Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Landscape and Garden Design

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2015, 08:01 AM   #1
Unicellular Fungi

Default Suggestions for a new hedge/screen

When I started to change my backyard over to a native landscape, one of my very first projects was to plant a hedge along my back fence to screen our view from our neighbor's yard. I chose V. trilobum (American High-bush Cranberry), and it was working exceptionally well!

Fast forward 5 years to the present and I'm learning a hard lesson in the need to diversify my plantings. The Viburnum beetle has hit the all the viburnums in my yard hard, especially my V. trilobum. My hedge is now almost completely defoliated in large sections. Nine of the 21 original shrubs are nearly completely bare.

If I had to replace the worst, what would you suggest for mesic-dry, full sun -> shade, and average PH? I already have a gray dogwood hedge/screen along my other fence line. In this instance, I was thinking Choke cherry as a possibility. But heeding my lesson in diversification, I'm looking for two other shrubs as well. What do you think?
rhauser44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:15 AM   #2
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhauser44 View Post
When I started to change my backyard over to a native landscape, one of my very first projects was to plant a hedge along my back fence to screen our view from our neighbor's yard. I chose V. trilobum (American High-bush Cranberry), and it was working exceptionally well!

Fast forward 5 years to the present and I'm learning a hard lesson in the need to diversify my plantings. The Viburnum beetle has hit the all the viburnums in my yard hard, especially my V. trilobum. My hedge is now almost completely defoliated in large sections. Nine of the 21 original shrubs are nearly completely bare.

If I had to replace the worst, what would you suggest for mesic-dry, full sun -> shade, and average PH? I already have a gray dogwood hedge/screen along my other fence line. In this instance, I was thinking Choke cherry as a possibility. But heeding my lesson in diversification, I'm looking for two other shrubs as well. What do you think?
You might consider ninebark and highbush blueberry, which have worked well for me.

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:45 AM   #3
Heron

American Hazelnut, Spicebush (in moister spots), Serviceberry (A. canadensis) more shrubby form. Witch Hazel, maybe some azaleas would work, Fringetree

Maybe mix in some tall grasses? They will get to full height sooner. Big Bluestem, Indian Grass, Switchgrass.
rockerBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:09 AM   #4
Hippie Gardener

I have a mixed hedge that includes a few different plants. I have the V. trilobum in addition to Amorpha fruticosa (False Indigo), Red-Osier Dogwood, Elderberry, Witch Hazel, Spicebush, Prairie Willow, Viburnum dentatum (Arrow wood), and Euonymus atropurpureus (Eastern Wahoo). I think that's it...but I could be missing one or two.

The hedge is in a sunny area along a fence-line and is "staggered" a bit so that it looks more natural. Everything seems to be happy except for the Prairie Willow, which is showing some signs of stress after the last two harsh winters. Dead branches at the top but lots of new shoots coming up from the base. But, as you've already said, the willow's bare branches are much less noticeable among all the other plants, so I'm willing to let it go for a bit and see what happens.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:50 PM   #5
Unicellular Fungi

Thank you all for the quick response and the great suggestions! Some of these I had forgotten about, and others are new to me.
  • ninebark
  • highbush blueberry
  • American Hazelnut
  • Spicebush
  • Serviceberry
  • Witch Hazel
  • False Indigo
  • Elderberry
  • Grasses

I think after I research this list I should come up with at least 3 or 4 candidates for a mixed hedge. I'll let you know what I come up with.
rhauser44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hedge or screen, suggestions