Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Invasive Species > Invasive & Potentially Invasive Flora

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #11
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Thanks for the link, linrose...and for the advice rockerBOO.

I agree that I didn't go wide enough, but I thought I went a lot deeper this year than last. I was trying to do it just under the soil level, and then cover it with mulch to hide the disfigurement. Maybe I'll just have to suck it up and do it the right way.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
If anything shoots up from below your hack job keep clipping it off. With no photosynthesis going on, it should eventually peter out.
I can't wait until I get to that point!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 06-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #13
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I think my hazelnut is finally on it's last leg. I Hate suckers! There's hardly a thing sprouting from it's half girdled base.
It now stands as a snag!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #14

Quote:
I think my hazelnut is finally on it's last leg. I Hate suckers!
Are you wasting a hazelnut!? I understand not liking suckering things in the wrong place, but do you have a spot for them to grow freely? In a back corner of the yard? In a hedgerow?

Time will tell if I placed my suckering shrubs in the right place or not--at least they are far from the house.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #15

YUP, I just did!
It never produced a THING but suckers alongside my pond, crowding the narrow path I trod around it.
It was suppose to be I think, a Henry walkers stick but it died and its grafted root stock shot up instead. Had it produced, I probably would have kept up in the trimming of its suckers. It didn't..... so the sucker got the boot! I suppose it needed another nearby.

I did think about moving it but pulling it out with a chain might have lifted roots damaging the pond liner in the process.
It's left for use...The birds rest in it still.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:55 AM   #16

From what I've read, hazelnuts need to cross pollinate with other hazelnuts for nut production.

I have to wonder, if it came up from below a graft, if it was a native hazelnut...I'm sure it could've been, but I have to wonder if they are abundant enough to be used as root stock for grafting.

Had you intended to plant hazelnuts, I'm sure you would've picked a place that would have taken into account the suckering. I'm really hoping I've chosen my placements wisely.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #17

Now that I know one of the Cherry bushes I just purchased suckers, it shall be put towards the back of the bed.
I wish people would tell you these things when you buy them!

Old 06-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Now that I know one of the Cherry bushes I just purchased suckers, it shall be put towards the back of the bed.
I wish people would tell you these things when you buy them!
Depending on where you buy things and who you talk to, it is likely the person may not have even known. I'm glad you did your research, and I hope you it like where you put it.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #19
Official Plant Nerd

I've got 1 for jack too. Last year sometime or maybe it was the year before.... he told me to try malabar spinach. I bought some seed and planted it early last summer after the last frost. Nothing.... absolutely nothing came up. I had left over seed so I soaked it over night like instructed to do and planted it again in early June of this year.... only I put stakes in the ground as I planted each seed since they need support and I didn't want to have to walk through my produce adding stakes later on. I think I know what happened to last year's malabar spinach. I'm pretty sure I didn't recognize the seedlings for what they were and hand weeded them out.... what a ding dong I was. I was looking at the base of the stakes I'd put in and couldn't help but notice a few sprouts that didn't look like anything I'd ever seen before coming out of the ground and no way no how was I going to let weeds compete with my malabar spinach. I was about ready to yank them out when I realised they were growing in a distinct pattern at the base of my stakes. Oopsie.... history almost repeated itself again. I'm really looking forward to juicing malabar spinach and eating it fresh!!!
Old 06-11-2019, 06:32 PM   #20

Default Update

I have been meaning to return to this post for a while--scanning the thread, it looks like I never posted pics of the Japanese maple looking mighty odd-looking tree (I had tried girdling it twice). Maybe I never posted the bare branches with sparse leaves...or I posted them elsewhere.

This spring, in a storm, part of the (former) Japanese maple (now a snag), broke off. I took pictures, but still did not post.

Last year, I added two Nyssa sylvatica (black gum), and (at some point before or after that) a small flowering dogwood. Since its demise, the birds have planted their own favorites while perched on the dead branches. I now have two alternate-leaf dogwoods growing there as well as some choke cherry and seedling ash. It has become a bit crowded--or it will when they all grow in. I know I should thin it, but, except for the ah trees, i think I will let it grow into it's own dense thicket.

Here are some pictures (the one taken with the digital camera is the best quality).
For Jack :)-psx_20190611_094332.jpg

For Jack :)-20190611_192650.jpg

For Jack :)-20190611_192718.jpg

Oh...and I am seeing sumac, too.

Tags
jack