Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Landscape and Garden Design

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2014, 08:52 PM   #31
WG Facilitator

This is the first year my Chickasaw plum made fruit, but they were tiny - 1/2 to 3/4 inch in diameter.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:13 PM   #32
Fox

pawprint

Ohhhhh yes Biigblueyes, 3/4" is about as big as the fruit get...just curious how tall are your chickasaw plum trees just now?, I mean if your out looking for some seed, look to see how tall those things are...please, I would like to know & am very interested in some of your first fruits! I'm looking for small, scawny, scrubby, thorny, but sturdy~~ wild plum to have around my place, they shouldn't really grow much more than 10' at the most...but that varies of course, depending on growing conditions.

If you find some chickasaw wild plum seed please put me some back in a ziplock bag with just a touch of moisture in it, if they still have some plum flesh on them, that is great, don't go to any trouble cleaning seed for me, just pickup some plums off the ground (the mushier the better) and pop in a bag. Even if the seed was found (recently/partially dry), maybe it isn't too late to make viable seed. If I get my hands on them, they will go directly in the growing area. I heard that the key to growing plum trees from seed is do not let the seed dry out, before planting.

Can you ladies tell, I'm such a rookie gardner!!But did you know that my green bell/bottle gourd seed2014 is very viable...oh yea it is out there sprouting before it even gets out of the gourd, it's that good! :P

Yes I would like to try some of the Zinger hybiscus seed pods, so save me some please. Hey Biigblueyes does yours make a nice tea? Yanno I would drink tea if I could find some that tastes good. If you have some pink-eye peas from 2014, I would like to have about 50 peas, if you can spare that much, I would rather get mine from you because it is probably not been grown/treated with pesticides. Need not shell them just for me, but they fit in the envelope easier if ya shell them. hahaaaha

Hey kchd can you find any more of that swamp mallow hybiscus seed? I tried growing some seed this year and something happened and I never got one to grow. (probably got washed out or I didn't scarify it properly) I would still like to have some kind of hybiscus growing around here!

Gosh kchd...I would buy you a drink, just to see your broke arm go up & down...LOL, well, if ya got a cast on it maybe it won't hurt much longer. Since I'm not there, just somewhere on there put my initials on your cast for me please.... That way you can explain that to your friends: 'oh ya, that one from the internet' rofl

ww
Old 10-28-2014, 08:51 PM   #33
WG Facilitator

Yes, the hibiscus tea is very good. I usually make iced tea out of mine - just strain ot and pour it over ice. It doesn't need much sweetening - it has the tart taste like lemon or cranberry, but not the sour.

I got my Chickasaw plum through a program that gives away native seedlings a few years ago. I pruned mine to a tree shape, so it's probably near 10 feet tall. I wouldn't do that again though, I couldn't reach the fruit to check if it was ripe.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:52 PM   #34
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchd View Post
Broke my arm a couple weeks ago "wrestling" with a 150 lbs pissedoff feral hog!
Ouch!
Did he get away, or were you able to put him in the freezer?
Old 10-28-2014, 09:14 PM   #35
Heron

bbe, the ornery sow did not get away!! She is now pushing up the daisies.

You got it, ww. I am pretty sure I still have hibiscus seed from last year. I did not grow any myself yet... ran out of winter sowing jugs

I actually got my arm liberated from the splint today. It was completely immobilized from wrist to shoulder because the break was at the radial head of my ulna... right at the elbow. Elbow fractures are tricky, and now I have to work at getting my range of motion back with phys therapy.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:50 PM   #36
Fox

Oh well... I would have signed your cast had I known about it earlier. I'm wishing you all the best success with your rehab.

ww
Old 10-29-2014, 09:28 AM   #37
Alternate POM Judge

Sounds like you are making progress kchd. Best of luck.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:41 AM   #38
WG Facilitator

Default Seeds for Wildwatcher

Wildwatcher,

The Chickasaw plum are fresh, but only one is still squishy. You want me to put them in a bag with damp - would wrapping them in a damp paper towel work? And yes, they were grown without pesticides.
Attached Thumbnails
Growing UP - vertical gardening-seeds.jpg  
Old 10-30-2014, 07:42 AM   #39
WG Facilitator

Quote:
bbe, the ornery sow did not get away!! She is now pushing up the daisies.
Glad to hear she's fertilizing your daisies!
Old 10-30-2014, 08:26 AM   #40
Fox

pawprint

Biigblueyes,

Those plum are just fine the way they are, I'll take those just like they are, --if you can spare them. Leave them somewhat dry and maybe they will smash kina flat into an bumpy envelope!

I'll send you PM in a few minutes with my address. And you will get at least 25 american beautyberry, and 25 delicata squash seed (both 2014/wild-organic grown) from me...{if that is enough, if you need more than that let me know}. I would like to have your hybiscus seed, but since it is too early, I might try later with a different swap.

I will pay my postage to you, and you will pay your postage to me...if that is fair, then lets do this!

Also, for the seed I'm going to send you, is small & flat which will easily fit in an letter envelope, your seed is bulky & I would understand if you don't want to swap~~~ because your postage will probably cost more than mine.

ww

Tags
gardening, gourd drying, growing, seed swap, vertical