Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Landscape and Garden Design

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2014, 12:13 PM   #21
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Surface mold is actually a good thing to have on gourds especially if you will be scraping off the outer skin after they've fully cured. The mold provides for some very interesting designs underneath that outer coating. That is IF they are FULLY mature and have acquired a hard rind. If not fully mature the mold WILL set them to rot and sink in.

My sister mom and I got together a few weeks back and toyed around with some gourds in between (Still organizing things at camp) and visiting one another while both were recuperating from carpel tunnel surgery. We didn't get much done gourdwise beyond cleaning and scraping a ton of them in prep for another round of actually creating something out of them but we had a lot of fun in the process.

I Woodburned the clothing and hair onto a pear shaped gourd that will become a little native american woman. She'll eventually have a couple of tiny little feathers inserted to add interest and sit in front of another gourd that will bear the likeness of a blazing fire.

My sister finished making a really neat walking stick and rattle with a couple of them. Mom, Shes in the process of finishing off the top edge of one, stuffing it with cotton and making a pin cushion out of it. Pretty neat idea as she really likes to sew.

I'd love to see what Destiny creates pout of yours. They sound real interresting!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:35 AM   #22
Fox

pawprint Sometimes I just 'go for it'

Ohhhhh Ohhhhhhh, Ok so obviously at least one of my gourds was un-ripe!

He got an awful attack of mold and even ruptured with rot.

And I got worried about my other 'babies', so I drilled a big bird house size hole in each one, so they could dry out the inside also. Which was good in one way because I got to taste the inside white flesh, and heyyyyyyy those things are pretty good to eat, almost sweet! I also got some seeds, an there is still a bunch of seeds inside them. Hopefully by drilling the things I haven't ruined them for birdhouse use. What do you think? And should I put them back in the shed to dry, or leave them outside, now that I have drilled them.

Ya I shall post Destiny's creations at some point wayyyyy in the future, as these things don't seem to be drying to fast on their own.

Hey havalotta, do you think it is a good practice to just saw some of next years gourds in half, scoop out the good stuff to eat, and then let the things dry? I was thinking that way, so I could clean out the gourd bird houses by using a little hinge & latch to secure the bottom back onto the top of the sawn gourd. I'm thinking I'd like to eat those things, before drying!!! Is that just non-sense or what?

Also havalotta, you made a nice written description, but a couple pixs of your recent/happy gourd creations would be most welcome!

Hey kchd, love my apple gourd experiments this year, tytytyty so much for the seed getting me started!

ww
Old 10-25-2014, 09:10 PM   #23
Heron

Hey ww, I am curious to know how your gourd drying goes. I picked up a speckled swan gourd last weekend. I will be saving seeds and will send you some to try next year.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:05 AM   #24
Fox

pawprint

Hey kchd, I have a news flash for ya! I spoke with 2 different 'decorated gourd vendors' at our local 'bean fest weekend' yesterday, and the proper way is to allow the vine & gourds to remain until completely 'died back'.

Which of course I did NOT do, because I got anxious to clean up that part of the garden. Arrrrrgh sometimes my impatience gets me in trouble.

And now it makes perfect sense to me, what the one experienced man said: ' when the vine dies back, the vine sucks the moisture out of the gourd ', therefore allowing 'the gourd to dry properly, ...the other vendor said 'leave them in the sun.'

Both of the vendors thought maybe less than 50%, as to drying success, with me already drilling the green gourds. Probably as they were never as careless as I was with their gourds as I have been. Oh well, there is always next year!

Ohhhhh swan gourds! That would make an interesting variety to try, yes please, may I have a few seeds (10 seeds). I don't remember seeing even 1 'swan gourd' at the fair yesterday. But I just looked them up on the internet, very interesting indeed! I wonder if those taste like duck! LOL, Those might make good duck decoys (wheels turning in my brain)!!! Yes please, I would love to give them a try.

Hey kchd, by the way, could you find for me, any of those big round gourds-seed? They are big & round as big as a basket ball they probably had a crook neck of some type that was cut away. Good for making large mixing bowls. I'm thinking the ones I grew this year might have made nice 'flower vases' as they resemble that shape. But right now mine are all dedicated to bird houses use, if they dry out proper. I have a big need for bird houses for next spring!

