Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Landscape and Garden Design

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2016, 02:06 PM   #1
Fox

Flowersred Neil Diboll - Five Steps to a Successful Prairie Meadow - Video

I recently discovered this video on starting a prairie or meadow on Wisconsin Public Television. It has a lot of good information on getting a prairie or meadow established, as well as some innovative ideas like using buckwheat for smothering when preparing the area for seeding.

Five Steps to a Successful Prairie Meadow - Presented by Neil Diboll
Video: Five Steps to a Successful Prairie Meadow | Watch University Place Online | WPT Video

"Neil Diboll, President, Prairie Nursery, Inc., discusses the benefits of planting prairie and grassland ecosystems. Diboll highlights some of the best plants for both small prairie gardens and large prairie meadows and explains how to install and manage these natural flower gardens."
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:31 AM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

NEWisc,

Many thanks for posting this.

I am at lunch at work now, but will have to watch it ASAP. With my small start last year, I feel the next 3-5 years will be key to my achieving this part of my dream.

I think I've read a book or two from Neil Diboll.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:17 PM   #3
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
NEWisc,

Many thanks for posting this.

I am at lunch at work now, but will have to watch it ASAP. With my small start last year, I feel the next 3-5 years will be key to my achieving this part of my dream.

I think I've read a book or two from Neil Diboll.
You're welcome. Your efforts at restoring/creating native landscapes popped into my mind as I was watching the video, so I thought I would post a link here for you and anyone else that is working on a prairie or meadow landscape.

Neil Diboll has done a lot of work with native plants and native landscapes. Here's a link to some of his writing efforts:
Prairie Nursery : Neil Diboll

And although it won't answer many of your concerns about ecotype, I think you will find this particular writing to be an interesting read:
http://www.prairienursery.com/prairie-nursery/neil-diboll/documents/ecotypic-variation.pdf
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:51 AM   #4
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWisc View Post
You're welcome. Your efforts at restoring/creating native landscapes popped into my mind as I was watching the video, so I thought I would post a link here for you and anyone else that is working on a prairie or meadow landscape.
~smile~

I am finally on the desktop and signed on thinking about finding your link again. I ended up answering in other threads and holding this for last.

I plan to watch it now--but I am also supposed to put in an order for some grass plugs from my favorite nursery. I have NO IDEA why I have been procrastinating on this! I guess I just never find the time after working all day, going to the gym, or working my second job...so, with today off, making a list and ordering from them will have to take precedence over the video--if I find that I'm not calling the nursery soon, then I'll watch the video to get my psyched about calling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWisc View Post
And although it won't answer many of your concerns about ecotype, I think you will find this particular writing to be an interesting read:
http://www.prairienursery.com/prairie-nursery/neil-diboll/documents/ecotypic-variation.pdf
I just opened this and scanned it. It definitely looks like something I'll enjoy reading. ...and it will help educate me more on a topic that I still feel I know too little about.

I really appreciate all the links, NEWisc--thank you again...and others that stumble across this through web searches will thank you as well.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diboll, meadow, neil, prairie, steps, successful, video