Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Landscape and Garden Design

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #1
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

gardening tool Hosta - floral bed

Previous to expanding an existing Hosta bed, one must take on the challenge of getting to know the height AND spread of each and every hosta that shall be set into place. Once you have done the research, it is now time to lay out your plants accordingly. It's a good idea to add a variety of plants between the hostas to provide rotating interest throughout the season.
Hosta - floral bed-dscf6363.jpg
Working with plants still in the pots...Set the shortest of the lot up front and work your way towards the back with the taller varieties.
Take note of color variations as you set them into position so like tones are well dispersed. A garden hose set around its perimeter temporarily marks it's outer edge.
Hosta - floral bed-dscf6360.jpg
A close up view of the original bed and the lush growth that will be divided and moved into the new area to unify.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:47 PM   #2

The sod edge has been cut and rolled over onto itself to smother it... A ring of flexible landscape edging is set into the trough.
Heavy cardboard and multiple layers of newspaper are set over the entire bed and covered with compost, soil and amendments hopefully deep enough to smother the existing sod.
Hosta - floral bed-dscf6484.jpg
Bricks set on top of the rolled up sod shall aid in smothering its edge. While awaiting for the sod to die, the plants in the existing bed to the right are dug, divided and planted into pots to get established and set into position between the hosta and heucherella.
Hosta - floral bed-dscf6731.jpg
In a little more than a month, the grass beneath is showing signs of death. Holes are now dug directly beneath each pot and the plants set into place. Bulbs (below the soil) are clearly marked to prevent disturbance. Spikes set around the perimeter provide a buffer zone against garden hose use.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

Hosta bed.... that's a LOT of sun for hostas. You should "convert" that nice chunk 'o prime real estate to a bed of native prairie plants.... and now.... I better run for cover from the hostaholic right now.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:17 PM   #4

I've hostas already growing in full sun in other areas of the yard.... If you make sure to meet their water requirements you can stretch their boundaries some. We'll see how the new ones will handle it. I've a few tricks up my sleeve as far as the sun goes...... You may not see them in the photos but I've included a few taller bushes and native hibiscus (that I had started from seed from BooBoo) across its center. A recently planted maple tree in the neighbors yard along with two very tall evergreens to the south will hopefully keep the sun from torching things as it moves across the bed....I've also a River birch ordered to plant come Spring.

If things appear to be getting too much sun, I've a pile of vintage wood fence I can put up temporarily until the bushes reach their full height.
I also have a big roll of chicken wire fencing I could temporarily run along the sunny side. If I go either route, I'll plant some sort of vines along their base to crawl up and soften the view to shade things more.

I'm not too, too concerned about the sun...I'm more worried about the DEER! The wrought iron ornaments you gave me will jazz things up until the natives incorporated into that bed fill in. I made sure to add the goods.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

Well.... there's no slowing down my dad's girlfriend.... she surprised me and planted new hostas in the space. Surprise surprise. I guess she didn't understand I didn't want anymore non-native anythings unless they could be eaten. If any of your new hostas torch.... there's plenty more here to replace what you lose on the north side of my house that I really want to turn into a fernery some day... soon as I've got time so.... don't buy any replacements if you have any problems. Maybe leaving big gaping holes in the ground will motivate me to replant with what I want.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #6

She didn't already find the space I had created from my hosta draw whilst there this fall....She couldn't have...They were already dormant.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

They had plenty of foliage on em to tell they were hostas but.... not enough to tell which variety she'd planted. I made the mistake of telling her some friends were digging em out because they loved them. She divided more of hers and planted em back during that nice Indian Summer we had. I got 1 plant in the ground over there and she "struck" again. I wasn't quick enough. I'm planning on trying blueberries over there.... maybe I should buy plants instead of starting some from seed so she can see I'm using the space? I know I'm gonna have to do that bed on the north of the house when I know she's up north visiting family for a month or so and.... I'll have to use mature ferns otherwise she'll divide her plants and stick em in MY ground. She's pushin' 80.... this can't go on forever. She did not plant back any hostas in the area by the big Hawthorn when I showed her they had reseeded into my wilds though.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:27 PM   #8

Ooooo she IS Quick!
Hosta - floral bed-dscf6366.jpg
I don't know if you can make them out or not but the teeny tiny things in the pots in the center are the hibiscus that will mature at 4-6 feet tall.
Hosta - floral bed-dscf7132.jpg
A dappled willow just under the apple bird house shall attain a height of nearly 15 feet which is WAY larger than I had thought it to grow!!!!!
The upcoming birch? Being the tallest of the whites may be planted to the right of the dappled willow, to the left, a couple of variegated euphorbias bring in the white tones needed to unify the bed. A small red maple planted just to the right of the plum SNAG shall provide even more shade.
Hosta - floral bed-dscf6729.jpg
This is another hosta-floral bed just outide my jungle-plant room. It is to the right of the one we are speaking about...It is even MORE southern but as you can see the hostas are doing ok under the existing evergreens and mixed plantings of perennials and bushes.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #9
Official Plant Nerd

Does this mean I should dance around spritzing RU so I can unload what I just got loaded up with on you>?
Old 01-14-2013, 05:42 PM   #10

No No never never na na na! Have enough! noooooo more.

Tags
bed, floral, hosta