Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Invasive Species > Invasive & Potentially Invasive Flora

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
WG Staff

Default FL- Air potato taking the wind out of local ecology

Air potato taking the wind out of local ecology
By Indya Martin For Highlands Today
Published: November 18, 2009

Air potato taking the wind out of local ecology
excerpt from above:
Quote:
Burgess will get permission for volunteers to pull up the vines and pick up the air potatoes.

"All it will really cost you is some of your time and labor," she added.
The air potato has no natural enemies, and nothing can eat it.

This poses a threat to animals because it is killing off the plants they eat, Burgess said.

"It is a food-chain thing," Burgess said. "If there is nothing at the bottom of the food chain, everything will eventually be affected."
Old 12-09-2009, 08:37 PM   #2
Fox

Default Neighborhood Group idea

Quote:
The Highlands Soil and Water Conservation District will have the third of four free workshops on Florida's invasive and exotic plants and animals from 1-3 p.m. Friday, Nov. 20 at the Bert J. Harris Jr. Agriculture Center. The last workshop will be Dec. 18 at 1 p.m.
The workshops are leading up to air potato exchange day on Jan. 9.
Every person who brings in one bag or more of air potatoes will receive one free native plant.
Those who have questions about the workshops or are interested in starting or joining a neighborhood group to fight invasive exotic species should call 402-6545 or e-mail cburgess@hcbcc.org
I like the idea of having a neighborhood group to work on invasive control. But I can't find enough time to eradicate my own invasives, so I have to keep resisting the impluse to get involved with others.

The concept of "air potato exchange" is imaginative. How about a Japanese honeysuckle exchange?
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:55 PM   #3
Fox

Quote:
I like the idea of having a neighborhood group to work on invasive control. But I can't find enough time to eradicate my own invasives, so I have to keep resisting the impluse to get involved with others.
I like this idea too. It's an activity that a lot of civic minded groups groups could do. It helps get rid of invasives and encourages the use of natives at the same time.

But it's greatest appeal to me is that it's a great way of educating. It makes the point that invasives are harming the environment and need to be removed, and that native are good for the environment. By it's nature it focuses on a locally troublesome invasive. People will become aware of a locally harmful plant even if they aren't involved because a civic minded organization is allocating resources to remove it.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:13 PM   #4
WG Facilitator

I like the plant exchange.

Invasive or not, I miss the large masses of fragrant honeysuckle from when I was a kid. I wouldn't stop it if it took over my tree line, it smells so heavenly. But it seems like everytime I spray the poison ivy that's taking over, I get the only healthy plant of honeysuckle too.

pout.

Tags
air, ecology, local, potato, taking, wind