Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Landscape and Garden Design

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2014, 04:56 PM   #11
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Truly awesome, kchd! You will have quite,a,harvest.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:59 PM   #12
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by biigblueyes View Post
Wow - that looks great. How far apart are the ends of the panels at the bottom?

Did any of your veggies need support, or did they do fine without hammocks?

I just noticed the tepees in front. Are those pieces of cattle panel too?
Thanks! I put each end about 3 ft apart, which gave me a 7 ft high arch. So far, I have not used any veggie hammocks and the vines are supporting them just fine. Even the sweetmeat squash is holding its own, and it is like a small pumpkin.

Yes, the teepee in front is made of 2 sections of cattle panels. I had some pieces left over from another project and decided they would be perfect for cucumber vines. I can tell that the cattle panel projects are going to get out of control around here...
Old 07-08-2014, 06:02 PM   #13
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
Truly awesome, kchd! You will have quite,a,harvest.
Thanks! The harvest is already becoming "abundant" and I will have to start putting up squash soon. I've already pulled out my pressure canner.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:01 PM   #14
Fox

pawprint Delicata & apple gourd vines

...courtesy of kchd's fantastic seed! tytyty, my various vines are doing so well, and I'm quite proud of them.

I don't have the longlasting steel panels, I'm using scrap tree limbs (of which one has already snapped due to the weight of the plants), I just propped up the apple gourd today with a dead dogwood tree.

The delicata squash, politely shades my jalapenos, when the vines reach for the jalapenos...I tend them back and they don't seem try again, not yet at least...lol.Growing UP - vertical gardening-dsc02214.jpgGrowing UP - vertical gardening-dsc02215.jpg

The apple gourds reach for the tomatoes, but I have reinforced the structure, and was able to manage the vines off of the tomatoes.Growing UP - vertical gardening-dsc02216.jpg I'm patiently watching my first apple gourd, I've ever grown!~~~isn't it beautiful!Growing UP - vertical gardening-dsc02218.jpg

I'm thinking next year...these type vines are getting a tree to grow upon!

ww
Old 07-24-2014, 02:30 PM   #15
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Awe Just a weeeee babe still wrapped in its soft, soft blankeeee. Such pride.... W.W.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:13 PM   #16
Fox

pawprint I told the wee baby, this would hurt me, more than him...lol

Aye the newness of the 'wee baby' has worn off, and now the kid needs dicipline!...or so I have been told.

I coddled it and fed it, and gave it a safe place to be...now all he wants to do is reach out there and grab onto anyone walking by! My wife Destiny reminded me that we only set out 4 tomato plants this year, and haven't seen a ripe one yet~~~(which the applegourds are shading the tomatoes a little too much) which is womanspeak for: curb that crazy vine, or no ripe tomatoes for me!

But as the proud poppa...sure I clipped him back and off of my tomatoes today...but you ought to see the runners on the back side of this little monster! hahaha they are running thru the grass and are looking to overtake the first tree in site! (seriously these vines are way beyond 10' out of bounds)...which for me, means, I don't have to mow that area now, because the 'wee baby' wants to play there.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:46 PM   #17
Fox

pawprint delicata is done for this year, but the wee baby is just getting started

here is a pix of all the delicata squash I got this year...vine borers killed my vines just recently and so I feel lucky to get this many.Growing UP - vertical gardening-100_2188.jpg

This is pix of the 'wee baby' grabbing onto a suckering oak stump, the massive poke weed that normally commands this area shall have a run for his money in just another week!Growing UP - vertical gardening-100_2190.jpg Growing UP - vertical gardening-100_2189.jpg

I'm thinking these applegourds might best be trained along a fenceline, kina like a grapevine.

ww
Old 10-01-2014, 04:11 PM   #18
Fox

pawprint

What would 'growing-up-vertical gardening' be...if I didn't get to show off my apple gourds, now drying in the shed. I expect to make some nice birdhouses out of these guys once they become fully dried.Growing UP - vertical gardening-100_2217.jpg My wife Destiny will paint them with her funny little scenes...but I'm sure the birds next year will be bragging to the others...'oh look at the new house I got, tweet tweet'.

Hey kchd...I got a huge amount of seed from the delicata squash, maybe enough to fill a big sandwich bag!!!

This shot is some chili peppers we have drying at this time. Growing UP - vertical gardening-100_2218.jpgLOL once I got the delicata squash vines off of the pepper plants, the peppers began producing much better. But hey part of the point of growing vertical is to use the shade provided by the vines.

ww
Old 10-05-2014, 08:02 AM   #19
Fox

News flash to myself, lol, those gourds look real cool hanging there in the shed, too cool perhaps!

I had to stack them outside, as one of them began some surface mold, so hopefully these will dry better just leaving them outside.

ww
Old 10-05-2014, 09:31 PM   #20
Heron

ww, that is an AWESOME haul on the Apple Gourds! Very nice!

Tags
gardening, gourd drying, growing, seed swap, vertical