going here.
I hope we can continue also. I really enjoy this forum.

Quote:
There are many obstacles we have to tackle as we age but if we really love something it is doable. I like what you said Ellen, you are so wise and succinct with your posts, about placing plants you love near a window to enjoy them even if you don't get outdoors on a given day. .
Thank you for your nice comments linrose. They are especially welcome since I have been doing some writing. Your positive comments are encouraging

Quote:
The days are getting noticeably shorter now, summer is waning even though the temperatures haven't abated, and the dogwoods are bronzing. The hummingbirds are still here enjoying the honeysuckle and late scarlet salvia in a pot on the deck. The dog days are numbered now and soon that delicious break in the heat and humidity will give us new energy. I have an excited feeling for fall clean-up and clean out, out with the old, maybe find a new direction for our gardens. Easy-peasy I say, and beautiful at that!
It has been a hot summer. I look forward to cooler weather also. Maybe to help make things easier you can sow seeds instead of planting. I like your enthusiasm
Old 09-18-2016, 04:47 PM   #38
Offical Silphium Abuser

As much as I have loved my pollinator pots, I am with you all on simplifying--may do just coleus and sweet potato vines in next year's porch pots. They need almost no care, give lots of color, and can overwinter in the house.

And we have finally had rain!

Old 09-18-2016, 08:38 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Clark View Post
That said, I think forums are way better than Facebook. Facebook is all about today. What happened yesterday, quickly disappears and trying to find it can be impossible. Facebook's search function stinks. Trying to scroll back through months and months of posts eventually overwhelms your brower's abilities, it crashes, and you have to start over.
Perfectly stated.

Yes, I much prefer the forum.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:19 PM   #40
Alternate POM Judge

Lucky you Rebek. Rain is supposed to be on the way here. Can't wait. It is SO dry.

Tags
knowing, older, wiser