Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Landscape and Garden Design

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2015, 08:24 PM   #21
Alternate POM Judge

From what I have seen of your photos kat I think you are doing just fine.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:18 AM   #22
Rock Star

rockerboo, I was looking again at your pairing of the grasses (straight lines) and wild senna with the fine textured small leaves.
I like the contrasting textures.
Also the spotted bee balm has such a strong visual presence I'd like to find a spot for that plant.
I see you also use partridge pea which I found mentioned in in the Living Landscapes book as an excellent plant,
Do you grow it from seed?
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:12 AM   #23
Heron

Most meadow/prairie seed mixes have 50% grasses, 50% wildflowers. I think this balance might be ideal to a unified look to a meadow/prairie garden.

Spotted Bee Balm wants very well draining soil, and doesn't compete very well. Growing in almost pure sand.

Partridge pea is from seed. Only 10 days of stratification, and comes up pretty well.
rockerBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:43 PM   #24
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

This spring, I ordered partridge pea seeds (along with some native grasses, path rush, and slender-leafed mountain mint (all PA ecotype) to add to the wildflower seeds I collected last fall. I planted a few small sections in field that I plan to convert into a native meadow.

I've seen the partridge pea blooming once at a native restoration at the Flight 93 Memorial. That was my first encounter with it...I've never seen it in the wild...so I really don't have much attachment to it. Hopefully that will change now that I'm growing it. I wanted some annuals to bloom the first year.

Ifrom what I just read onoine, they will benefit pollinators and the seed are eaten by quail and prairie chickens--hopefully that means turkeys will like them too (since I suspect PA is short on prairie chickens...).
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:26 PM   #25
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
This spring, I ordered partridge pea seeds (along with some native grasses, path rush, and slender-leafed mountain mint (all PA ecotype) to add to the wildflower seeds I collected last fall. I planted a few small sections in field that I plan to convert into a native meadow.

I've seen the partridge pea blooming once at a native restoration at the Flight 93 Memorial. That was my first encounter with it...I've never seen it in the wild...so I really don't have much attachment to it. Hopefully that will change now that I'm growing it. I wanted some annuals to bloom the first year.

Ifrom what I just read onoine, they will benefit pollinators and the seed are eaten by quail and prairie chickens--hopefully that means turkeys will like them too (since I suspect PA is short on prairie chickens...).
Sounds like the plantings are coming along, Dap. Could you grace me with a few pictures? I'd love to see how it has been evolving...

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:40 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Sounds like the plantings are coming along, Dap. Could you grace me with a few pictures? I'd love to see how it has been evolving...
Sure. Here are the latest pics...I just went out to take photos:

Native plant combinations-20150628_201946.jpg
I'd smothered a small swath along the path--not everything was smothered, so I ended up planting a shorter section than originally planned. I've got to get more cardboard to smother along side this section and incrementally increase the meadow each year.

Native plant combinations-20150628_202004.jpg

Close up of this section.

Native plant combinations-20150628_202119.jpg

This oddly shaped section is in the second acre (first photo above is path near the road not too far from the driveway). Over the years I've tried to smother the crownvetch that took over this section; years ago with just thick woodchips--it grew back; more recently with cardboard--only the planted section seems to be free of crownvetch.

I'd planned to try sparing alongside it, remove any roots, and try planting on spade area. It never happened. Looks like I'll just have to smother those sections and sow more seeds next year.

This is less than ideal, but I'd rather have the small scion started than just cardboard.

Native plant combinations-20150628_202139.jpg

A close up of that section. It was planted 3 weeks to a month later than the first. Really late, but, luckily we've had a lot of rain this summer...and more again this week.

Thanks for asking.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 06-28-2015, 07:42 PM   #27

Sigh...I made sure I was holding phone right side up (even used shutter button instead of screen icon)--why are they still upside down?!
Old 06-28-2015, 08:04 PM   #28
Heron

The phone adds orientation information into the EXIF (Exchangeable image file format) information. Most programs read this to orient them, but VBulletin doesn't support it apparently.
rockerBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:48 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerBOO View Post
The phone adds orientation information into the EXIF (Exchangeable image file format) information. Most programs read this to orient them, but VBulletin doesn't support it apparently.
I see. Thanks for that!

I started to suspect it was the website and not me; I recall editing photos, rotating them, and posting them again, only to find that they were still upside down.

I actually tried that again tonight, and would've resubmitted them, but the website keeps inserting the one saved image I used as a test...so I can't even resubmit them from my phone right now.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:17 PM   #30
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
From what I have seen of your photos kat I think you are doing just fine.
Thanks, Ellen. I'm giving it my best shot. I'm actually considering moving a bunch of stuff around in the back yard....but I'm trying to work up the gumption to plan it. And then do it in the fall and spring. It's gonna be LOTS of work, if I do.

Tags
combinations, native, plant