And how about this for a surprize: Yesterday I was at the festival and I saw a large 'basket ball size gourd/bowl- that was painted wonderfully' bring $100. Now our gourd vendors/artisians are pretty serious making things, not really bird houses so much, some make cut outs, some finish overcoat with shiny polyurethane, nearly all are painted/carved decorated in some unique fashion. Sorry I forgot to bring camera!

Yanno kchd, funny as it sounds as you infringed somewhat of the privet by your neighbor (looking for available sunshine space) I'm thinking that privet would serve as a good gourd support all by itself! ...gawwwwwwd I think next spring the sunny vacant lot next to me, might just be spawning some 'volunteer gourds' I'm thinking support may not be absolutely necessary, some of by best gourds this year were laying on the ground like a watermelon would grow. hahaha.

ww

p.s. if you need or want some american beauty berry seed, I have some! Hopefully the seed remains viable after drying out? If no one takes me up on my french mulberry seed offer, that vacant lot might get salted with that stuff too. Tis funny how birds & animals spread things like that.

p.p.s american beauty berry/delicata squash/other seed can be swapped by interested WG members, just join this conversation & ask/offer!
Old 10-26-2014, 08:28 AM   #25
WG Facilitator

Some of my gourd plants were in areas that needed to be cleaned. I knew the odds of them drying properly are much lower, but I brought them in out of the sun and rain. I brought the first one indoors, and it promptly grew black mold, so the others are in covered areas outside.

I never considered cutting them while the were still green. If the saws cut cleanly, without splitting them, I would hope that would help, with more of the gourd able to get air circulation. But it would make scrubbing them trickier, as it would be less stable with holes.

Let us know how they cure, please!

I have one round gourd and won't cut it open until it either dries or gets a bad spot. But I'd be happy to share seeds, if you don't get any offers of some properly dried (and fully ripe) seed.

I'd love to have a few beautyberry and delicata seeds.

And if there are any extra swan gourd seeds, I'd love a few of them too.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:07 AM   #26
Heron

Yep, I'll save seeds for you both! Good to know about drying, WW. I went looking for more info and found this very informative page. I see some new varieties that would like to try. [URL="https://www.seedman.com/Gourds.htm"[/URL]
Old 10-26-2014, 08:52 PM   #27
WG Facilitator

Thanks! Checking out your link now. . .
Old 10-27-2014, 02:58 AM   #28
Fox

pawprint Is this what ya call a 'flash mob seed swap'? LOL

Good to know, neat Seedman link kchd! Hey kchd save me a few of those swan seed, & I think I'm not going to go for a lot of varieties next spring, as I'm running out of room for gourds!

I guess I need to get to cleaning some of the mold off mine, as I believe I've grown the Lagenaria type gourd, possibly the Green Bell Hybrid ( Lagenaria siceraria ) and there is a long 'drying time' involved, according to Seedman's directions. None of mine were really 'apple shaped' mostly bottle shaped. I've moved mine out of the shed, and have them in a sunny very dry area now, that is slightly protected from rain also. I have 1 that must of been drying on the vine, as it is already nearly hardened off nicely, albeit kinda moldy looking, but the others have quite a way to go as the rind seems thick & still dripping wet. I'll keep youall posted, maybe take a few more pixs so you can see exactly 'WHAT NOT TO DO'. hahahaaha

Hey Biigblueyes, heck ya I'll send ya some American Beautyberry seed, delicata squash also, I have spicebush, black gum tree, red oak, white oak, florida dogwood seed coming in right now....sorry NO PawPaw this year, daRn it anyway... what ya got to trade me? I would be happy to get some butter beans, or jackson 21 purple hull peas, {chickasaw wild plum (should not be dried seed)} if you find any of those, although it is awfully late, probably too late in the year to be asking for those...but as they say: it never hurts to ask!

ww
Old 10-27-2014, 07:01 PM   #29
Heron

heck yes, I'm all about a flash mob seed swap! I have been collecting and saving seeds for others this year; trying to share the love. Been slow at it, though. Broke my arm a couple weeks ago "wrestling" with a 150 lbs pissedoff feral hog!
Old 10-27-2014, 08:46 PM   #30
WG Facilitator

I have striped cushaw, creole pumpkin and butternut. I didn't pick any Chickasaw plum, but the tree was full. I can check around the tree for fruit/seeds, if the squirrels left any. I have pink-eye purple hull. Will have Zinger Hibiscus/Roselle soon - the plants are loaded with pods.

Flash mob seed swap, eh? Count me in!

Tags
gardening, gourd drying, growing, seed swap, vertical