Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Invasive Species > Invasive & Potentially Invasive Flora

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2010, 08:56 AM   #1
WG Writer

leaf01 Native alternative to invasive exotic Asian honeysuckle

The worst invasive I have is Asian wisteria. It suckers, sends out underground runners 50 ft in all directions and takes over all unpaved land.

There is a native wisteria -- Im not sure of its distribution.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:01 AM   #2
WG Writer

Look Good, Smell Better, Act Bad (Chinese Wisteria, Wisteria sinensis)

Here is a discussion with photos.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:14 PM   #3
Salamander

What I have here is White Honeysuckle, Lonicera albiflora. It blooms in the springtime, gorgeous when blooming! There is also Texas Wisteria, Wisteria frutescens, which I would love to have someday!
Attached Thumbnails
Native alternative to invasive exotic Asian honeysuckle-texas-honeysuckle2.jpg  
ButterflyLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:49 PM   #4
WG Writer

Thanks for your response--I haven't heard of Texas wisteria. Ill check and see if it grows in this zone.

I don't know how this post became a separate thread. I was just entering a post to a thread about native alternative to invasives.

And Ive never heard of Asian honeysuckle--so Im not sure what this thread is about.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:43 PM   #5
WG Facilitator

I know - this is an invasive computer thread! It took on a life of its own.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:54 AM   #6
WG Fundraising Coordinator

I think you're supposed to be over in my original post on Native Alternatives to Invasive Plants? I am trying to compile a comprehensive list. I think there is some confusion over where to post. I started in Native Plants instead of Invasive Flora and maybe that's why.

Anyway, I found you and will be checking in the Invasive Flora forum too for suggestions.

American wisteria (W. frutescens) or Kentucky wisteria (W. macrostachya) are both suggested sometimes for both Japanese and Chinese wisteria. Kentucky wisteria is just a tad smaller at 15 to 25', American growing from 20 to 30'. The PLANTS database is down this morning so I don't know exactly the range of both. I don't think I'd want to plant either of them though, even 15 feet is pretty huge.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:51 AM   #7
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

There was a wisteria planted next to my deck that was planted by a previous owner. It was only about 4 ft tall--after trimming the non-woody (or should I say not-yet-woody) tendrils that had grown all through a small "privacy fence" for lack of a better word. I dug it out and put it in a pot, thinking I may try to turn it into a bonsai if it survived. I doubt I'll do that though.

I'm lucky it was not more difficult to take out--luckily I got it while it was still young. The tag was still attached to the trunk, but I'd say it was in the ground at least three years or so--just ready to leap!

I can't imagine trying to keep it pruned right there by the deck...and seeing it spread into the woods would have been heartbreaking. I'm so glad I got it out without much trouble.
dapjwy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:55 AM   #8
WG Writer

The main problem with Asian wisteria is the runners. New plants can pop up anywhere. It grows like Kudzu--it is a legume similar to Kudzu. The runners are rope like tendrils that wrap around your ankles and trip you up if you try to walk through it.
It is really a terrible plant and should be banned.

I did have a goat who was eating it: white goat + purple wisteria pannicles, but it have her terrible diarrhea.

Tags
alternative, asian, exotic, honeysuckle, invasive, native