Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Landscape and Garden Design

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #41
WG Fundraising Coordinator

The terraces are filling in, now we have rose verbena, prairie phlox, baptisia australis, Siberian iris 'Ruffled Velvet' and 'Winky' Rocky Mountain columbine blooming. The creeping phlox is about done. Wild quinine is forming buds as is the 'Teasing Georgia' rose. It's sort of an eclectic garden, half native half non-native ornamentals. I'm OK with that!

The grasses are filling in nicely, switchgrass starts out early while the little bluestem and prairie dropseed take much longer. I really intended this garden to be mostly grasses with a few forbs and I did add a lot of grasses. We'll see how this progresses. The blue-eyed grass really did great this year, it has matured and formed a big clump and is still pushing out blooms. It no longer gets lost in the garden. I found some growing in the front lawn under a big oak, so nice to see it growing on its own. Now I always look down when I mow to make sure I'm not cutting off plants I want to see flourish.

The smooth penstemon is really tall and healthy and setting flower buds. I planted a lot more of it last fall and this spring. I think the foliage looks great all year. I also planted a lot more Monarda, both fistulosa and didyma. I'll have to keep a watch on it in the terraces to make sure it doesn't take over but I'm sure it will hold its own in the pocket prairie bed.

I'm really glad I planted smooth aster last year, I know it won't bloom til fall but the bluish foliage is so nice, a break from all the green. I still can't say enough good things about baptisia, now I have three established specimens, one in the terraces and two in the prairie bed. I want to plant more legumes. I have some purple prairie clover that is so slow to establish but I want it to so badly. Next year maybe I'll add some lupine and see how it likes it here. It's a little hot and humid for it but it does grow here.
Attached Thumbnails
New terrace garden project-terraces.jpg   New terrace garden project-terraces2.jpg   New terrace garden project-winky-columbine-iris.jpg   New terrace garden project-baptisia.jpg  
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #42
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I love how much plants mature in a years time. Is that your Juliet balcony I see in the second photo? Looks like you're slowly loosing your visuals of that mighty fine area from above due to a tree and now a maturing bush....

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #43

Yes, once everything leafs, especially the Chinkapin oak, out my view from the balcony gets smaller but still nice! Here are some views from and toward the Juliet balcony today.

I had to stop and rest in the hammock, my back is killing me today, here is what you see whilst resting. Some big ol' Southern red oaks.
Attached Thumbnails
New terrace garden project-terraces-balcony.jpg   New terrace garden project-down-balcony.jpg   New terrace garden project-up-balcony.jpg   New terrace garden project-terraces-balcony.jpg   New terrace garden project-up-hammock.jpg  

Old 05-21-2013, 10:42 AM   #44

Niiice And I see you've also incorporated a fire escape. Smart plan!

Old 05-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #45

The fire escape is also known as "teenager sneaking back into the house in the middle of the night because all the other doors are locked" ladder.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #46

That's funny. It sure brings back memories of when we used to shimmy up the trellis to the entryway rooftop. Get a hold hold of the main roof above and hoist ourselves up onto that to skittle up the loose gravel of the shingles to the very top to balance toe to heel all the way over to the other end of the house where we'd GENTLY hop back down to the front porch entry roof to slide open the window and then on into the bedroom for the eve. I wonder if any of the neighbors ever saw us.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #47

It's a wonder nobody fell and broke their necks hava you daredevil you!

Well Leo climbed the vine-covered trellis to get to Claire didn't he? Ah, true love. ( I still think Leo could have done better though!)
Old 05-21-2013, 04:36 PM   #48

Tell me more about his Leo guy. A romance story?
I loved climbing all sorts of things... I think the most chancy thing I've climbed was when I used to climb to the very tips of the evergreens out back in search of the black bird nests to peek at their eggs and babies... I recall riding their tips swaying in the breeze. I'm really surprised one of those tips didn't snap under my weight sending me plummeting back to earth but being in the moment, being one with the wind and the trees like that was so comforting, so soothing. You don't think of the what if's. Well I sure didn't but I do NOW!

We'd climb onto the roof tops of all the churches and schools too. I really don't recall why. Maybe it was because us kids could be by ourselves or....Just because we could! No one reported you back then like they's do now days. Ahhhh the freedom we had....

Old 05-21-2013, 05:57 PM   #49

OMG, Leonardo DiCaprio, only the sexiest actor in the last 20 years!

He made a little movie called "Romeo and Juliet" with Claire Danes back in 1996.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #50

I must have missed that one. I love that guy. I just HAVE to go see the Great Gatsby. And here I was thinking when you stated Leo climbed the vine-covered trellis to get to Claire it had sounded a bit like Romeo and Juliet to me.
Quote:
OMG, Leonardo DiCaprio, only the sexiest actor in the last 20 years!
Oh ya! He reminds me of a young Jack Nicholson in a way.

Tags
garden, gardens, landscaping, native plants, planning, plants, project, projects, renovating, shade, shade garden, terrace, woodland garden