Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Landscape and Garden Design

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 05:38 PM   #11
Offical Silphium Abuser

Linrose, like you and your garden, I'm in transition, but "Teasing Georgia" is GORGEOUS! (I still have a David Austin "Heritage" along the fence and a "Madame Isaac Periere" that's been with me at three houses, so I understand the rose attachment.)

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:22 PM   #12
WG Facilitator

Just because you have a new direction doesn't mean you have to get rid of your favorites. I'm sure you'll find s lovely native that sets off your favorite rose or lily.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:23 AM   #13
Rock Star

Linrose, your garden bones are wonderful so the changes will be grand.
The tier layout adds a lot of depth and interest to the overall plan.
It will be interesting to see what you keep and how the 2 garden styles blend.
Blending the traditional and native plant garden will be a good teaching
tool to show others how to incorporate natives in the garden.

I always think that the journey is as important as the destination.
Right now I'm trying to move towards more shrubs and small trees so the garden is easier to care for.

Havalotta, good luck on the garden tour.
I know how difficult it is to sit on your hands and not revamp whole areas.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:06 AM   #14
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Thanks Will-o

Not able to move perennials that should be moved due to crowding, (I think I'll give them away) putting some 20 pepper plants temporarily into pots which will need daily watering just so they'll "look good" (instead of the ugly large tubs), delaying the pulling back of the underground sprinkler system, brick moving, gravel tossing, rock throwing, landscape fabric removal from the area the city crew will be working in next Spring to add a larger drainage system and worst of all..........limiting my buying at the upcoming plant sale. Yup, you described my situation pretty accurate.... Sitting on my hands.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #15
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Thanks for the encouragement biigblueyes and will-o on keeping a few old favorites. Teasing Georgia and Black Beauty lilies will stay. I dug up a clematis 'Harlow Carr' that I'm fond of also but will be moving it over to climb on a huge Darlow's Enigma rose I have on the other side of the backyard. After being used to keeping 20 to 30 roses I'm now down to just a handful. Lilies and clematis became new obsessions after the roses but like you will-o I'm getting tired of heavy maintenance and shrubs and small trees really save on the maintenance involved in keeping a perennial garden.

Both the rose and the lilies are maintenance free, I garden organically and never spray anything. If it can't take those conditions they get shovel pruned. I think I'm going to like the combination of the wispy grasses with the roses texturally, the baptisia looks great with them too and I think the color palette I've chosen will complement the rose and the lilies. White and pink phlox, blue salvia, pink liatris, purple coneflower and bergamot I think will all work together harmoniously. Most of these plants are used in traditional gardens anyway so they don't really look "wild" if that's the right term for it. Really I'm just getting rid of some of the dogs and thugs like non-native salvias and daylilies which didn't do it for me anyway. All the bad doers are gone - so many roses I tried and they just didn't thrive. So now I get to have the best of both worlds I suppose, the pollinators will love it and so will I.

hava - I don't know if I could have the dicipline to hold back at a plant sale. You are a better man than I Charlie Brown! Well, at least you'll get to play in your garden later in the summer and fall which I'm sure is glorious in your neck of the woods.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
hava - I don't know if I could have the dicipline to hold back at a plant sale. You are a better man than I Charlie Brown! Well, at least you'll get to play in your garden later in the summer and fall which I'm sure is glorious in your neck of the woods.
I'll buy a few, but their planting will have to be held off for the time being.
I'm in search of a few more ferns and colorful ground covers....Heuchera, Tiarellas, coral bells, Mitella (Good luck on finding that one)

A better man than you ha? Hey dude. You know I'm a babe don't you?
Wish I did live in the glorious woods but I'll be the one a-leaning upon the shovel handle looking NOT so glorious dripping sweat after pitching rocks, bricks and gravel around in a hundred degree weather!

Old 05-22-2012, 09:46 AM   #17
Rock Star

havalotta,If you want Mitella diphylla (Twoleaf Miterwort ) it is available at Toadshade Wildflower Farm Toadshade Wildflower Farm mail-order.
I got quite a few plants from them including a Mitella.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #18
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Of course I know you're not a dude, I'm just remembering an old expression!

Oh yes, I'm crazy about Heucheras and Tiarellas, they ask so little and provide such an impact. Tiarella cordifolia will run and form a nice dense mat after awhile. There are so many new varieties out there, I grow 'Stargazer Mercury' under a dogwood and it does very well. I have a few heucheras, the species that do the best for me in our climate are H. americana and H. villosa, a more southern species that can handle our hot humid summers. Forget about H. sanguinea, they may be pretty but are a southwestern species that never survive long in the east. I have 'Frosted Violet' which is a H. villosa that does very well for me. Another good one for me is 'Amethyst Mist'. 'Dales Strain' is a very strong and long-lived H. americana.

I'm intrigued by the miterwort, and Toadshade Wildflower Farm is right across the bridge from Erwinna so when we visit our relatives we can hop right on over there. That area of the world seems to have its share of native plant nurseries you lucky dogs who live nearby!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:23 AM   #19

Thanks will-o
I like browsing with item in hand so I'll have them send me a catalog.

I figured you already knew Linrose.
I guess I was feeling like pulling your chain a little at the time.
The Stargazer Mercury looks a bit like the iron butterfly I have. I love it!

So far I've the Key lime, peach flamb'e, iron butterfly, purple palace, strike it rich, green spice and the red blooming coral bells. All are doing well but the Peach flamb'e. It seems to be struggling a bit so I removed a few bulbs that were encroaching upon it to see if that gives it a boost.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:34 AM   #20
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-o-wisp View Post
havalotta,If you want Mitella diphylla (Twoleaf Miterwort ) it is available at Toadshade Wildflower Farm Toadshade Wildflower Farm mail-order.
I got quite a few plants from them including a Mitella.
Uh-oh.... another good mail order native plant nursery?

I've got to stop!
BeeWonderful is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garden, gardens, landscaping, native plants, planning, plants, project, projects, renovating, shade, shade garden, terrace, woodland garden