Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Invasive Species > Invasive & Potentially Invasive Flora

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2010, 12:43 AM   #11
Official Plant Nerd

turttle!!! If you can afford it buy it or try to find it used at someplace like Craigslist. Your knees will thank you so will your back... you'll end up being a rockin momma. I've been off traisping around and one of the places we went was way up to the WI State Fair. I took a photo of tools for us. There was a whole display on tools for people with arthritis. Bug me about it because I know I picked up the list of what they were and where you could pick em up. There were two that I sorta lusted for. I have to tell you you're doing your body a favor by gardening even if you have to use specially designed tools. My first rheumatologist that I started seeing in my 20's sent me off to a dietician to clean up my act then told me to use it or lose it. He retired and I was lucky to find a new one I love too and I'm pretty sure he's got pamphlets on all kinds of tools to take the stress off our joints so if you want I can pick a few up next time I see him and drop them in the mail for you. Ya, a portable ac unit would be nice.... so would the money to pay the electric bill for cooling the outside. Didn't your parents ever yell at you to shut the door so you weren't heating the outdoors? Tee he!
Old 08-12-2010, 09:08 AM   #12
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

I found the vertex rocker on amazon, but they want $25 shipping charge so I am going to try Target here in town. When the shipping is as much as the item, there is a problem.

It says there is a problem with using it if the ground isn't flat. Most of my property is sloped at least a little, some of it very sloped. Have you had any trouble balancing on it?

If you have a particularly good catalog or website for folks with arthritis for outdoor tools/gear or general, I'd love to see it. It is very annoying not to be able to do stuff because my body betrays me, and if there are adaptive gadgets, so much the better. Thanks for the ideas.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:12 PM   #13
WG Operations, Facilitator

gardening tool

turttle,
I have found that Radius Garden Ergonomic Hand Tools are really great for people like me who have problems grasping.

Their slogan is "garden more, hurt less."

The Radius ergonomic garden tools are a little higher priced than some of the cheaper made garden tools, but worth every penny to me. They are very well made, the handles are cushy and I get the leverage I need from them to dig into the soil without pain.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:54 PM   #14
Grub

nearly 2 probably 3 yrs ago, when i was still in North Carolina and working as a gardener at a hotel there I was given one of those rocker stool things by the owners wife when i was working on her yard. I didnt like it so much, but then again i am young and dont mind getting down on the ground. It was just an awkward position for me to be in. But I hope it works for the rest of you!

Last edited by CitraBenzoet; 08-12-2010 at 10:55 PM. Reason: bad wordage
CitraBenzoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:36 AM   #15
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

CitraBenzoet - Yes, I was young once, too... Actually, I'm not that old, but' I have real problems getting up and down off the ground. Im not sure if I'd be better off with one of the vertex rockers or a kneeling stool, there are pros and cons of each. I want to try it in person and see.

BooBooBecky - Thanks for the link. I don't mind paying more for tools that work well. I am going to look through the site and see if they have some magic tool for pulling weeds without stooping over that gets the roots, eliminates the seeds it has already scattered and plants your new plant, all at once. Just kidding, but wouldn't that be nice?

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:47 PM   #16
Official Plant Nerd

"I have real problems getting up and down off the ground."..... you haven't arrived if you haven't had to get out of bed on all 4s yet!!! Ha!!! I have a problem using it if the ground IS flat so I don't know what they're talking about. I sometimes use it inside. I've been using it to clean the spindles on a stair case and my floors are hardwood so I've kissed the floor a few times when it popped out from under me. Surprise surprise!!! It literally popped right out from under my rear. In the grass it doesn't rock as much and I've got some gentle slopes and it didn't pop out from under me. I don't think it's higher than 14" or so from the ground so if you do go over.... you're not going far. My girlfriend has all the latest and greatest and she bought one of the ones that looks like it has a tractor seat on it. This one's close to what she has if not the same thing, The Garden Caddy From Garden Winds Garden Winds. They're calling it the garden seat caddy. I sat on it. I'd tell you it's a good alternative to the cheap one but it isn't. Im not buying one because it rolled on me. The cheaper one pretty much stays put once your fanny is on it other than if you want to swivel or rock forward to reach something better. I stuck the photo from the WI State Fair in a different thread if you're interested, Arthritis Accessible Gardening Tools.

Tags
burn, burn seeds, compost, compost weeds, destory seeds, destroy, fire, garden rocker, garden tools, invasive plants, invasive seeds, rocker, seeds, vortex, weed, weed seed, weed seeds, weeds