Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Invasive Species > Invasive & Potentially Invasive Flora

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2009, 01:34 PM   #11
Grub

LOL!!!

Quote:
You're a nobody in my town if you don't have at least two and a bradford for a focal point.
So true here as well! I also get a huge kick out of all of the people that keep trying japanese maples in our 6 inches of old farm soil on top of clay in full sun. And they wonder why they die?!!!
Old 10-23-2009, 06:17 PM   #12
Heron

Sure go ahead Lenox.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:35 PM   #13
Unicellular Fungi

I will take some photos of leaves for you milkweed. That will make it easy.

Battling burning bushes begins.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Boys Bad Boys... whatch gonna do when they come for you...-bb05.jpg   Bad Boys Bad Boys... whatch gonna do when they come for you...-bb06.jpg   Bad Boys Bad Boys... whatch gonna do when they come for you...-bb07.jpg  
Old 10-24-2009, 07:19 PM   #14
WG Facilitator

Oh how pretty.

Just kidding.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:02 PM   #15
Official Plant Nerd

I know this place where they have a row of bright red bowling ball burning bushes in front of a drive through I think. The outside signage is red to match the balls of fire. It's ghastly. I have to take a photo for you to toss in for the battle. Cheeseland ain't got nothin on us flatlanders.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:56 AM   #16
Official Plant Nerd

I took these photos of neighbor's burning bushes and forgot to add them. Every year about this time I go out and find 25 little blotches of bright red offspring in my woods from neighbors' plants. You can't miss em. They stand out like sore thumbs looking like somebody flew a plane overhead emptying a can of red paint. They hand pull easy when they're first year seedlings. I still need to get that row of red bowling balls.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Boys Bad Boys... whatch gonna do when they come for you...-img_0303.jpg   Bad Boys Bad Boys... whatch gonna do when they come for you...-img_0306.jpg  
Old 10-25-2009, 01:08 AM   #17
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

I had a real hard time digging up an old one here. It was incredible how hard it was to get out of the ground. Big old thing, too.
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:46 PM   #18
Unicellular Fungi

Why swamp thing. You should have taken pictures of the process. It would be inspirational to see someone removing one as opposed to fertilizing and pruning it as if it was a specimen plant.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Boys Bad Boys... whatch gonna do when they come for you...-img_0310.jpg   Bad Boys Bad Boys... whatch gonna do when they come for you...-img_0311.jpg   Bad Boys Bad Boys... whatch gonna do when they come for you...-img_0304.jpg  
Old 10-25-2009, 11:59 PM   #19
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

Lorax, that would have been fine, as long as there was no audio! @#$%^& - (I need a hear-no-evil icon!)
Here in Pennsylvania, the state lists burning bush / Euonymus alatus as an invasive species, "a serious threat to our native ecosystems", which it surely is, especially in shaded woods, from what I see. But they are still sold.

I admit the Euonymus fall color is spectacular, but it's no redder than the Aronia / chokeberry shrubs are. Aronia seems to be catching on a little bit lately - the closest nursery to my house has large (four gallon pot?) Aronia 'Brilliant' for $80 bucks, which seems awfully steep. Burning bush / Euonymus alatus is very easy to propagate by cuttings, so it's a sure thing for nurseries, I guess. But I was able to start dozens of Aronia plants by seed, and they are as red as anything.

We have to start putting better alterNATIVES out there for people to pick up on!

That's my new thing, when I hear someone say "burning bush", I say "Aronia/chokeberry", or "blueberry". "Why don't you plant a highbush blueberry instead? You could be eating the fruit." or, "Too bad they planted those burning bushes, they only look nice two weeks out of the year.." etc.
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:16 AM   #20
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp thing View Post
That's my new thing, when I hear someone say "burning bush", I say "Aronia/chokeberry", or "blueberry". "Why don't you plant a highbush blueberry instead? You could be eating the fruit." or, "Too bad they planted those burning bushes, they only look nice two weeks out of the year.." etc.
Excellent idea. You're not only downplaying the only advantage of getting one, you're planting (pun intended) the nagging idea that they could be getting so much more if they planted something else.

Here's the "I have to remove another invasive" icon.

Tags
bad, boys, burning bush, euonymus alatus, gonna, invasive, whatch