Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Invasive Species > Invasive & Potentially Invasive Flora

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2009, 10:13 PM   #1
WG Staff

Default NJ- Have quad, will travel--Feds and Union County take on Japanese Knotweed

Have quad, will travel--Feds and Union County take on Japanese Knotweed
By Ellen Dooley
September 16, 2009, 5:12PM

Have quad, will travel--Feds and Union County take on Japanese Knotweed | Suburban News -
excerpt from above:
Quote:
ERIC SCHRADING, an assistant supervisor with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, sprays herbicide on an outcropping of Japanese Knotweed in Union County's Lenape Park. Not only do invasive species like Japanese Knotweed crowd out native plant species, but the monoculture that results reduces the diver-sity of wildlife that depend on the variety of other species of plant life to survive. Spraying by the fish and wildlife service has reduced Japanese Knotweed in the targeted area of Lenape Park by nearly 70 percent.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:31 PM   #2
Heron

Look at the photo that accompanies the article.

Can you say "Overspray?" LOL!
Old 10-22-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
WG Facilitator

They've reduced the problem by 70%, but it will still take 3 hours on a 4-wheeler to spray ONE species in one state park. I'm glad they're doing something about it. I know how bad it is here with the aquatic invasive species. I'm sure every place's "plague" is just as bad.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:20 PM   #4
Fox

Quote:
But after years of combating Japanese Knotweed and several other invasive plant species spreading throughout Lenape Park, he knows this war will never end. With his help, the county has gained the upper hand, but this is one war that will never be totally won, he said.
The sad part is, for me, that after I do manage to clear something from my property I know that when I sell and move on, the invasive will most likely return. I will have won the battle, but certainly not the war.
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:14 PM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

Don't give up benj1. You never know... somebody like me might buy your place some day. I would have given my right arm to have had land in the shape yours is in rather than what I ended up with. You bet I'll be taking a close look at what's planted where I move next time.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:02 AM   #6
Mentor

I would agree. 1) The property could be purchased by someone else who is knowledgable. More and more volunteers are being used to fight invasive species which is leading to a larger body of awareness. The number of books, news headlines, and so on are surely also raising some awareness. 2) Your native plants can serve as seed stock that might end up in others yards when they say how pretty it is (directly through seed/plant sharing) or indirectly (when your seeds are carried into their yards).

I try to volunteer to remove invasives from public land every year, which is something anyone can do even if they only have a postage stamp sized yard with no invasives left to fight. I'll be removing bush honeysucke later this month. I'd also like to get a movement underway to remove invasive mammals from public land.
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:17 AM   #7
WG Facilitator

Have you checked with your state's wildlife and fisheries department? They may already have something like that, or may be oh-so-thrilled to start one up for you. Ask for one of their biologists to give you a call.

Tags
county, japanese, knotweed, polygonum cuspidatum, quad, travelfeds, union