Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Invasive Species > Invasive & Potentially Invasive Flora

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2009, 07:14 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Bad Boys Bad Boys... whatch gonna do when they come for you...

Burning bushes that is. Looks like my state may finally get around to banning the sale, propagation, and transportation of these invasive bad boys flanking doors and used at driveway entrances in oh... 1 out of every 2 homes it seems. These burning bushes light up the woodlands at this time of year. Good!!! Makes em easier to rip out of the ground. They can't run when they're aglow...
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Boys Bad Boys... whatch gonna do when they come for you...-burning-bushes.jpg  
Old 10-16-2009, 07:36 PM   #2
Too Wild To Garden

That's wonderful about Illinois banning burning bush! Both myself and a neighbor have large burning bushes planted by previous owners that we are chomping at the bit to be rid of. Just as soon as I have the time and the budget. . .
Stoloniferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

Most of the plants on your list of prohibited plants are supposed to be on our list... whenever we stop dilly dallying and do something, MDAR - Division of Crop Inspectional Services and Pest Management - Prohibited Plants List At least your State has something on the books banning this beast already. MA is progressive like WI.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:09 PM   #4
Unicellular Fungi

They certainly are very popular. They certainly are sprouting up far from the parent plants in natural areas.

Invasipedia has an informative entry for this species-
Invasipedia - BugwoodWiki
Euonymus alatus - BugwoodWiki
Old 10-18-2009, 02:23 PM   #5
WG Staff

This is somewhat funny:
Good Bye and Good Riddance
excerpt from above:
Quote:
"But, but..." one friend sputtered when I told her of the law, "they're pretty, and even I can grow them." True enough, perhaps, but they are (in some places) taking over the woods of northern New England.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:29 PM   #6
Heron

deer

The only problem I have with the article is it's contention that it's difficult to tell Red and Sugar maples apart...it really isn't.

Red maple leaves have serrations in the sinuses, and sugar maple leaves have long, and sometimes twisty points, no serrations in the sinuses.

Acer plantanoides spp. and "Crimson King" have really narrow sinuses, and are generally much larger leaves, they create DENSE shade...the better to shade out native trees/shrubs/grasses/forbs. Crimson king is purple all growing season.

Last edited by Prairiefreak; 10-18-2009 at 04:35 PM. Reason: forgot sumpin'
Prairiefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:53 PM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

Ya, and the Norway Maples that reverted to type don't have the deep warm reds to them in fall like the sugar and red maples. Don't you have any neighbors flanking their front door way with burning beasts? It's the rage in my town. You're a nobody in my town if you don't have at least two and a bradford for a focal point.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:29 PM   #8
Salamander

The glowing red balls are up and down the streets. The burning bush is used by Churches and Christians that want a representative of the bush described in Exodus.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:28 AM   #9
Heron

I think that's great there banning Euonymus alatus. But I always worry that some well meaning but over zealous person/people will also remove some native Euonymus.
E. americanus, hearts-a-bursting; E. atropurpureus, wahoo or burning bush and E. ovovatus, running strawberry bush are all natives to eastern half. E.occidents, western burning bush is native to the west coast.
All native Euonymus are threaten. I hope the some education will be provided so mistakes aren't made.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:22 PM   #10
Unicellular Fungi

Burning bushes are everywhere. Is this going to be a battle of the burning bushes? I would be happy to add some photos of these shrubs.

milkweed, would you like information on how to tell the difference between the invasive and mild mannered native species?

Tags
bad, boys, burning bush, euonymus alatus, gonna, invasive, whatch