Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Invasive Species > Invasive & Potentially Invasive Flora

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2009, 09:36 PM   #21
WG Staff

Quote:
One of them is the town's practice of planting Norway maples as a street tree (the hideous "Schwedleri" cultivar no less).
Wonderful stewardship to the land amelanchier.
Quote:
I made a short in-person presentation to the township supervisors (at their public meeting) about their ailanthus problem, and they actually have begun a treatment procedure.
Wonderful stewardship to the land benji1.
Attached Thumbnails
My letter to the neighbors-fireworks-2.jpg  
Old 09-19-2009, 02:10 PM   #22
WG Facebook Administrator

Well, I got it all done today! I chopped down every buckthorn and honeysuckle and girdled every Norway maple in that alley - and also put a good dent in the Solanum dulcamara population. In a neat twist, I found some patches of Bidens. In a disturbing twist, I found a large patch of Japanese knotweed - still young, however, and right next to the foundations of the businesses on the other side of the alley, so I think they will end up taking care of them.

No one showed up to help, but some showed up to talk. The problem in my neighborhood is that most people are elderly, and the rest seemingly have children. So either the time or the ability is lacking. The couple who own the house with the buckthorn in the garden showed up, and we had a nice chat. They didn't know what it was and had just moved in about 2 years ago. They're in their 80s, so I offered to come by and chop it down for them, which they were happy to have me do.
amelanchier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:45 PM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
They're in their 80s, so I offered to come by and chop it down for them, which they were happy to have me do.
You're a good neighbor.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:54 PM   #24
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelanchier View Post
I chopped down every buckthorn and honeysuckle and girdled every Norway maple in that alley

No one showed up to help, but some showed up to talk.

I offered to come by and chop it down for them, which they were happy to have me do.
Way to go! Sorry you didn't have any help cleaning up the neighborhood mess. I imagine the fact that some showed up to talk is a good thing. . .

I'm glad the neighbors were willing to part with the buckthorn.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:18 PM   #25
Fox

Default Now the fun begins...

Quote:
Well, I got it all done today! I chopped down every buckthorn and honeysuckle and girdled every Norway maple in that alley
They are not called invasives for nothing. You know they'll fight back next year!
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:51 PM   #26
WG Facilitator

Maybe by then a couple of neighbors will be back to help out. If not, see if you can borrow or rent a goat for a week.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:13 AM   #27
WG Facebook Administrator

Heh, heh... Well, at least it'll be easier to keep on top of them next year. I'm sure there are some little babies there now that I missed. With any luck, though, one immediate effect will be fewer babies in my garden next spring.

Now what I'm hoping is that this information will get some people thinking & eventually deciding to control the invasives on their own property. There are a few mature Norways right around my house, so that's what it's going to take.
amelanchier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:01 AM   #28
Fox

Quote:
Well, I got it all done today! I chopped down every buckthorn and honeysuckle and girdled every Norway maple in that alley - and also put a good dent in the Solanum dulcamara population. In a neat twist, I found some patches of Bidens. In a disturbing twist, I found a large patch of Japanese knotweed - still young, however, and right next to the foundations of the businesses on the other side of the alley, so I think they will end up taking care of them.

No one showed up to help, but some showed up to talk. The problem in my neighborhood is that most people are elderly, and the rest seemingly have children. So either the time or the ability is lacking. The couple who own the house with the buckthorn in the garden showed up, and we had a nice chat. They didn't know what it was and had just moved in about 2 years ago. They're in their 80s, so I offered to come by and chop it down for them, which they were happy to have me do.
It's always good to hear of progress being made against invasive species.

It's unfortunate that you didn't get any help, but I have no doubt that you have raised the awareness about invasive species in your neighborhood. It's easy for me to imagine that some of your neighbors will see something in the news or in a newspaper in the future, and when they do they will be thinking "hey, that's what my neighbor was talking about ... He knows all about invasive species.". Just knowing that a neighbor cares about something raises the sensitivity to that something.

You've obviously done a good job of presenting your case if people are letting you come into their yards to remove some of their plants.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
letter, neighbors