Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Landscape and Garden Design

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #31
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
You will dap, will all you are doing, especially your pond and stream project! I just want to raise my head up from all the work and really look around, take time to see what's working, and appreciate it. It makes me want to do more.
BRAVO! We should all learn how to...to take the time to.......... Lift our head up and enjoy the moments!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #32
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
You will dap, will all you are doing, especially your pond and stream project! I just want to raise my head up from all the work and really look around, take time to see what's working, and appreciate it. It makes me want to do more.

Thanks, linrose.

I think you are right about taking the time to see what is actually coming to the yard and what they are utilizing. All too often, I find that I am not taking the time to observe. I'm hoping that is the reason I've yet to see birds come regularly to the water's edge. Aside from the first week I filled the pond and a another time about a month or so later when I'd filled it, I've not seen any birds bathing or even drinking. I think that the sound of running water might be all I need to get the birds to come.

I have big dreams of a native meadow full of grasses and wildflowers--and the insects, birds, mammals, etc that will be drawn to it. The meadow, fruiting and nut-producing shrubs, and my maturing trees should all combine with the water and any wetland plants I add to ensure there will be a lot for me to see and photograph in the coming years. I guess I'm expecting a lot from the (relatively) little I've done to the property.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #33
WG Fundraising Coordinator

A noble goal dap, I love how you are enjoying your new pond. And your goals for the meadow inspire me! You are being quite modest in saying you've done little, I see a determined effort to improve what you already have and am very impressed. As for myself, I'm branching out into the field with new experiments just to see what happens! Replacing crabgrass and Johnson grass with natives makes me very happy. I've already scalped the ground and sprinkled some seeds I gathered from the prairie bed there, who knows??? It couldn't be worse!

As to the terraces, I feel it's been mostly a success so far. I've kept the weeds at bay and watched how each plant wants to grow. Many of them I've never grown before so it's a surprise! It's certainly a far cry from what used to grow there. The grasses look great and I am happy with the results. I'll wait until next year to decide which forbs play nice with the grasses to see what needs restraining and what needs more space. The shady area at the bottom of the terraces needs attention as the dreaded Japanese stilt grass has invaded big time. That seems to be my biggest chore right now, pulling it out of the woods and every shaded area we have.
Attached Thumbnails
New terrace garden project-terraces.jpg   New terrace garden project-terraces2.jpg   New terrace garden project-coreopsis-terraces.jpg   New terrace garden project-verbena-terraces.jpg  
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #34

Quote:
A noble goal dap, I love how you are enjoying your new pond. And your goals for the meadow inspire me! You are being quite modest in saying you've done little, I see a determined effort to improve what you already have and am very impressed.
Thanks, linrose.

Your posts here (and in other threads) are have made me really want to pursue my meadow project--so, *you* are inspiring me!

Maybe I have done more than I realize, but it seems to me that most things are LOST in the expanse. Perhaps as the trees and shrubs begin to grow in, I'll be able to see what I have already achieved.

Even if I finished the water feature, I'd continue to look out at the meadow in its current state: a majority of European grasses, too many weeds, and way too many seriously invasive plants taking over...all sprinkled with the natives I've added and the few that show up on their own. If I could have huge expanses of a truly native meadow/eastern prairie, then I could be more patient with my other areas that need attention.

I guess I will just have to remember that things take time, and the things I've done the first few years will come to fruition as they mature.

I'm excited about your projects and that you've gone beyond your terrace project and improving your fields! You will soon have a meadow of your own.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 11-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #35
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
All too often, I find that I am not taking the time to observe. I'm hoping that is the reason I've yet to see birds come regularly to the water's edge. Aside from the first week I filled the pond and a another time about a month or so later when I'd filled it, I've not seen any birds bathing or even drinking. I think that the sound of running water might be all I need to get the birds to come.
Being too busy is the reason why we miss such moments. Just the other day right before shutting down the waterfall I actually had the time to admire the projects I had competed over the summer. While over coffee, under a warm blacket, from my window I saw quite few birds drinking from the fountain rather than the pond itself like they used to do.

Having a shallow wading area seems the hot ticket!!!!
I'm already missing its flow and use but I had to pull the pumps before it freezes solid.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post

Having a shallow wading area seems the hot ticket!!!!
Smile. Thanks, havalotta, I do have a shallow wading area...I planned it from the beginning. Unfortunately, I don't really see it being used.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:09 AM   #37

I don't have a pond, yet, but I have two large saucers I keep filled with water for the birds. It hasn't rained in a really long time so they are thirsty. Early this morning a large flock of robins came through and drank up every drop! My usual chickadees and titmice were a little ticked off but they came to the feeders anyway. The goldfinches are back after a brief respite, I wonder where they went? They are in their fall plumage and sometimes blend in with other birds now that their yellow is a dull olive. I've been trying to convince DH that we need a patio with a pond in the backyard. He's been hemming and hawing about it because it will require a lot of digging and our backs aren't what they used to be. Our neighbor has a Bobcat however (yay for neighbors with power equipment!) so I might ask her a favor if I pass on some plants, and probably have to bring back her trashbin (she lives half a mile from pickup), cook her some meals, get her mail, etc., etc. Our other neighbor has a backhoe, I'm seeing favors for years to come!
Old 11-04-2012, 11:44 AM   #38

Linrose, do I see a new thread in the making? I'm looking forward to "The New Pond Project".

You also have me thinking that I should be on the lookout for goldfinches in their winter plumage.

Good luck with your neighbors...don't promise them too much or you won't have time to enjoy the pond!
Old 11-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #39
Official Plant Nerd

linrose> I'm loving that 1st photo in post #33!!! I think I like the rustic looking fence in there. I know it hasn't been there forever but... it looks like it has. It adds some "bones". The visual of that area does it for me!!!
Old 04-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #40

New view of the terraces, more to come.
Attached Thumbnails
New terrace garden project-terraces-april-13.jpg  

Tags
garden, gardens, landscaping, native plants, planning, plants, project, projects, renovating, shade, shade garden, terrace, woodland garden