Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Invasive Species > Invasive & Potentially Invasive Flora

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
Grub

Default If you can't beat em - then eat em!

Any site steward that is plagued with autumn olive...
I have a way to strike back in addition to the usual manner of slash, burn and herbicide...

eat thier young!

Autumn Olive berries are ripe now....so go pick them and make jelly.

This recipe was passed to me a while back and this year I made Autumn Olive Jelly.

It is actually quite good though has a rather "odd" texture. It tastes (to me) like cranberry. I will have to work on the texture a bit next year. Everyone that tried it said it was actually quite good.

AUTUMN OLIVE JELLY:
Approx 1 1/2 gallon ripe berries
9 cups of sugar
1 package of “Sure Gel”
Wash berries, place in pot adding about 2 cups water cook down for about 20 minutes stirring and mashing with potato masher. Strain and strain again Through cheese cloth. It is ok to have a little pulp.
Strain out 7 cups juice and place in pot with sure gel. Pre measure out the 9 cups sugar and set aside.
Heat the 7 cups juice till it comes to a boil that you can't stir down- then add sugar while stirring constantly. Cook till it comes to full rolling boil again and let boil stirring the whole time for 1 minute.
Remove from stove and pour into hot and sterilized jelly jars - have your lids also hot and ready to go.
Process filled jelly cars in a water bath for 4 minutes
According to the person who developed this recipe, Autumn Olive Jelly has a very pretty almost cranberry color and reminds them a bit of crab apple jelly because it is sweet and tart at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails
If you can't beat em - then eat em!-img_2367.jpg   If you can't beat em - then eat em!-img_2368.jpg  
schphgochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
Grub

I do not know what olive berries are ..I grew olives when I lived in Arizona but am not sure you could make a jam out of the unripe olives>>> Buit I understand the premise...I am like that with my neighbors bamboo ..I found the BEST way to control it is to harvest the shoots and make stir fry!!! I eat them as fast as they come up ..it slows it down if i am always picking!
Heidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:42 AM   #3
Grub

Autumn Olive is not really an olive plant....it produces red berries that birds eat and then poop out all over the place...
but it never produces olives.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:27 AM   #4
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

We were just talking about them being all over up here in Michigan in the berries from the wild thread.
If you can't beat em - then eat em!-dscf0223.jpg
Here's a photo of one of the bushes full of ripe berries..

Do these appear to be the same kind as the ones you are using in your jelly?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:31 AM   #5
Grub

yep...that's them...they are small....so it takes awhile to pick any quantity...
but..I think they are worth it..
they taste good (imho) AND you are removing that much future seed from the "future" seedbank...

Old 09-22-2010, 08:17 AM   #6

I've never heard of those being edible...but I'd try it if I had a jar in hand.
I'm not much of a P.B. and jelly eater and only do up jelly every 5 years or so.
Any pie, or wine recipes for them?
You'd think someone up here would have tried making wine out of them.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:57 AM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

"Any site steward that is plagued with autumn olive..." This recipe should be passed around far and wide. Did you home make your labels too? Question for you.... what do you call that strainer thing hovering over the pot on a tripod type base in your 1st photo?
Old 09-23-2010, 04:15 AM   #8
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
"Any site steward that is plagued with autumn olive..." This recipe should be passed around far and wide. Did you home make your labels too? Question for you.... what do you call that strainer thing hovering over the pot on a tripod type base in your 1st photo?
Hopefully my posting this here will spread the news far and wide..

Yes...I did make my own labels...lol...I love doing that.

and...

The tool in question is a really old fashioned food mill that one of our volunteers gave me. He was going through a divorce and was trying to find homes for tons of stuff...since he knew I did canning, he gave the food mill to me ..
it is GREAT!!
it is called a chinois food mill...

You might be able to find a used one at a garage sale or on e-bay..
but they are still available here:

Chinois Food Mill With Wooden Pusher

I tell you....that thing works GREAT!
According to the recipe....1 1/2 gallons of the berries will yeild about 7 cups of pulp/liquid..
I used the chinois food mill and got 6 cups of pulp/liquied from only about 3 quarts of berries.

Hope that helps...

How is your adventures in canning/preserving going?
Old 09-23-2010, 08:52 AM   #9

The Chinois (I never knew it was called that) My pointy strainer is used quite often....
I use it to make apple sauce... Cook apples with skins on...glop into the strainer, give it a few whirls with the funnel shaped mallet. Done

Tomatoes same way, slice, cook, mash into tomato juice..
Skins stay in the strainer, juice flows into the bowl..
Mash berries, cooked pumpkins, potatoes, whatever...It's a must have!

I found a recipe for Freezing nectarines...Easy peasy
Slice, swirl some lemon juice over them (prevents browning) make a weak sugar water or use any kind of juice to cover them
(prevents frost damage) and freeze in a Tupperware box or zip lock.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:39 PM   #10
Official Plant Nerd

"Hopefully my posting this here will spread the news far and wide.." printed off 200 and left out for a bunch of weed scientists!!! I done good!!! Only about 20 left out of the whole stack and.... I saw one woman scarf up about 20 so she's obviously gonna pass them out. About that strainer thingie.... I've got the top thing that I've been using to separate chaffe from seed. I bought it at a garage sale for $4 and it works great for small seed like chelone. I had no idea what it really was until I saw your photo. I found them on eBay cheap now that I know what to search for. New ones are $39 to $49 and then you have to add shipping and handling.

Tags
autumn olive, autumn olive jelly, beat, berries, chinois, eat, food mill, food strainer, invasive, jelly recipe, strainer