Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Invasive Species > Invasive & Potentially Invasive Flora

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2009, 08:55 PM   #21
Official Plant Nerd

Retraction... I can't get any photos of Ailanthus leaves. My camera went to camera heaven today. Hack and squirt will work on Ailanthus, PCA Alien Plant Working Group - Tree-of-Heaven (Ailanthus altissima) Look for an herbicide with the active ingredient of triclopyr. That's worked for me.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:50 PM   #22
WG Facilitator

Oh no - your camera! What are we going to do without all the photos you take for us?!?!?!?
Old 10-05-2009, 10:00 PM   #23
Official Plant Nerd

I found out a few minutes ago from Sage they're still making the PowerShot S2 IS. Finding one is going to be trickier. If you think you'll be in rough shape... think about me. My lower lip is quivering while I'm typing. I do have around 200 photos to post from this last week. Hedgerowe has a boatload too even with all the rain. You learn to snap fast and hope rain drops aren't in the image or wait for a break then shoot away fast. It rained every day she was in IL excpet today. Sucks doesn't it.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:11 PM   #24
Pope

What's a little rain? It was nothing. Although, come to think of it, the camera died after being used in the rain for three days. Unfortunate coincidence? Possibly not...continually filling up my memory card (and therefore being unable to use the darned thing) may have saved my putzy little point and shoot!
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:45 AM   #25
Too Wild To Garden

*phew!* I had briefly feared that there was tree-of-heaven in my yard, but thank goodness, it appears to be plain-old staghorn sumac. Hooray!

Near my workplace is a tree that I hadn't been able to identify. The leaves have those charastic hooks on them, so either it's tree-of-heaven or something similar.

Fortunately, even though it is a mature tree, it doesn't have any offspring growing near it. Either it is male, or something about the area is inhospitable to it. I suspect the former.
Stoloniferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:39 AM   #26
Grub

Thanks for the post about the "hook". I just figured out that my parents have one of these monsters at their house! I had always thought it was some sort of sumac. My dad calls it a "monkey tree". I should have known! It will not be long of this earth...
Old 10-06-2009, 08:10 PM   #27
Fox

Default Everywhere you look...

The "agricultural pest" has found its way into an apple orchard near here. Apple-picking is under way; this row of trees was picked this week (looks like they missed one!).
Attached Thumbnails
Gag Me... Tree of Heaven-ailanthus-apple-orchard.jpg  
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:08 AM   #28
Official Plant Nerd

Back to Ailanthus.... I know everyone's going to be beside themselves with grief (LOL), http://woodlandstewards.osu.edu/arti...lt_handout.pdf. Probably too soon to laugh since we don't know that much about this but the thought of this puts a big fat smile on my face. "Tree death is rapid."
Old 06-17-2010, 06:00 AM   #29
Salamander

Verticillium albo-atrum. . .

I'd love something that could knock out Ailanthus that easily (we've been doing hack-and-squirt), but it looks like some other things are susceptible, too:

Selecting Trees for Your Home - Verticillium Wilt [Shrubs and Trees] (Verticillium albo-atrum and V. dahliae)

Now, if the scientists can modify it so it somehow only attacks Ailanthus, I'm all for it!
Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:38 PM   #30
Fox

Default Glyphosate (Roundup active ingredient) not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Hack and squirt will work on Ailanthus, PCA Alien Plant Working Group - Tree-of-Heaven (Ailanthus altissima) Look for an herbicide with the active ingredient of triclopyr. That's worked for me.
I was involved last summer in a hack and squirt treatment on a tree with about an eight inch diameter, using glyphosate (recommended by our local state forester). The tree appeared to die. A few days ago I checked on it, and there are numerous root sprouts that have recently appeared around the tree. Earlier this year the area around the tree was sprayed with a glyphosate solution, appearing to kill the honeysuckle growing there (and anything else, of course). I noticed also that both honeysuckle bush and vine have begun to resprout. Perhaps triclopyr is more effective.
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ailanthus, altissima, gag, heaven, tree, tree of heaven, verticillium albo-atrum